shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Choose a Cushion for My Halo

kinjal

Rough_Rock
hi everyone. looking for a cushion diamond to be set in a harry winston inspired halo

budget: under $7000 for stone (setting will cost additional ~ $3000)

so ive been talking with some of the vendors and researching threads, and it seems like the consensus is that modified cushions are NOT the way to go. Cushion Brilliant or AVC is the only cut to consider. My dilemma is that with a cushion modified, i can get a 1.5ct H/I VS2/SI1 for my budget. For cushion brilliant or AVC, i can get 1-1.1 ct for a superb quality stone.

so here are my options thus far for cushion brilliants or AVC (no modified cushions listed)

1) AVC .98 ct
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7269/

2) Cushion Brilliant 1.12 ct 8 main F/VS1 6.32x6.1x3.89, depth 64%
- no link, from ERD

3) 8 main large spread, less depth with video; Width: 6.44mm, Length: 7.37mm, Depth: 3.25mm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5696/

- Is 6.3x6.1mm, 1.12ct cushion too small for a halo? havent seen any HW-type rings with these specs.

- Are these differences in dimensions a major factor when all is said and done?

- Does anyone have reccs in favor of modified cushion as so i can get a larger stone? links? stone reccs?

Please help. Very confused. Any advice or other diamonds you can suggest would be appreciated.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
1 carat is definitely not too small for this setting. Also, depending on what look you like, a cushion modified brilliant may be appropriate. There are some beautiful cushion modified brilliants and some ugly cushion brilliants (Jon at GOG has a video that shows both types). The cushion modified brilliants will tend towards the more modern look so if you are looking for a vintage/antique faceting pattern then that might not be the best one to consider. The AVC looks good, but I do not like the spready cushion (I think you linked it twice also?) Do you have pics of the ERD stone?

kinjal

Rough_Rock
slg47|1297894081|2853389 said:
you have pics of the ERD stone?

im in the process of getting one, will post when i do. thanks for your feedback. if there are any cushion modifieds that you recommend, im all ears!

kinjal

Rough_Rock
slg47|1297894081|2853389 said:
depending on what look you like, a cushion modified brilliant may be appropriate. There are some beautiful cushion modified brilliants and some ugly cushion brilliants (Jon at GOG has a video that shows both types). The cushion modified brilliants will tend towards the more modern look so if you are looking for a vintage/antique faceting pattern then that might not be the best one to consider.

im open to either. basically, im just looking for the best stone in my price range that would look good in a HW-type ring. I thought size was most important, but have learned otherwise. Any stones that you guys recommend id be open to, or if you think one of the stones i have listed is "the one" id appreciate the feedback!

E B

Ideal_Rock
kinjal|1297899412|2853450 said:

You'll definitely see a difference in color between the center stone and the melee, so I'd get the okay from your girlfriend before choosing a K.

The .98 ct. G, VS1 AVC looks beautiful!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
kinjal|1297893700|2853380 said:
hi everyone. looking for a cushion diamond to be set in a harry winston inspired halo

budget: under $7000 for stone (setting will cost additional ~ $3000)

so ive been talking with some of the vendors and researching threads, and it seems like the consensus is that modified cushions are NOT the way to go. Cushion Brilliant or AVC is the only cut to consider. My dilemma is that with a cushion modified, i can get a 1.5ct H/I VS2/SI1 for my budget. For cushion brilliant or AVC, i can get 1-1.1 ct for a superb quality stone.

so here are my options thus far for cushion brilliants or AVC (no modified cushions listed)

1) AVC .98 ct
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7269/

2) Cushion Brilliant 1.12 ct 8 main F/VS1 6.32x6.1x3.89, depth 64%
- no link, from ERD

3) 8 main large spread, less depth with video; Width: 6.44mm, Length: 7.37mm, Depth: 3.25mm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5696/

- Is 6.3x6.1mm, 1.12ct cushion too small for a halo? havent seen any HW-type rings with these specs.

- Are these differences in dimensions a major factor when all is said and done?

- Does anyone have reccs in favor of modified cushion as so i can get a larger stone? links? stone reccs?

Please help. Very confused. Any advice or other diamonds you can suggest would be appreciated.

I actually just visited GoG over the weekend and saw that .98 ct stone in person. It was really pretty but I am probably biased because I really love the broad flashes of light that AVCs give off. I would call GoG and ask what they have available that might not listed in their online inventory. If you are planning on getting your mounting from Leon Mege I would suggest you contacting Perry who sources diamonds for him and see what he has available in your budget. He showed me a 1.27G VS2 cushion for $7000 that was quite pretty and if I hadnt fallen in love with the AVC id probably have purchased it myself.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I also saw a gorgeous 1.54K AVC at GoG. It is slightly more rectangular and it does show warmth but more of a creamy color. If you like warmer colors than you will love this stone. The big bold flashes of light that reflect off the stone is simply awesome !!!!

kinjal

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: What Do You Think of This Diamond

So I eliminated all of the other diamonds because I was not happy with them for different reasons.

I am seriously considering this diamond now. Please give feedback and critiques. I need all the help/advice i can get

What do you think of the measurements and specs? also note how it says the crown angle is > 40 degrees. How will that affect the stone?

Price: $5200

1.33.jpg

gia.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Most chunky cushions will have "crown angle > 40 degrees". No concern there.

The girdle appears to be very thin - should have an appraiser check out where it is very thin and if it is a concern.

kinjal

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1298089750|2855239 said:

The girdle appears to be very thin - should have an appraiser check out where it is very thin and if it is a concern.

How will the thin girdle affect the stone? If I bring this up with Mark from ERD, will that be sufficient?
What do you think of the stone otherwise Charmypoo? Looking for a stone that will give me a ring similar in looks to your amazing HW inspired halo

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
I love chunky cut!
The trick is finding the right setting to bring out the vintage beauty.
Good luck on your search

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kinjal|1298153254|2855598 said:
CharmyPoo|1298089750|2855239 said:

How will the thin girdle affect the stone? If I bring this up with Mark from ERD, will that be sufficient?
What do you think of the stone otherwise Charmypoo? Looking for a stone that will give me a ring similar in looks to your amazing HW inspired halo

charmy's HW inspired halo ring has a more modern 8-main cushion

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results