shape
carat
color
clarity

Will Dr. induce?

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My husband and I are adopting our first child, a baby boy, and he is due June 16. :bigsmile: Our birthmom mentioned yesterday that she planned on asking her Dr. if she would induce her once she reached full term (around 38 weeks I'm told) to make things easier for planning and travel since we live in different states. We told her that wasn't necessary and that we'd do everything we could to ensure we were there early enough to be present at the birth although we realize that babies come when they are good and ready :)) She insisted that she wanted to ask anyway. One the one hand it absolutely would make planning easier and I wouldn't risk 'wasting' my mat leave in another state just sitting and waiting before he is even born, but I hate to disrupt the natural order of things. Anyway, I was just curious if any of you had a Dr. agree to induce early? Not sure if these sort of things can just be requested so I'm curious about others experiences with planned inductions.

Thanks! :))

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My doctor would not induce me until I hit 40 weeks. He induced me 40 weeks and 6 days. If and when I have another he said he would induce at 39 weeks since I had a difficult labor and the body "remembers" what to do. It is rare for first time moms to get inductions before their EDD.

ETA: congrats on your adoption!!!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No personal experience but wanted to say "Yay!" :appl:

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tacori E-ring|1298321181|2856757 said:
My doctor would not induce me until I hit 40 weeks. He induced me 40 weeks and 6 days. If and when I have another he said he would induce at 39 weeks since I had a difficult labor and the body "remembers" what to do. It is rare for first time moms to get inductions before their EDD.

ETA: congrats on your adoption!!!

Thanks Tacori! This isn't her first pregnancy...she's had 6 prior live births. Does that make a difference?

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
puppmom|1298321320|2856759 said:
No personal experience but wanted to say "Yay!" :appl:

Thanks Puppmom!! :praise:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
According to my doctor yes. With a first time mom, they don't know how the woman's body will react/preform. Though, the earliest my doc feels comfortable with is 39 weeks. This is her 7th? Wow. Cannot even imagine.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If it was my baby I'd want it to continue it's natural growth in utero. There is development and maturing taking place during those last weeks.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My midwife wouldn't induce me early even though I had a preg complication which often results in early induction. She had me wait a week before the pitocin. Since I ended up having a c/s, with my second I WAS able to pick the surgery date and asked to have him a week early (which was okay b/c again I had the same preg complication).

Congrats on your adoption!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1298324195|2856794 said:
If it was my baby I'd want it to continue it's natural growth in utero. There is development and maturing taking place during those last weeks.

Actually, the last few weeks are just weight gain. They can test to see if the baby's lungs are mature before they do it. I personally wouldn't want to induce just to to make things easier for everyone, but I can also see why she would want to. If her doctor gives her the go-ahead, then it can be her choice - it is her body, after all. As long as the baby is ready to come out!

And YAY how exciting! Congrats! I am so happy for you. :appl:

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
MonkeyPie|1298324701|2856800 said:

Actually, the last few weeks are just weight gain. They can test to see if the baby's lungs are mature before they do it. I personally wouldn't want to induce just to to make things easier for everyone, but I can also see why she would want to. If her doctor gives her the go-ahead, then it can be her choice - it is her body, after all. As long as the baby is ready to come out!And YAY how exciting! Congrats! I am so happy for you. :appl:

This is exactly how I feel...I've told her that it isn't necessary and we will be just fine waiting until he is ready but I can't exactly stop her from arranging it if her doc gives her the go ahead.

Thanks Monkeypie...we are so excited!

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade

If it was my pregnancy, I'd do the same. But it isn't and I have expressed to her how much the induction isn't necessary. I have no choice but to go along with what she and her doctor decide to do, so I'm just trying to be prepared either way. :))

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Tacori and MC! I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!! That's so exciting!!!

