shape
carat
color
clarity

I went ring window shopping! :)

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
I went e-ring "window shopping" on Wednesday and I'm still on a high. I flew down to NC to visit my mom and told her that ring shopping needed to be our first stop :D I wanted to get a feel for shape, setting, size, and to check out my color sensitivity. Going in I thought I would like either a cushion or round, simple solitaire or halo, 1.25 carat, and I color.

She took me to Diamonds Direct and I had a grand old time trying on different styles and sizes. I first wanted to get a feel for shape and decided (after trying on cushions, asschers, pears, and rounds) that round was the best fit for me. Shape- done!

Then I wanted to get a feel for settings. I've always loved halo's but on my finger they were entirely too blingy (I'm a super simple jewelry girl- I wear the same necklace, earrings, bracelet every day ;)) ). Then we tried diamond settings and even the simplest and thinest of diamond bands overtook my little finger (4.5- yay). After trying on a tiffany-style solitaire I fell in love!!! :love: Setting- check!!

Then we looked at color. My mom is of the mindset that anything under G is a no-no, but I know that the I's I've seen on PS are just as beautiful so I wanted to see where I stood on color sensitivity. First let me say, Diamonds Direct (while being very helpful/nice and having a great stock of setting and diamonds) really push EGL and say that GIA is just more expensive and not worth the money. However, she was showing me EGL I's (whose color I totally saw) so I don't think it was a great example of what an I can look like. Especially since the H's they showed me were so much whiter (EGL as well). Either way, color is still up in the air for me.

Lastly ( :bigsmile: ) we looked at carat size. I tried out (all below) a 1.20, 1.51, and a little over 2.0. I felt the 1.20 was nice, but the 1.5 was dreamy!! :love: The 2 was just a little much for my taste :shock: but my mom was in love.

So all in all it was a great trip- I just could not wait to find the time to get on here and share the pics with you all. Let me know what you think ladies!

1andquarterct.jpg

1andhalfct.jpg

2ct.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey, awesome! I love the build-up of deciding exactly what I want almost as much as I love getting it. The 1.5 looks stunning on your hand!

TwinkleStar

Shiny_Rock
YAY, Daisy!! I love how you think you know exactly what you want...until you try it on or try something else on and realize there is a whole other world that just opened up to you!

P.S. That 1.5 looks amazing on you and practically looks like the 2! My mom is totally the same way, but even with her love of diamonds, I don't know if she'd realistically be able to tell a size difference or color difference unless they were side by side...and even then! So, I totally understand. Nothing's too good (or too big!) for her baby girl. :twirl:

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
Well I'd always had a soft spot for RB Solitaire's but wanted to give myself the option to fall in love with something else.

Haha!! Mom's are all the same. Go big or go home! She was in super "bossy-mom" mode. I thought it would be a really "special" experience for us but she was totally running the show. I wanted to look at pear's but she vetoed it big time. Then, when I mentioned wanting to look at I colored stones, she said absolutely nothing below a G. It didn't help that the I's in the shop were so yellow. I'm looking forward to a trip with the bf to look at some GIA and AGS I's to see if I really am color sensitive.

Yes!! The 1.5 looked like the 2 to me as well. Of course, mom didn't want to hear it- the closer to the 2 the better. She's just too much! I told her the bf and I would be looking when I got home and her next question was "when? maybe I'll fly up!" SIGH!!! :cheeky:

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like a really fun day! I love trying on rings! I agree, the 1.50 looks like 2cts on you! Your pictures were fabulous, nice and clear! Thanks for sharing your photos. It was like I got to go along with you! Too bad your not in So. Cal. I would for sure go ring shopping with you. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results