shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you let anyone else try on your ring(s)?

Would you let someone try your rings on?

• Yes, no harm no foul.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Yes, but only if they're family.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, but only if they're friends/family.

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • Yes, but only if they're friends, screw family.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • No because thats gross, ugh!

• Not only no, but HAYAL NO! Are you on something?

• Other

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm curious. I've been asked before by women I don't know personally and I've always said no. Of my friends, only 1 has ever tried on any of my rings, the rest of them are have tiny hands.

To answer my own poll, I say only friends or family. I think its so mega rude to ask someone to wear something so personal if you don't know them. I will compliment rings all day long but if we are not tight like that not only would I NOT want to try on your ring, I wouldn't want to touch your hand period. (I also don't like to shake hands because lets face it, some folks just aren't clean).

So question: if asked do you let someone try them on? And why or why not?

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I let my classmates and family.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I'm ok with family and friends, (and I have a very small family) but would never let someone not close to me, nor would I want to try on someone else's that I didn't feel close to... if I want to try on random rings, I'll go to a jewelry store.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
qualifying my answer:

mostly, the answer is NO
with the exception of my mom (who NEVER asks but I offer); I even get rings to fit certain fingers knowing she could borrow them
and my daughter, who is only one year old now; I cannot see denying her trying on anything she wants

and finally, never my engagement/wedding ring
my marriage may be over but the diamond is an heirloom (my family) and the ring is sacred to me still

fun poll :) made me think

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't let strangers handle anything, and none of my family would ever ask to try on my rings. On the other hand, there are a few PSers who I'd gladly let try on anything they want. If someone has a similar love of jewelry and gemstones, and isn't just being critical or petty, then I'm much more generous and open. Sure, there's some sentiment attached to a few pieces, but it's still just stuff, after all.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
For me, it really depends-it depends on the ring, the person, and the situation. I would prefer just family (which I voted for), but if any of my close friends ever asked I'd probably let them-so long as they don't say anything snarky about the size of the stone or the like. I've let my MIL try on my antique diamond ring (not an heirloom), but I get a little touchy when anyone wants to try on anything my grandmother left me that is an heirloom.

In fact, I have a little story for you guys. My mom took me into this small 'antiques' shop next to the Publix around where they live. She'd been in there before and knew the two owners (a husband and wife) and I decided to check it out and see what they had. I got a weird vibe off of the wife when I met her, she was very snobby and had this sort of judgmental air about her. The second time I came with my mom, she wore a pair of beautiful earrings that my grandmother had left us, and I was wearing an art deco bracelet with diamonds that my grandmother also left me. When the lady saw my bracelet she asked to try it on and as I proceeded to tell her how much I loved it since it had been my grandmother's, who passed away last year, she then OFFERED to buy it from me. Ugh. I told her it was not for sale and she insisted, saying it was so delicate and pretty, etc. I told her that I didn't plan on ever selling it since it's an heirloom, and she still had the nerve to say, "well, when you DO decide to sell it, come see me," with a smug look on her face. I told my mom never to go there again (which she did anyways...sigh.) Oh and that's not even the last of it, when my mom showed her my grandmother's heirloom earrings, she began to berate the quality of the diamonds. They have a couple of visible inclusions, but are for the most part clear and besides, that's not something you say to someone!

Ranting aside, I'm fine with letting anyone try on my cheap sterling silver rings. Anything more valuable, and I would prefer family and friends, and as for heirlooms-I would prefer ONLY family. My MIL tried on a (most likely synthetic) ruby ring that was my grandmother's and it touched a nerve when my in laws joked about her keeping it.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
For me it would all just depend on who was asking and which ring(s) they were asking about.

