shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Lantern ring for hubby

CamoKitty

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I have a fun project in mind that I could use some help with. There's no hurry or set budget (though lower is better lol) but I think he'd enjoy having this ring done for his birthday this coming June. His favorite DC hero is the Green Lantern, and although I got him this ring and hoodie for valentines day:

IMAG0884.jpg

He has a nickel allergy so he can't wear the ring as often as he'd like. We got it off a neat website, but we think it's plastic with some sort of silver coating. Either way, he says his finger starts to itch as soon as he puts it on...He can't wear his dogtags anymore cause they cause his neck to bleed ;(

What I'd like to do is either find or put together another ring for him that he can wear all the time. He's been pretty unhelpful as to what metal he prefers (just not silver obviously) and all he's given me is that he doesn't want the green stone in the center to be more than .5 ct equivalent in terms of spread.

Any suggestions as to what gem to put in it? Should it be faceted or a cab? What about the metal? Is titanium able to be worked into a ring like this or should we stick to white gold?

Also, how can i do this without getting sued by DC for copyright infringement? I looked on ebay and there are some collector's stuff that seems okay, but not quite what i had in mind.

Thanks in advance for your time. I'm pretty excited about this :)

CamoKitty

Rough_Rock
Sweet thanks! Lol I may pick up something for myself while i'm on that site ^_^ I'll show him when he gets off work and see what he thinks.

It's a little clunky for my tastes, but considering what he's wearing now :saint: It's not me wearing it anyway.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Good Luck!

As for a stone (if they can add one in the middle) I think a tsavorite would be a good stone. I would go with faceted too keep the profile low.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I think chrysoprase for the center stone. Glowy and green.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never heard of allergy to silver as it is a very non reactive metal but my guess lies more along with nickel allergy so I would avoid white gold as a precaution. Titanium is also a good choice. Faceted or cabochon is a personal preference although if he’s planning to wear it often, then a cabochon generally holds up better in the long run. It will be more helpful to know the actual spread in millimeter rather than 0.5 ct because a 0.5 ct corundum is going to be a lot smaller than a 0.5 ct beryl.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
He may not have the same allergies to fine 999 silver, of course, maybe that's not a good choice for a ring either....

But... I have purchased items from the following etsy seller and I bet you could have her do a custom job with the green being green cement? Sounds weird, but her stuff is awesome. I realize this is a colored stone thread, but in case you're up for considerng alternatives...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62729156/little-hedgehog-necklace-in-silver-and

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Silver plated items are usually coated first with nickel, and then silver plated, to insure a proper bond. Since sterling silver alloys don't usually contain nickel, I imagine that your husband reacted to the plating method and should be fine with sterling silver. To be on the safe side, you could look for someone that rolls their own sheet and wire, just to be sure that it is the traditional 0.925 fine silver and 0.075 copper alloy.

White gold can hide a few surprises - it is usually rhodium plated, which would not be good. There are also several different alloys and I believe that nickel white gold is still used in the US although it is forbidden in Europe. Making that ring out of titanium would be a pain. Titanium can only be soldered in inert gas atmosphere, which isn't really doable for jewelry. So it would have to be machined out of a large hunk of metal and put together with rivets and other cold connections. I can't imagine making a titanium bezel (although I would guess someone, somewhere, has tried to).

As for the stone, my first choice would be a good piece of jade, but that would bust any budget :(( So I second the chrysopase suggestion.

CamoKitty

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I'm new to buying colored stones and the like so any good places to potentially purchase from?

I think his allergy has more to do with the nickel content as well, so i'd have no idea how he'd do with white gold since his wedding band is tungsten. Lol, i suppose i could have him wear my plain band on his pinky for a day to see what happens? It's not like he goes into anaphylaxis at the slightest touch. I like the idea of titanium. Not sure how successful it's been used as bezels, but tension-sets have been pretty good...his watch is stainless steel so i know he's not reactive to that, but I don't see that used much in jewelry at all. Hrmm...

My hubby will be pretty much happy with anything i hand him. :rolleyes: I could give him a laminated piece of paper with the logo colored on it and he'd be perfectly fine.

@k9muttlover: OMG that little hedgehog pendant is so cute!!! She's got some pretty neat stuff on her site :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard that painting the inside of the ring with clear nailpolish and letting it dry will help avoid nickel allergies. Never tried it though.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm also allergic to nickel in plated, and some sterling silver jewellery. I thought I would be okay with White gold until I got my e-ring then after about a month I started having a reaction. Now I can't wear it for more than a week. In other words, you should be careful, maybe the seller might know if theirs nickel in the gold? It's a real pain and I don't know what to suggest, and from my experience the nail polish doesent work very well. Good luck anyway!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think he would likely be ok with 999 fine silver too. Also in the chrysoprase nice piece of jade camp.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I saw your post this morning, and I really love the idea. I don't have much else to add that no one hasn't already said/suggested, but I came across this ring while browsing on eBay and decided to post it if only for a setting idea: http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-GREEN-DIAM...010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa9115faa

The center kinda looks like a green lantern ring and it's made of gold. I'm not advocating that you buy it, but I just found it ironic that I came across it today.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that chrysoprase would be a great stone for the center as would jade, but chrysoprase would be cheaper.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
k9muttlover|1298913733|2861202 said:
He may not have the same allergies to fine 999 silver, of course, maybe that's not a good choice for a ring either....

But... I have purchased items from the following etsy seller and I bet you could have her do a custom job with the green being green cement? Sounds weird, but her stuff is awesome. I realize this is a colored stone thread, but in case you're up for considerng alternatives...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62729156/little-hedgehog-necklace-in-silver-and

I think this is the best idea ever.... Her items are just great!
You could ask her about her metals, tell her about DH allergies...
Good luck, I think you have had some great suggestions!

CamoKitty

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions! :) Is crystoprase fairly durable? I love the color and i agree it would be perfect for the ring. If i tell him to be careful with it I'm sure he will be, lol. His tungsten wedding band is showing some scratches, but only in the black colored areas so i'm guessing it's just the surface enamel...? Either way, he doesn't plan on wearing it everyday due to military regulations.

I'll check with whomever i work with about their alloy content. It's good to know there are so many options. You guys are the best! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results