shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with finding an emerald...

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Let me start off by saying that my mother is notoriously difficult to buy for...

That said, my mom's birthday is coming up and I am a bit at a loss.

My mom reset her engagement diamond many years ago but still has her original engagement setting (classic platinum basket setting for a round stone flanked by a baguette on each side). She has recently acquired an emerald slide and emerald earrings that she loves--so I thought maybe setting a beautiful emerald in her old setting might be a nice gift for her to go along with those pieces...

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything (anything at all!) about emeralds--all I know is what I like colorwise (deep deep colors without cloudiness)...I know my mom wouldn't care if it was natural or treated or anything, but I would love to know more on my search!

Thanks so much in advance!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
alli_esq|1300381194|2874041 said:
Let me start off by saying that my mother is notoriously difficult to buy for...

That said, my mom's birthday is coming up and I am a bit at a loss.

My mom reset her engagement diamond many years ago but still has her original engagement setting (classic platinum basket setting for a round stone flanked by a baguette on each side). She has recently acquired an emerald slide and emerald earrings that she loves--so I thought maybe setting a beautiful emerald in her old setting might be a nice gift for her to go along with those pieces...

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything (anything at all!) about emeralds--all I know is what I like colorwise (deep deep colors without cloudiness)...I know my mom wouldn't care if it was natural or treated or anything, but I would love to know more on my search!

Thanks so much in advance!

Lovely idea!

A few things you might want to consider:

- round emeralds are a rare beast as the rough lends itself to rectangular shapes and the material is at it's best in step cuts rather than brilliant cuts.

- you need to find a stone based on mm size not ct weight to fit an existing setting.

- the colour and clarity you like is also the market premium so it's going to be expensive. Some 'jardin' as the cloudiness is called is common in most emeralds and isn't always a bad thing - lots of people like them.

- treatments. 99% of emeralds are oiled, they can also be filled with things like Opticon. Personally I'm happy with Opticon but many others wouldn't be.

- consider looking at cabochons rather than faceted stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results