shape
carat
color
clarity

Very upset at local news station... coverage went too far.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
A daycare cought fire here in my area this afternoon...

The news chopper was there almost immediately and was doing close up shots on the children as they lay lifeless on the ground, while the firefighters were trying to save them. Is this really ok to do????

Two of the 7 children who were in the daycare have passed away. There is no news on the other 5 just yet, but the 2 that passed away were 18 months and 3 years.

This is such a horrible situation, and I can't believe that the camera person in the chopper thought that showing those moments was appropriate! They were BABIES!

I understand that police and firefighters usually put up cloth walls, but these babies had literally just been pulled from the fire, and after trying to revive them for a few minutes, the firefighters began running the children to the 10 abulances that were waiting at the end of the street.
There were also close up shots of this, and you could see the children's heads and feet flopping as they ran.

I am so moritified by what I saw. I had to turn away becasue I began crying.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Re: Very upset at local news station... coverage went too fa

How devastating. I'm in tears just reading this. Oh, Mere, my prayers are with your entire community.

I can't imagine who in their right mind would think it's appropriate to televise the traumatic event as it unfolded. It seems so offensive and perverse to show children in the situation.

Lots and lots of prayers for comfort and recovery.

I'm just so saddened by this.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Yea, that's pretty insensitive. not cool.

When I was in high school, a man was on a local freeway attempting to jump or something. As they broadcasted this live, he blew his brains out... we saw chunks and lots of spewing. This was shown at 3-4pm, when all the kids were watching cartoons after school.

E B

Ideal_Rock

Absolutely unnecessary, and I'm guessing that channel will be getting a lot of angry calls about it. I'm sorry you had to see it. :blackeye:

meresal

Ideal_Rock

SS- I apologize, I did not mean to cause anyone to become upset. I couldn't figure out a way to use a disclaimer, without scaring people off.

Forte- Are you serious?!? That is just horrible. News stations don't know when to stop anymore.

EB- I just pressed send on my email. I have never ever written an email before, but I really hope I was not the only one!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I just saw the news report on the fire. :( poor babies.

That incident i saw happened back in 1995 or something. Long time ago. They did not show it again after the initial footage because parents started calling immediately.. it was pretty traumatizing.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

I actually saw this on my evening news... The footage was really hard to watch. Absolutely heartbreaking. ;(

drk

Brilliant_Rock

God, how awful. What if the poor parents see the coverage? It's enough to make anyone sick to their stomach, but it hits me harder now as a Mum.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock

Oh, gosh, Mere, I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't have posted. I went off looking for more info on it actually. I was just in shock over how insensitive greedy networks can be over poor little babies.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

Oh my gosh I can't even imagine. My prayers are with the families of those little babies :(

meresal

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for sharing ladies. Unfortunately they said that another one of children passed away, so that totals 3 so far. All of the kids at the center were between the ages of 18months and 3 yrs old.

This whole situation is so sad. I can't even imagine what these parents are going through.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

I can't imagine sending C off to daycare and then to find out such news.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is why my children DO NOT watch the news.

We decided to cancel our cable so DH and I read the news on the computer and in the paper. Yeah, I do think censorship IS APPROPRIATE in many situations!

Anyway, rant over. How sad for those kids and their families. :(

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock

I wound up teaching journalism for 6 years (as in, I have no background in journalism, but when I was a first year English teacher, I didn't want to rock the boat by saying no when I was asked to do it), so I was always paying attention to stuff like this. It happens more than you would think. . . . The people jumping on 9/11, a bloody kid holding up a sign saying, "1 bleeding to death in library" at Columbine, etc. I designed this whole unit around the ethics of the live broadcast of touchy material after this Jet Blue flight that had screwed up landing gear was filmed in the air and all the people on the flight were watching themselves on the news. If it had crashed, that would have been totally tasteless to show on air. But I think the problem is that when something is happening live, they don't really know what will happen. The solution is probably a delay in live broadcasts, but still, stuff will slip through, especially at the local level if your local news is anything like mine (as in, pretty lame and low-tech).

Anyway, on a personal level, that story just breaks my heart. ;( Ugh, I just can't read anything about hurt or killed children now that I'm a mother.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock

That is very sad meresal,

The last time that I was upset about news coverage, I wrote an email to the news station and subsequent news stories were edited so I suppose that they took my email into consideration. I would suggest doing the same thing.

I don't even watch the news anymore... it's the only way to get away from the sensationalism of such tragic events.

Gempassion

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

They're pretty strict on what they will show over here - thank goodness!

I looked the story up... 4 children have now died and two are still in hospital. :blackeye:

Looks like the daycare owner was cooking something on the stove, put all the kids into cribs and went to the grocery store! :-o Who the heck does that when they are looking after other people's children?

I don't even leave Daisy to go and take the rubbish out let alone go to the shops.

meresal

Ideal_Rock

Pandora, I have been out of town until this morning, so I haven't seen the updated story.

I gave the provider the benfit of the doubt from the beginning, so this is very very sad to see. Left to go to the grocery store. How horrible this is.

I don't understand, that if all these neighbors are so close and love her, why she didn't call one of them to run to the store for her? Devastating.

meresal

Ideal_Rock

The day care owner has fled the country... this just keeps getting worse and worse. I can't imagine what these parents and families are going thru right now.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

I read that she had an open pan of oil on the stove...

Why is this allowed anymore? My ex-bf burnt the kitchen down in his halls-of-residence at University making fries with one of these. It's a major source of housefires and it's just not necessary.

You can buy a deep-fat frier for very little that doesn't have this danger associated with it.

I can't believe that a home daycare would get a license if they were cooking with one of these.

In many of the cases where children are killed through accidents - the mother who forgets and leaves her child in a hot care, the mother of the little boy who walked off when she was asleep and fell in the mine pit etc - I have huge sympathy for the 'guilty party' and hope like hell that I'm never in that situation.

In this case though, just leaving the children on their own in the house is a major problem for me, add to that the stove and oil pan and we're taking gross negligence. Plus it wasn't like she was popping to the shop across the street - no, she got in a van and bought several bags worth of groceries - so she must have been gone a good 15-20 minutes.

Daisy is the same age as those kids... I can't imagine what their poor parents must be going through. I was on the point of fixing up a childminder for Daisy this week and this story has really made me rethink whether I'd rather try and get her into a nursery instead...

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock

Mere, I was sitting in the living room feeding Ellie and saw the breaking news report when it happened too. I was so shocked and soooooo sad (and in tears just like you) after watching the breaking news coverage where they showed the paramedics doing CPR on 3 different babies at the same time, all lined up one right beside the other in the front yard. And then when they ran the babies to the ambulances....devastating, heartbreaking. I agree, it was definitely too much. Being a pediatrician at the largest children's hospital in the country means I see heartbreaking things on a fairly regular basis, but we do our best to protect the privacy and dignity of our patients. There are some things that just don't need to be seen by the general public!!!

I hadn't heard that the daycare owner had fled the country...wow.

Absolutely horrible. :((

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock

OMG. I just saw the update about the daycare provider. I was also giving her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she had a bad case of diarrhea and couldn't get out of the bathroom after she started some mac and cheese or something. Obviously not. I can't imagine who in their right mind would think it's appropriate to leave a houseful of babies. It's just devastating. I'm so sad for all of these families. But I'm also saddened for the woman who has fled her country. Obviously the choices she made were awful. She probably will be going to prison for a very long time. She's so young, she made a series of devastating mistakes, her life is forever altered and she will always been knows as "that" girl. There is nothing she can do to ease any of the pain she's caused and that would be so awful to live with. I'd say "at least she's living," but I doubt she feels that way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results