shape
carat
color
clarity

"F" or "G" Color Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Enquiry

Rough_Rock
I am arranging the purchase of an engagement ring, but am stuck on the issue of "color." My concern is between the "F" and "G" color ratings. Is there a discernible difference? The remaining diamond specs will be as follows: round brilliant, ideal, .75 carats, VS1 or VVS2, set in a white gold 6-prong setting. Please help me clarify this issue.

epigram

Rough_Rock
i've been shopping myself and only recently made my purchase.

i've been able, on most occasions, to discern between F and G colour (maybe 3 out of 4 times? this is a dead giveaway of how many jewellers i've visited to be able to come up with such a statistic)

the attributes that i think are in order of "obviousnes" are:
1. size
2. colour
3. cut
4. clarity

if you had to choose between F, VS1 or G, VVS2, I would go with F, VS1

walt2810

Rough_Rock
Look at them both w/o knowing which is G & F, then see if you can tell the difference. Some people can see the difference. I can't but my girlfriend can!!! She can tell the difference beteween a D & a E color when comparing side by side. And the the jeweler just showed her the diamond w/o telling her which is which!!!!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
plus think about this-------- there are numerous minute increments from an F to a G..........not all G's are the same nor are all F's. I refected a GIA F that seemed just too yellow..........clealry more than one grade away from the E i was comparing it to...........

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can I please clarify the previous replies of the consumers?

IF, and only IF the stone is checked in the proper lighting conditions (preferably with the light that I use on a daily basis), IF I am looking at the stone from the side, IF the stones are clean, IF I have no interference of sunlight, IF there is sufficient light outside (not a gloomy winter-evening) and IF I am not tired, I can grade a diamond as either F or G.

In the same conditions, I can see which one has a slightly more yellowish tint, if I am comparing two stones.

However, with all the above conditions remaining the same except for looking at the diamonds from the top, I will not see the difference between an F and a G, unless they are both extremely bad cut stones with little light return. In a well-cut round brilliant, the light returning will blind me, and it makes it impossible to truly judge the colour.

To make it more complicated, the higher the difference in cut-quality, the whiter a well-cut stone will look top-down.

If you found a stone that you love and that is in your budget, and your only problem is the graded one-colour-difference, then do not worry and buy that stone.

Live long,

epigram

Rough_Rock
agree with the clarification. i could only tell the diff between F and G because I compared them side by side from all angles, not only top down

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not tell F from G (forget about the D-F - that's worse) without allot of struggle and definitely not once they are mounted in anything. Minor differences of cut show more than color face up. It does not help that color grades are not awarded for the aparent color of diamonds in normal wearing conditions (top down and mounted)
nono.gif

Unless you want to use this diamond for something like Garry's Ekidna pendant (link).

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Round stones hide color MUCh more, because of the better optics for brilliance. Shaped stones like a Radiant, Pear, Oval, Marquis, and princess (among others) leak color like seives.

In shaped stones I can tell a E from an F, and especially a G from an F, and did so head on, in normal lighting, several times at jewelery stores. it freaked some jewelery out when they tried to trick me...
2.gif

Round stones, I guessed a well cut H to be an F and was shot down....

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
The color difference between F & G is so insignificant you probally would not be able to tell the difference face up after it is set. But after it is set, it will appear darker then when unset.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Whether or not you can discern a color difference, you have to ask "Does it even matter?"

Does color impact beauty? Read this post in the education forum: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/ed...diamond-eye-catching-or-beautiful-t15002.html

I spent my budget where I knew beauty would be impacted.

1. Cut (top 5%, HCA div>

2. size (largest I could afford) Size is visually obvious

3. Color (H-J to spend budget on cut and size) My stone is bright and beautiful stand alone. Maybe side by side, my stone looks warm vs. an icy D.

4. Clarity (had to be eye clean) No visual difference with a VVS

Go for D-F if you want to but don't assume it will be more beautiful on the finger vs. a well cut, larger, near colorless stone.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
All good answers so all this will be is my 2 cents.

In the real world where we live , that you view the diamond face up in a setting with no master stones to compare with.

No difference but price.

Best Regards
The Iceman

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I'd forget the VVS and stick w/ VS (actually, if I were you and trying to spread the budget, I'd look at SI1), and put the money from the VVS into a little larger stone or more colorless stone.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/18/2004 2:25:40 PM Iceman wrote:

In the real world where we live , that you view the diamond face up in a setting with no master stones to compare with.

No difference but price.

Best Regards
The Iceman----------------

Waaaay too much common sense for me, Ice.
2.gif
Great to see you btw.
wavey.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 10/18/2004 2:25:40 PM Iceman wrote:

No difference but price.

Best Regards
The Iceman----------------

Yea Ice!!! Good to cya round!!! Now hold on one second Ice ... since when do you live in the "real world"?
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results