color
clarity

Bracelet too flashy?

caseym

Rough_Rock
All,

I'm thinking about purchasing this bracelet for my wife's 30th birthday:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5647

She's interested in aquamarine, since her birthday is in March. I think the bracelet is beautiful. However, I'm also considering a "diamonds by the yard" bracelet which I believe could be worn more casually.

Do you think I am looking at a bracelet that is only for special occasions? I wonder if my wife will really like it if she can only wear it to very nice dinners. I would like to know your opinion!

Thanks,
Casey

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without knowing your wife's general tastes, it's hard to tell if she'll like it. She may not like aqua, she may like bling, she may hate bling, or she might have ornate or simple taste. Can you tell us about your wife's tastes?

Personally, I know many women that would adore that bracelet, and if I were to get it, I would return it. :knockout: That's not to say that I think it's ugly, it's just not my taste. However, again, some women would be head over heels with that bracelet.

On a side note, an aqua bracelet will chip if she wears it often enough, so I think it should be a special occasion bracelet, as it's probably a lot of $$$.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi caseym.

Personally, I would say the bracelet you've chosen is versatile and can be worn formally and informally. The best advice I can think of is to look at what pieces your wife has already. That way you can get a sence of if she will think it's too over the top or not. It's a very subjective thing really. Good luck!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not my taste either (sorry). Reminds me of some of the cheap braclets you can buy (sorry Brian). A diamond by the yard braclet
would be much more wearable in my opinion (can be worn with jeans or dressy) . Or you could even do a dbty braclet with
aquamarines in it or maybe alternate aquas with diamonds (maybe 3 stones total).

Edit
I'm not really into Tiffs but here is an example (this is in SS but you could do it in white gold)
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=25841204&mcat=-1&cid=287458&fromGrid=1&search_params=s+5-p+10-c+287458-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+-k+

Edit again...here is the 5 stone version. You could alt either of these with diamond/aquas
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=25224868&mcat=-1&cid=287458&fromGrid=1&search_params=s+5-p+28-c+287458-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+-k+

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aquamarine is soft and has to be handled with care, so there is no way this bracelet would be versatile, in my opinion. I'd 1000 times rather have a DBY bracelet with diamonds. That can be worn with casual or dressy attire.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an aqua bracelet like this except in sterling silver which I purchased many many moons ago.

Mind you, I don't have a lot of aqua and don't tend to wear pastels, but I sometimes will drag it out to wear. Its quite a lovely bracelet after all these years I've yet to do it any damage.

Its not a piece to be worn all the time though I'm afraid, so if she never takes her precious pieces off, then sure she would probably see some damage eventually. As long as she's not wrestling bears in it and its more or less occasional wear (like maybe to work, to dinner/date night, out with the girls shopping type wear) she'd be fine. :mrgreen:

Yes, aqua is a bit soft, so you have to know what your wife really likes. If she is the type of person that loves pastels, then she would probably love this. If she likes bangles and bracelets, and wear them then sure she'll no doubt like it, its quite a feminine piece. Its not what I consider super blingy and can be worn in a lot of different situations.

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like it

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
It's a very pretty bracelet, but if your wife likes to wear her bracelets every day, you might be better off with the DBY bracelet. What a thoughtful husband you are!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Nice piece...but you are right that a DBTY bracelet is likely to get more wear.

Does your wife wear a lot of bracelets? If she does wear them...does she wear them to work or only to go out? If she wears a bracelet mostly when going out, the aqua bracelet would be a great choice. If she wears them often during her regular day...then you may wish to go with the DBTY bracelet, as it's a bit more flexible (the metal chain being more flexible I mean), it may be easier to wear regardless of the bling. DBTY also goes with everything. If she wears a lot of bold colors, it may wash out the aquas..if she wears more pastels, then they would likely be a lovely match.

I wear bracelets on occasion but they often end up off my wrist at work along with my watch because I sit at the computer a lot and they bother me when they are on my wrist rest clinking about.

Laura

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like it. Line bracelets are my absolute favorites, since they are comfortable on the wrist. The aquas are a nice blue color, and the diamonds will add sparkle. I don't think it is too dressy for something like an everyday office job.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like it too. Nice aquas, it's simple & would go with a lot of colors. Classic.

--- Laurie

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I also like it !
I have a similar style bracelet with small ice blue topaz pears
and I really like to wear it.
I would wear it MUCH more often if the latch was more user friendly !!!! :lol:

TBH, jewelry is so personal.
My DH has picked out some real Doozy's for me over the years !
But this style is classic and versatile.
If she loves Aqua ( I do !! ) I bet she will love this !
( get a gift receipt just in case though.... your lovely gift is costly !!!!!!! )

caseym

Rough_Rock
All,

Wow this is such a helpful forum. I posted this before I went to bed last night and got so many good replies.

tourmaline: My wife likes fairly flashy jewelry... she has a nice diamond necklace she likes to wear. But honestly she's been asking me for aquamarine jewelry and this will be the first thing I've bought. So I don't know her taste in wearing colored jewelry because she doesn't have any right now.

Also I didn't really think of the damage aspect so thanks for mentioning that.

This is such a tough decision! I feel like the DBY bracelets are a safe bet, but the aqua bracelet has the chance to be a WOW gift. But if my wife doesn't like it I hate to put her in the position of asking to return something so nice.

Thanks again for your opinions so far!

Casey

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If your wife likes aquas and wears flashy jewelry I think this bracelet could be a winner. But just in case you should ask BGD if it's returnable or exchangeable. You are very thoughtful and your wife's a lucky lady!

caseym

Rough_Rock
swingirl|1298881540|2861010 said:
If your wife likes aquas and wears flashy jewelry I think this bracelet could be a winner. But just in case you should ask BGD if it's returnable or exchangeable. You are very thoughtful and your wife's a lucky lady!

Thank you! Well I'm a lucky guy. I'm coming home from a year deployment in the military, so can't wait to get my wife something nice.

I will ask them what their return policy is on this.

Casey

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Casey, thanks so much for your service, and glad to hear you are coming home safely.

Laura

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
caseym|1298876361|2860997 said:
All,

Wow this is such a helpful forum. I posted this before I went to bed last night and got so many good replies.

tourmaline: My wife likes fairly flashy jewelry... she has a nice diamond necklace she likes to wear. But honestly she's been asking me for aquamarine jewelry and this will be the first thing I've bought. So I don't know her taste in wearing colored jewelry because she doesn't have any right now.

Also I didn't really think of the damage aspect so thanks for mentioning that.

This is such a tough decision! I feel like the DBY bracelets are a safe bet, but the aqua bracelet has the chance to be a WOW gift. But if my wife doesn't like it I hate to put her in the position of asking to return something so nice.

Thanks again for your opinions so far!

Casey

What about an aqua ring? Although she would still have to be careful with it, it's not as damage prone as a bracelet. Or better yet, aqua earrings or a necklace (not damage prone).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results