shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby pricing and info..

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
I am in LOVE with Rubies, and I would love to wear a big one on my wedding day! At a jewellers the other day they had a 3.03 carat oval natural ruby for $985 - this is Aussies dollars btw. So, I was wondering, if this a good price? I didn't ask about grading because I couldn't remember what the grading system is like for rubies... Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is impossible to say from your post.

First of all, how is the colour? Is it a bright, stop light red or a deeper wine colour?

Is it included or eye clean?

What is the origin? There is a large premium for Burma rubies while Afrincan rubies are generally less expensive?

And, perhaps most important, what is the treatment level? There are a lot of treatments for rubies, from gentle heat to improve clarity all the way to flux (and the "extreme" version, where pieces or rubies are "glued" together) and BE heating.

If you are talking about an untreated Burma ruby of great colour, you would have the deal of the century in your hands, as those stones would easily reach many tens of thousands of dollars (or even six figure prices). If you are looking at a heavily treated, included stone, then it is a rip off :D

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
Ok, so there is lots that I have to find out! Is there a link or a tutorial where I can learn a bit more about rubies? And is there a grading system, like GIA, but for rubies?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
For that price I would wonder exactly how much was ruby and how much was lead glass if it looked good and was that size. Fine rubies are much more expensive than comparable sized white diamonds.

If it is opaque and a so-so colour then the price is a total rip-off.

Sadly there is no grading system for coloured stones in the way that there are for diamonds. It's a case of doing a lot of looking and learning what makes a good stone and what makes a great stone and what makes a poor stone and the reasons why one stone may cost 5 a carat, another $500 a carat, another $5k a carat and another $50k a carat.

Personally due to the current issues with treatment in rubies I am steering well clear of them unless they come from a tried and trusted dealer.

As far as PS vendors go, Richard Wise probably has some of the nicest rubies around - but expect to pay appropriate prices!

Have you considered a red spinel? Good ones aren't cheap but they are a lot less than rubies and don't have the treatment issues.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately good quality rubies are few and far between. For anything over 1ct for good quality material you'll be paying more than you've been quoted for the 3ct ring.

I suspect that for the price you mentioned you're going to get a highly treated Ruby. Highly treated Rubies are not expensive but they can be pretty. They won't be heirlooms and you won't be able to sell on for thousands more than you bought it for but if you want an inexpensive Ruby and one that'll look pretty it might do the job!

To give you some indication, on TV shopping channels (and I just happened to notice this yesterday in a bored moment!) there was a highly treated Ruby in a plan setting (no diamonds) of 4ct and it was being sold for £149 (think that's about $240 or so).

One other thing you should know ............ many jewellers won't really understand the treatments, level of treatments or be able to assess the Ruby correctly. So reading up on what's available is a good starting point.

http://www.gemguide.com/news/1108GMNWOGC.pdf
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/ruby_sapphire_borders.htm
http://www.giathai.net/pdf/Ruby-Glass_Composites.pdf

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results