I don't think anyone has ever asked except for my sister, and I'd gladly let her try on any of my rings. I'd let her wear any of them, too, except for my wedding/e-rings (she wouldn't ask).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Family and friends, yes. What I don't let them do is walk off with them!! :o

Actually, what bugs me most is when people touch the tables of my stones. I am anal about keeping them very clean, and I have friends that go "Oh I like that!!" and point to the stone and touch it. Grrrrrr!! :angryfire:

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I've never had random people ask to wear my rings but friends and family I don't have an issue with. Share the beauty. :love:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have no problem with friends and family trying on my rings. I haven't been asked all that much, though.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have no problem with friends and family trying on my rings. I haven't been asked all that much, though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never had random strangers ask to wear anything I own but I have no issues with friends and family trying any of my jewellery on as long as I am present.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Family (mostly my sisters and daughters) are welcome to try on my jewelry, and my close friends would be welcome to do so, although none of my close friends are really interested enough in jewelry to ask. Random acquaintances? Under no circumstances.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely for family and friends. Never someone I barely know. I have one friend who loves trying on my ER and WR whenever I see her and it doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes at work the front staff person(s) might ask to try it on and I let her as I don't want to be rude or hurt her feelings by saying I would rather not. I always keep my eyes on the rings anyway.

I would never let a stranger try them though.

Also, I would never let anyone but my mom (it was hers originally) or sister try on/borrow my black Opal though since it is very fragile.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1299762860|2868738 said:
I have never had random strangers ask to wear anything I own but I have no issues with friends and family trying any of my jewellery on as long as I am present.

But what if you mail it to a friendly PS'er to try on?? :naughty:

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just friends and family for me, but no stranger has ever asked me tbh. I would probably just say I couldn't get the ring off if they did though, to be polite. Well, unless I knew I would never see them again I suppose, then I could be more blunt. :rodent:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I know the person, sure, why not?

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't get many requests to try on my rings. Usually they just ask to have a closer look. If someone did ask, sure, I'd let them.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
...now that I think about it, someone asking to try on your ring isn't that bad, flattering really. The thing that annoys me the most are the people who have to know how expensive it was!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Deathspi|1299790797|2869026 said:
...now that I think about it, someone asking to try on your ring isn't that bad, flattering really. The thing that annoys me the most are the people who have to know how expensive it was!

That's just rude and unclassy. Do they ask your weight and age while they're at it?

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
lavatea|1299791417|2869042 said:
Deathspi|1299790797|2869026 said:

That's just rude and unclassy. Do they ask your weight and age while they're at it?

I can't stand it, but sadly it happens more than people wanting to try on my rings!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
We'd have to be VERY close for me to allow you to try on my rings. In fact, one of my best girlfriends always requests to try on my engagement ring when I see her (a few times/year) - which doesn't bother me at all since we're such good friends and I know part of it is because she'd love a diamond of her own.

Anyone else would need to pry it from my cold, dead hands. :))

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The random person sitting next to me on the bus... no (although if it was a very long bus journey and we'd got chatting then probably).

Otherwise, anyone can try on my rings - although I will tick you off if you plonk your thumb on the table. I actually like looking at my rings on other people's hands - totally different view!
if she sh
Oh, and I like to try on other people's rings. One of the girls in my gemmology class knows that if she shows me new bling I'll have it off - her fingers in seconds to look at properly (she has some gorgeous bling).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would let family and friends try on my rings.

If they touch the gemstone I want to smack their hands though. I also hate when someone comments on one of my rings and reaches over and touches the table of my diamond or gem. Especially in jewelry stores where they should know better!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have to laugh about the touching the table bit. Long before PS I had my diamond cleaned at a very nice jewelery stone, and the jeweler handed me back my clean ring and the light caught it just right and I could see the big ole thumbprint right on the table. He was really surprised :o when I promptly handed the ring back to him for another cleaning. :twirl:

Perfect strangers never ask to try on my jewelry, but given the right circumstances, I would let someone try on a piece of mine. It's fun to share the joy of beautiful jewelry.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I get asked a lot and I really could care less. I don't see any harm in them trying it on or taking a closer look. I have nothing to hide and it is purely for educational or fun purposes. Very few people can get my rings on anyways .. haha .. but they can look :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results