shape
carat
color
clarity

donating breast milk

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
I know some of the mamas here have donated breast milk. I have a huge freezer stash, and I'm ready to get rid of some of it and reclaim some freezer space. A LC I know here has gotten someone in touch with me locally who would like the milk.

Did you all have anyone sign any documents, etc. when you donated your milk? I hate to be concerned with liability, but it seems it is reality especially here in the US. Did you go through any formalities?

I just know how much need there is and do not want these 400+ ounces to go to waste. That's just from Sept and Oct, I haven't tallied how much I have from Nov through now -- but it's a considerable amount. I'm going to hang on to the newer milk for a while just in case I need it, but it's time for my older milk to find a needed home.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if you already found this since your question was about liability, but your question piqued my curiosity and I found this: http://www.breastmilkproject.org/hiw_donorguidelines.php

since most of it is "processed" it seems like tracing liability back to you might not be as worrisome a problem?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I've tried donating through Milk Share and the mom did want me to fill out an extensive questionnaire about health history and habits, as well as provide bloodwork about several different diseases.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
No liability issues, but of course the recipient might want you to have the results of your pregnancy bloodwork faxed to her. Check out http://www.eatsonfeets.org/#about for how to find recipients near you. I've given to some who wanted my bloodwork and some who just wanted milk and fast.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I was planning to donate (in the UK) although I didn't have any success with pumping in the end, so I wasn't able to give any, other than a small amount while I was in hospital

I had a blood test and a brief health questionnaire to fill out. The milk is collected and pasturised in a large batch here, so recipients get milk from more than one person.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I donated 200 oz to a local mom through eats on feets (see the link Swimmer provided). I didn't have to provide any bloodwork or documentation. It was her personal choice to take it after speaking with me and meeting me and seeing my child.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I gave my frozen milk ad continue to pump for a mom/baby I met at a local moms group. She just asked about my health, and I answered.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I donate every week to a family I found on Eats on Feets. She just asked me a few questions and that was it! Call me trusting, but I think as long as you take the time to find a family you're comfortable with then you should be fine. Afterall, you know that you don't have anything to hide.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you donate to a bank, I think they'll have you fill out all sorts of paperwork and get bloodwork. Donating privately will depend on the recipient

I've been trying to find a recipient for a while. I tried milkshare with no luck and even opened a Facebook account ( :o ) to post on eatsonfeets with no luck. I closed my Facebook account because I couldn't figure out how to use it but my sister has been posting for me without any takers. I have an entire deep freezer full of frozen milk that I just can't bear to waste but know in my heart I'll never use.

I hope you find someone!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
puppmom|1296434381|2837763 said:
If you donate to a bank, I think they'll have you fill out all sorts of paperwork and get bloodwork. Donating privately will depend on the recipient

I've been trying to find a recipient for a while. I tried milkshare with no luck and even opened a Facebook account ( :o ) to post on eatsonfeets with no luck. I closed my Facebook account because I couldn't figure out how to use it but my sister has been posting for me without any takers. I have an entire deep freezer full of frozen milk that I just can't bear to waste but know in my heart I'll never use.

I hope you find someone!

pupp - It's so funny that you say that about FB. I refused to open an account just to donate so I had DH find our donor family. He sure felt a little wierd about that! :twirl:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I tried to get DH to be my BM agent but he said no way. My sister is really into it though so she continues to seek a recipient. Hopefully we find one soon!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I just found a recipient recently. I am going to be a long term donor for her. I started off by donating around 100oz to her.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all of the replies. It makes me feel better to know what others have done. I just got an email from the person, so I hope it all works out and she can use my milk.

Pupp -- I hope you're able to find a recipient. A lactation consultant got me in touch with someone that she is working with that has supply issues. Maybe that route could work for you as well?

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Belated update -- I was able to donate 400+ ounces to a lovely mom with a 2-month old. I am so glad someone else got to benefit from the milk (and all that pumping!), and we were glad to reclaim freezer space. I may be making another donation in the near future!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful, turtledazzle!! :appl:

I'd love to find someone to donate to as well since I have a huge oversupply. All you see when you open the freezer is bags of frozen milk.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, Turtle! :appl: We found a single dad from the Boston area who was in our area on business. DH and I went downtown for a date (yes, a DATE!) and dropped off fresh milk for his little girl for the weekend and now we're trying to make arrangements for him to pick up the frozen milk tomorrow on his way back. Cross your fingers!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
puppmom|1298757749|2860090 said:
Yay, Turtle! :appl: We found a single dad from the Boston area who was in our area on business. DH and I went downtown for a date (yes, a DATE!) and dropped off fresh milk for his little girl for the weekend and now we're trying to make arrangements for him to pick up the frozen milk tomorrow on his way back. Cross your fingers!

Fingers were crossed. Did the donation work out? Oh, and d.a.t.e. -- what is this word you speak? :o

Pandora|1298845900|2860707 said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/27/breast-milk-ice-cream-taste

:bigsmile:

hehehe ... an idea for the next donation? :-o

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turtle, we handed off the milk yesterday! ...in a Sonic parking lot about two miles from home. :lol: On Friday night DH and I went into the city for dinner. The recipient was staying in town for a conference so I offered to drop off fresh milk for the weekend. He was so excited because his daughter has only had fresh milk a handful of times. I met the baby and she was SO cute! Yesterday, he stopped on his way back to Boston and picked up the 400 ounces of frozen milk.

It was really weird – I felt grateful to him for taking it because I couldn’t bear tossing it. Overall, it really was a great experience. As long as I’m pumping excess, I’ll definitely look to donate again.

...as for the date - it was fun! No friendly time when we got home though because my mom slept over to watch the baby. She doesn't drive at night. Oh well, it's a start!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
puppmom|1298914021|2861207 said:
Turtle, we handed off the milk yesterday! ...in a Sonic parking lot about two miles from home. :lol: On Friday night DH and I went into the city for dinner. The recipient was staying in town for a conference so I offered to drop off fresh milk for the weekend. He was so excited because his daughter has only had fresh milk a handful of times. I met the baby and she was SO cute! Yesterday, he stopped on his way back to Boston and picked up the 400 ounces of frozen milk.

It was really weird – I felt grateful to him for taking it because I couldn’t bear tossing it. Overall, it really was a great experience. As long as I’m pumping excess, I’ll definitely look to donate again.

...as for the date - it was fun! No friendly time when we got home though because my mom slept over to watch the baby. She doesn't drive at night. Oh well, it's a start!

Hooray for the donation and the date! We've only had a sitter once, and we were only gone for about 3 hours. <sigh> I wish we had family around who could babysit on occasion. But, really, we just need to establish a date night once a month and schedule a regular sitter. It is on my list of things to do :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results