shape
carat
color
clarity

Dining Tables!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just bought a home and are currently furnishing it. I have never owned a solid wood dining table, so have a few questions for you ladies:

1- I asked this one already (link below), but didn't want to threadjack Zoe's thread too much. Do all of you use table pads? Do you use them when you have company over as well? Do you have a table cloth over the pad? Do you feel like the fabric takes away from the table?
(https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dining-table-do-you-keep-the-leaf-in.157078/)

2- How many chairs do you have in your dining set? I'm wondering if I should get a table that extends to 8 or 10. Currently, my immediate family rounds up to 8, with no kids. My 19 year old brother is also single. That said, my entire family is rarely together at the same time as they all live in different provinces/countries. Did any of you get a smaller table and regret it? Or the other way around?

3- Did you purchase your table from a store or have a wood maker custom make it? I'm thinking of going the second route, but the costs are quite insanely high. Wondering if it's worth it or if I should go ahead with something from C&B? I love Pottery Barn's tables - but have read they do not keep well at all. If any of you have any experience with PB tables, please do share.

Thank you!!

Edited for typos.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm not any help at all, but am definitely interested in this thread because we're also shopping for a nice dining table. I've been looking in antique stores for months and we've finally decided to go custom with reclaimed wood, which I had no idea was so expensive. This is something I want to have for the next 20+ years, plus I consider it sort of the heart of the home, so I am trying to mentally justify the cost. Blah! I also love the Pottery Barn and C&B styles, but am wanting something more unique. It's such a tough decision, I've been waffling since we bought our house!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady|1298670007|2859541 said:
I'm not any help at all, but am definitely interested in this thread because we're also shopping for a nice dining table. I've been looking in antique stores for months and we've finally decided to go custom with reclaimed wood, which I had no idea was so expensive. This is something I want to have for the next 20+ years, plus I consider it sort of the heart of the home, so I am trying to mentally justify the cost. Blah! I also love the Pottery Barn and C&B styles, but am wanting something more unique. It's such a tough decision, I've been waffling since we bought our house!

And you, my dear, fit comfortably in my shoes. I'm in the EXACT same predicament. Plus, I'm looking for upholstered linen parsons chairs to go with the table (more $$$$ ;( ). If I have them custom made in Canadian wood by a wood-maker, the cost is exponentially higher. I love the Hudson parsons chairs by Restoration Hardware, but I hear they're having a lot of issues with order fulfillment lately. As in, people waiting for over 6 months instead of 2. I'm so confused, I know not what to do. Blahhh.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kama -- don't be silly! Thread-jack all you want. :bigsmile:

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. I mentioned this in the other thread, but no, I don't use table pads because I don't want to cover it up. I just make sure to put something under whatever I'm writing so I don't make marks on the table. We use our table primarily as office space, but if we're dining, we always use place mats.

2. Our table is square with the leaf in, rectangular if the leaf is stored (which I've mentioned we don't do). We have 6 chairs but we only have 4 around the table usually. The other two chairs are placed in opposite corners of our dining room. We could have gone with 8 chairs but we didn't want to clutter the table and we don't entertain much.

3. We purchased our table from a furniture store in NC last year. I honestly don't think I'd choose to go the custom route because of the cost. I'd play it safe and wait until I found the right one (which took us forever, by the way). If I did choose to go custom, it would be when I had exhausted all other options, and when I want something of heirloom quality that could potentially be passed down to my (hypothetical) children someday.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Kama, I answered your post in the other thread, but I will answer here as well

1. I use table pads. If you have a table that can be refinished if damaged then you can get away without one. If your table cannot be refinished if damaged then you will be buying another table. I only use my pads when I have a lot of people and many hot dishes will be placed on the table, plus just in case someone spills something. Yes, you can sop up the spill, but it wiil get under the plate, drinking glasses, utensils and it will sit on the table until you can clear the entire table and then you have water damage. This has happened to friends of mine

2. Fully extended (2 leaves)I can seat up to 12 people. I have 6 dining chairs and 6 folding chairs that are the same color/wood as my dining table (these are custom made also to match my dining chairs including the cushions).

3. Something to remember, a custom piece will last you forever; Most store bought furniture definitely not. My sister and I have all my parents' custom furniture in our getaway house (furniture is 50+ years old).

If cost is a factor, go either oak or maple (Oak is so versatile and you can have it stained to whatever color you want.Maple can also be stained) For a more durable wood, go with a hard maple(doesn't take staining well), but I consider walnut and cherry exceptionally beautiful. (I prefer cherry). As walnut ages it will take on a very slight golden brown hue. Cherry will gradually darken with age and sunlight and will look absolutely gorgeous (this wood is also very resistant to scrapes and dents).

If you do decide to go custom, ask about the Janka rating for the wood to be used. The higher the number the more durable the wood in terms of resistance to gouging or scrapes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test
Of course, the more dense the wood, the more difficult it will be to cut and the woodworker will go through a lot of drill bits predrilling the holes for the hardware.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

When dining, I always use a pad on my wood table--but otherwise keep it naked. :bigsmile:

There are some wonderful Canadian manufactures--out East (your way). Last two (wood) products (beds) I bought were Canadian made and my Dining Room set was from South Carolina.

cheers--Sharon

E B

Ideal_Rock
Re: Custom, have you shopped around at all? Asked for multiple quotes? We haven't yet bought a nice dining table, but we're currently having a custom bed and nightstands made from solid, reclaimed wood and the cost was about the same as a similar set from Pottery Barn. We don't have our pieces yet (Mid-March, hopefully!) but we were very impressed with what we saw in the company's showroom and like that we're getting exactly what we want.

We haven't bought a table from Pottery Barn, but our last bed frame was the PB Farmhouse Bed. It was nice and sturdy but the wood was very soft and scratched easily. The delivery was also kind of a nightmare, one I wrote about here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pottery-barn-rant.67247/

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, SO much for all the advice and suggestions!

We finally decided on a beautiful Canadian made solid maple dining table - the wood is Canadian and it is manufactured on-site as well. The price was much more reasonable than other custom tables (around that of PB). But the best part about the table is that I wouldn't need to use a table pad. The wood is not very soft, and while will definitely be some wear and tear, I can always take it back to them and have them re-finish it for me. I was incredibly elated when I saw this table. I really really didn't want to cover the table up with a pad/cloth, so this is the perfect solution for me

E B: I've heard similar things with other PB furniture. I fell in love with a beautiful harvest table at PB, but when I researched online for reviews, tons of people said it was much too soft and looked terrible a year out. Isn't custom furniture just amazing?

Canuk-gal: True, but still not enough! I wish we had more Canadian manufacturers. We have abundant lumber, must we export it all?!!

Pennquacker: The Kipling table from C&B was my runner-up! I love harvest style tables!

Soocool: Thank you for the information! Based on your post, I decided to go ahead with a bigger table that can sit 10 comfortably, and even 12 if needed. We will definitely grow into it. I also decided on a table that can be refinished down the road, so I think I'm going to let it all bare and admire it's beauty :). We also decided on a harder maple - I love the bits of red that show, even though mine is mostly walnut-y.

Zoe: Thanks, honey! I'm going to do the same - no table pad, but I always use placemats. We decided on 8 side chairs and 2 arm chairs. The 2 arm chairs will be used in a reading nook in the family room when not in use. We do entertain a fair bit, and it's already pretty tight during holidays. So I'm glad I have the option to open up the table and put in more chairs if/when needed.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One last question for you laides: I gave up and placed an order for our dining parsons chairs from Restoration Hardware. Any reviews or horror stories? I have another few hours before the order is finalized (it's custom, so no returns :S)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results