I was induced 2 days early. The most my doc would do it is 39 weeks, bc of what MonkeyPie said. Lung development is the last major thing, the rest is just packing on weight, ASSUMING you have an accurate date of conception. I had no complications whatsoever, and would be induced early again if the conditions were right. It's not for everyone though.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's known (Swimmer help me out here if you're reading) that 40+ week babies sleep better and latch better than 40- week babies and that was sure true with Aidan. I was induced at 38 weeks because of suspected IUGR (Intrauterine growth restriction), but Aidan turned out to be perfectly healthy, though a bit on the small side (5 lbs 10 oz). Looking back on it I wish I'd pushed back and tried to get them to agree to not induce but monitor me more closely for the final weeks. I was a cold induction, I had absolutely no signs of going into labor any time soon. The induction failed, Aidan didn't tolerate the meds well at all and I had to have an emergency c-section. He has slept like poo since birth and didn't figure out how to latch until he was 5 weeks old. Also, had they let me carry to 41-42 weeks there's a good chance he would have ended up being a perfectly acceptable size, like 6.5 lbs.

Inducing prior to 40 weeks can put the baby and mother at risk. This is going to be a controversial statement I'm sure, but I would have a serious issue with the birth mother of my baby wanting to induce early. Sure things will probably be OK, but what if they're not? I don't know what kind of legal rights you have to be involved in decision making, but if you don't agree then you should speak up. You are the baby's advocate.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, what HH wrote crossed my mind as well, regarding why the birth mother wants to induce early. Have you asked her why?

Is it possible she is having a difficult pregnancy (maybe not physically, but emotionally?) or maybe she figures the sooner the baby is out of her, the less attached she will be? Kind of like, let's get this over with.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1298336161|2856923 said:
. This is going to be a controversial statement I'm sure, but I would have a serious issue with the birth mother of my baby wanting to induce early. Sure things will probably be OK, but what if they're not? I don't know what kind of legal rights you have to be involved in decision making, but if you don't agree then you should speak up. You are the baby's advocate.

This.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's known (Swimmer help me out here if you're reading) that 40+ week babies sleep better and latch better than 40- week babies and that was sure true with Aidan. I was induced at 38 weeks because of suspected IUGR (Intrauterine growth restriction), but Aidan turned out to be perfectly healthy, though a bit on the small side (5 lbs 10 oz). Looking back on it I wish I'd pushed back and tried to get them to agree to not induce but monitor me more closely for the final weeks. I was a cold induction, I had absolutely no signs of going into labor any time soon. The induction failed, Aidan didn't tolerate the meds well at all and I had to have an emergency c-section. He has slept like poo since birth and didn't figure out how to latch until he was 5 weeks old. Also, had they let me carry to 41-42 weeks there's a good chance he would have ended up being a perfectly acceptable size, like 6.5 lbs.

Inducing prior to 40 weeks can put the baby and mother at risk. This is going to be a controversial statement I'm sure, but I would have a serious issue with the birth mother of my baby wanting to induce early. Sure things will probably be OK, but what if they're not? I don't know what kind of legal rights you have to be involved in decision making, but if you don't agree then you should speak up. You are the baby's advocate.

We have no rights whatsoever. This baby is hers until she signs consent 72 hrs after birth and then she can still revoke consent up to 10 days after that.

We normally speak every weekend and we will speak again before her next appt, so I will reiterate all that I've said before regarding asking for an induction and assure her that she isn't doing us a favor. Ours is a delicate realtionship and there are lots of mixed feelings and emotions had by all parties. While I have a pretty good relationship with her and can make suggestions, I can't demand she make certain decisions. Certain choices during pregnancy, like using drugs, tabacco, or refusing pre-natal care would all cause me to have serious issue with accepting her as our birthmom, but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater if she asks and her doctor agrees to induce her a week or so early.

Thanks for sharing your experiences though. :)) It will help me talk to her about possible issues the baby may encounter if she does seek an induction.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Lanie|1298337329|2856933 said:
Yeah, what HH wrote crossed my mind as well, regarding why the birth mother wants to induce early. Have you asked her why?

Is it possible she is having a difficult pregnancy (maybe not physically, but emotionally?) or maybe she figures the sooner the baby is out of her, the less attached she will be? Kind of like, let's get this over with.

Hi lanie...I think that she thinks she is doing us a favor. I've never shared any thoughts/complaints regarding the extra layer of difficulty concerning planning since we won't know when he'll be born. In fact, it's kind of exciting to think about keeping a bag packed and waiting to get the call that she is in labor. I plan to talk about this with her again over the weekend and reiterate how we feel.

