shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of pattern does this opal have?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the pattern has a name. The closest would be a ribbon pattern BUT you would typically see the ribbons parallel to each other and going right from one side to the other of the gem. So this looks like a stunted ribbon!

It's pretty and it has an interesting pattern but there is a bit too much body colour on show so it might be worth getting if you fancy having one but it's not a particularly valuable gem - more one to love and enjoy.

Hope that helps.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'd call it "lazer lights"........would be a fun cab.

MoZo

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Spectacular presentation, Sonomacounty. You could call it a Northern Lights opal. Or maybe a Lava Lamp opal? :wink2:

-- Laurie

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty cool...by the way, I read on another site (can't remember which), that some opals labeled as "Sudan" are actually Ethiopian Opal. Can you tell I'm a bit obsessed with that kind of opal?

Get it!

Laura

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
sonomacounty|1298412685|2857457 said:
It's called the Searchlight Pattern. It's quite unusual. Opals with that type of "columnar" play of color haven't often been found. It's probably from Ethiopia, not Sudan.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I call them Ethiopals

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Richard M.|1298424695|2857588 said:
sonomacounty|1298412685|2857457 said:
It's called the Searchlight Pattern. It's quite unusual. Opals with that type of "columnar" play of color haven't often been found. It's probably from Ethiopia, not Sudan.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

See, now I think you better snap it up!
I think it's really cool, so unusual, and you will prob be happy with it!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
VL...I like that! Ethiopials is perfect. Don't be surprised if the price goes up into the $100 a carat or more price range which is normal for these lovely stones. I promise I won't bid but I sure hope you get it and if so please post more photos!

Laura

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hey I hope you got it!
Would like to see more! :))

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
No, I didn't get it. I would have, but I fell asleep. Darn.

First, I liked it, then I didn't (basically because cause I always doubt myself on my e-bay stone picks), then you all convinced me it was o.k, then I missed it. It was kind of interesting, wasn't it? Thanks for the help and great info, all.

sonoma

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results