shape
carat
color
clarity

Obsessed with this Ring- Can it be replicated?

ked123

Rough_Rock
I am looking into gemstones for a RHR. I am drooling over this spessartite ring in the Tiffany legacy setting. Apparently, they are charging between $6,200 to $12,000 for this ring (depending on the size, of course)! This is way out of my budget.

Any suggestions on how/where I could replicate this, at a fraction of the cost? Is Spessartite a particularly expensive stone, or is this the typical Tiffany markup?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=24667111

ked123

Rough_Rock
I think I am getting confused with the post below mentioning Spessartite at $200/ct and under. I don't see how they are nearing $12K for this ring, even with the diamond setting.

I suppose it doesn't matter as I will not be purchasing from Tiffany; I just want to understand what a reasonable budget for this type of ring would be, and sources to look at to make it.

I would like around 2 carats for the main stone.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
You can find the 2ct center for under $1000. The setting might be like $300 if you get one of the ebay chinese imports or $3000 if you want someone like whiteflash to make you a high end piece, either way you are correct that 12k is way too expensive for what it is!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ked123|1300250914|2872963 said:
I am looking into gemstones for a RHR. I am drooling over this spessartite ring in the Tiffany legacy setting. Apparently, they are charging between $6,200 to $12,000 for this ring (depending on the size, of course)! This is way out of my budget.

Any suggestions on how/where I could replicate this, at a fraction of the cost? Is Spessartite a particularly expensive stone, or is this the typical Tiffany markup?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=24667111

Most of the cost of that ring is going into Tiffany & Co.'s high operating costs. No, it should be worth a fraction of that price. Not sure if you want to go the custom route, or through a very inexpensive Chinese setting, but the cost to you should be anywhere from $1200K to $3K (the latter being the custom route).

I reproduced a very similar looking ring for around $800 with a 3.5 carat very clean spessartite, and an inexpensive, but nicely made Chinese setting legacy repro from the store, "Lord of the Gem Rings" on ebay with upgraded diamonds. Since metal prices have risen, I'm assuming it would be $1200 now, and of course, I would find the cushion stone before gtting the setting. I would have the setting made to fit the stone. Some dealers charge a fortune with spessaratites, and some are very fair or reasonable. I have found with spessartites, you need to shop around. No one sells mandarin color for less money than ebay stores odysseygem and gemburionline (I know, I did a lot of searching), but you might find some inclusions in them, and depending on the type and how many, they might not be eye visible. I bought mine from a vendor other than those stores, but I found out he bought it from an ebay store. It was still reasonable though. Just be careful of stones that have too much brown.

The only thing you really wouldn't be able to replicate is the Legacy cut, as that is a proprietary cut owned by Tiff & Co.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While the cost of spessartites has gone up tremendously in the last few years, they are still quite affordable and relatively inexpensive compared to certain species of gemstones. A 2 carat center stone can range anywhere from $200 all the way to $1000 depending on the quality and who you purchase it from. In terms of the setting, again, depending on the quality you are looking for, you can get a very inexpensive Chinese made setting for $500 all the way to a handmade reproduction for $5000.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results