I'm sure it is difficult for her. I've never had a baby but I know that I could never place for adoption so I'm sure it is emotionally difficult. I'm sure its the most difficult decision she's had to make. She has made the statement that she is ready to move on with her life so that may be a factor as well in her wanting an induction.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
The earliest my doctor will induce is 39 weeks for subsequent births, unless there are complications that require it. I would prefer to keep the baby in utero as long as possible too, even when the last few weeks are for weight gain only.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
It's known (Swimmer help me out here if you're reading) that 40+ week babies sleep better and latch better than 40- week babies....

Man...if that were totally true, Micah would sleep like a PRO. I was a week overdue and about to pop.

I think that stuff like this is particular to every woman and every baby, and it is impossible to make that sort of judgement before hand. This woman has 6 babies under her belt...I think going a week or two early with doctor consent and assistance could be just fine, especially considering that each baby you have is usually easier than the last. So she may have this baby two weeks early even without doctor intervention!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don't think the whole subsequent births come earlier concept is true. But I could be the exception because Jaron (2nd child) was overdue and induced, and (1st child) was four days early. I do think that your body remembers what to do once labor starts. Everything happened much faster with Jaron, and he just about came out when I was laughing between contractions. I couldn't find anything that confirms or supports the idea of subsequent birth coming earlier with respect to due date (not that due dates are accurate anyways), so I don't know if my thinking is correct. That's my disclaimer. LOL.

Oh and my overdue child is worse than my early child in the sleep department at the same age.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki|1298414236|2857475 said:
I don't think the whole subsequent births come earlier concept is true. But I could be the exception because Jaron (2nd child) was overdue and induced, and (1st child) was four days early. I do think that your body remembers what to do once labor starts. Everything happened much faster with Jaron, and he just about came out when I was laughing between contractions. I couldn't find anything that confirms or supports the idea of subsequent birth coming earlier with respect to due date (not that due dates are accurate anyways), so I don't know if my thinking is correct. That's my disclaimer. LOL.

Oh and my overdue child is worse than my early child in the sleep department at the same age.

You aren't the only one QT. I just had a friend I went to HS with give birth 11 days after her due date with the second and 3 days after her due date with her first.

Imperfect, congrats on your adoption; I am sooooo happy for you! :appl: I guess I would want her to bake as long as possible but then I also understand on not wanting to upset her. So I guess I don't have any advice but do want to wish you the best and I am excited for you!!! Can't wait to see pictures of your bundle of joy!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
my dr. won't induce 1st pregnancies until after 40 weeks. He okay'd me being induced at 39 weeks with baby #3 but the hospital was booked so I ended up being induced only 2 day prior to my due date. That said, my dr. is very conservative, likes for mother nature to take her course. He office partner will pretty much induce after 38 weeks and likes to schedule c-sections as well. So, it really depends on her dr. and what their ethical and medical beliefs are.

If it were my 7th, I'd totally try to get my dr. to induce at 38 weeks though. I was sooo ready by that point!! I actually did try to get my dr. to induce at 38 weeks, didn't work but I tried...

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the adoption!! I was induced with both my kids. First one was at 39w 5d if I remember correctly and second at 39w 2d. I agree with mrss, depends on the doctor as well as the hospital. The hospital I had my kids won't do "elective" inductions prior to 39 weeks. I agree if it were my 7th pregnancy I'd be ready to get that baby out of there, too! :)

cara

Ideal_Rock
I thought I had posted here, did it get eaten?

Anyway there is data that shows increasing complications with elective inductions prior to 39 weeks. Used to be that many doctors would induce absent medical cause after 37 weeks thinking that the baby is fully baked and the last few weeks don't matter, but then someone did a nice study showing that those last few weeks *do* matter. OK inducing at 37 weeks is rarely fatal, but still serious things like breathing, sleeping, and eating can benefit from those last weeks in the womb. Plus the "only weight gain" is a big one! Two more weeks of weight can could be a pound, well over half their body weight!

Anyway, as much as I understand the motivation (and its a big, as it being her 7th child you really could miss the birth if you are too far away) I personally would state tell the birth mother that I wouldn't want the birth induced early, or at least before 39 weeks.

But super congrats on the adoption plans! What good news.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki|1298414236|2857475 said:

All three of my sister's kids were 2 weeks overdue - hence the last one being an 11lber!

I believe it is true that subsequent babies tend to be heavier and the birth quicker than previous ones.

Ditto on you possibly missing the birth if she goes naturally - my sister had her 3rd in under 3 hours.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results