shape
carat
color
clarity

Sniping on Ebay- ethical?

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I'm wondering how everyone feels about using a sniping service for their much-desired ebay items? I've been on ebay for years and have won many auctions either by simply entering my max bid from the start and letting the price escalate accordingly, or being involved in the last-minute bidding wars. I found something I REALLY wanted (jewelry-wise) and gave in to the lure of a sniping service. I'm using the service partly because I'll be asleep when this auction ends but also because I believe it can be had for less than my max bid. The auction hasn't ended yet, but now I feel guilty for giving in.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance....

ps Did I mention I REALLY want this item and have been looking for something like it forever :tongue: ?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I always snipe using gixen.com. In the end the person willing to pay the most wins so I don't see an ethical conflict, especially since sniping is free and available to everyone. It's also just a nice way to view a manage the stuff I'm bidding on.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I believe it's ethical and with the way ebay has evolved, almost necessary.

There are no shortage of stories of sellers who used friends/family/duplicate accounts to drive up the price of the auction when you put your best bid in and then let the auction happen. This becomes harder to do with a sniping environment because the 'max bid' of a buyer isn't disclosed until the final moments of the auction.

With that protection from price inflation comes a bit of risk taking, too - like everything, it's a trade off. Sniping at the final moments helps to avoid exploitation of your max bid, but it also comes with the risk that you'll lose the auction if someone else's bid comes after yours or higher than yours. Risk and reward.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I didn't even know this type of service existed! Hmmmm..... off to check this out.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
And since I always admire your taste, Fountainfairfax .... I will now spend the remainder of my day sleuthing ebay for that one true treasure!

j/k! I won't do that. But I am SO CURIOUS!!!! Welcome back!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I've not done it, but I think it would be a good idea. Ever since they changed the disclosure, so that the bider's id is not shown, I have noticed the bidding seems rigged more often. I think the change made it easier for the buyer to have "plants" doing the bidding.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL, I always thought that was just a saying! I didn't know it was an actual service, but I'm one of those annoying people that does not bid until the last minute and then jumps in with my max price, so I thought I was a "sniper", but I only do that with items I really want.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I think it's perfectly ethical because that's the way ebay is set up. I do it, lots of other people do it, and I expect others interested in the same thing I am to do it too. I just load my snipe with the most I'm willing to pay and cross my fingers. May the best bid win.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if it's ethical or not, but they give you the ability to do it, so I do it. Now, shill bidding on the other hand, I think that's highly unethical.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I always bid in the last 20 seconds - I learnt to do that right from early on as it gives you a better chance of winning at a lower price. Plus, before they made IDs private (grrr) I used to check out the other bidders to see if they were trade or ordinary consumers, collectors or one offs and the kind of prices they would pay for similar things. Now I can just check when they are likely to bid - ie early or at the last minute.

If I REALLY want something or if the auction is at a time when I'm not around then I use Bidnapper. I also bid things like £21.56 rather than £20.00 which gives you a bit of an edge if others aren't doing the same. Totally ethical to my mind.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've sniped and I have no problem with it, particularly for auctions that end when I'm not able to enter a last minute bid. I don't think it gives you a particular edge over other bidders, since everyone has the option to enter the highest amount they're willing to pay at any time. It probably does work to the disadvantage of sellers since it can tamp down or prevent last-minute bidding wars, but even with a sniper your highest bid gets entered and will raise the price either for you or for the person who wins instead of you! There have been times when I've decided against using a sniping tool when I it looks like the lead bidder is a newbie who might not know the ins and outs of bidding on ebay.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I didn't even know this service was available. I figured if I couldn't bid on it at the last minute, that was money I saved! hmmmm...now off to look at gixen.com

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
decodelighted|1299776319|2868855 said:
And since I always admire your taste, Fountainfairfax .... I will now spend the remainder of my day sleuthing ebay for that one true treasure!

j/k! I won't do that. But I am SO CURIOUS!!!! Welcome back!

Thanks for the welcome, Deco! And thanks for the compliment on my taste, you know the revamping of "old stabby" is one of my all-time favorites!
So funny, but long ago I would've posted the link and asked for opinions :cheeky:

For anyone interested, I didn't win the auction but in the last few minutes crazily bid by myself trying to win. I'm sure it was worth the final price but I didn't act quick enough.

Thanks for everyone's responses, I'm glad that sniping isn't considered to be unethical. I'm sure I'll use the service again.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of this service, either, and wonder if there is a charge for this? I am selling some stuff right now and a few items aren't being bid as high as I am hoping to get for them. Hopefully they're being snipped. lol (they're not jewelry items...)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1299952618|2870243 said:
I've never heard of this service, either, and wonder if there is a charge for this?

I use auctionsniper.com - there's a charge but it's fairly small:

Auction won that ended at $25.00 USD or less $0.25 USD
Auction won that ended between $25.01 and $995.00 USD 1% of final price
Auction won that ended at $995.01 or more $9.95 USD

The charge applies only if you win the auction, and the first three snipes are free.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results