shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with my next steps on the colored gemstone e-ring

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I am new to PriceScope, and have learned so much from reading all the threads here in the Colored Stone forum. (Haven’t ventured much further than here, so much info to soak up.)

Here is where I am with my first colored stone project, I need your help to tell me what my next steps are, and where to find good vendors in my area. Thank you for your help and patience, I would not have had the confidence or knowledge to even start this project without the information I found here on PriceScope.

-Purchased pear shaped sapphire 1.06 carat as my center stone from stone cutter with great reputation here on PriceScope

-Purchased wedding rings (one will be set with center stone as the e-ring) from Marlene Harris Collection.

Currently, I am anxiously awaiting their delivery per post. The sapphire shipped yesterday and the rings today.

What would be the next steps I need to take?

Examine, see if I like it...?
Will I (with naked, untrained eyes) be able to spot a bowtie in my pear? (I don’t expect it at all from this vendor, but can’t be too careful?)

Appraise...?
The sapphire comes with a lab report, but I should get it appraised before it is set, right? Anyone have a trusted color stone appraiser here in MN? (Hopefully in the metro area?)

Set...?
I think I want a bezel set for the sapphire… does anyone have a good jeweler/ benchperson here in Minnesota who can set a nice pear bezel?

Appraise again...insure?
After it is set, do I get the entire set (wedding band, e-ring with center stone) appraised, or is that unnecessary? Is insurance something you have for your e-ring?

Wear...?
Do you wear your sapphire e-ring everyday? Is it prong or bezel or otherwise set? (Can you tell I am paranoid about scratches/ chips, damage?)

Thank you again for any help or advice you can offer. This project was a long, long time in the making. Everything came together when I found PriceScope. The depth of information here was invaluable. Before PS, I was spinning my wheels, and getting so sad and frustrated in the process. Once the ring is all put together, I will post the story and pictures!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Need help with my next steps on the colored gemstone e-r

Hopefully you have a good bench-person that you trust and does good work to set you sparkly beautiful new sapphire. I hope it doesn't have a bowtie! For myself I don't appraise and insure before I set certain stones. For example if I have purchased a 800 dollar and under stone I usually don't appraise or insure before setting. I am sure others will not agree but I love to get the finished piece back into my hot little hands. :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results