shape
carat
color
clarity

PP Soufflé Pearls

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
What's the story on these? I'd like to know more background...!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if they are "the most elusive and rare pearls on earth" as described, why don't they cost more?

MoZo

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I thought the key to their rarity was in the fact that there are only these two companies producing them. In China. So they could be enormous, both of them. hollow, presumably balloon nucleated? and so thin shells of nacre, like quail eggs that have been blown out for easter decoration. I imagine they will be very fragile.
Where is ilander? she should be all over these.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sarah at Kojima Pearl also carries a souffle pearl strand, and it isn't cheap either.
http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/deep-pondslime-keshi-strand

I think for the right person, these pearls could become a signature style. They rather remind me of Wilma's very special necklace.

I'm sure you could rock them, bean!! :naughty: :bigsmile:

Wilma_Flintstone.jpg

Souffle Pearls.jpg

SouffleKojimaDSC_27_large.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Oh that wilma F sure has style!
They must be really huge if it takes only three of them to cover her neck.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1296792674|2842538 said:
Oh that wilma F sure has style!
They must be really huge if it takes only three of them to cover her neck.
Wilma has a very tiny neck. :rodent:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fly, the pictures of the Kojima offerings are stunningly beautiful. but i'm afraid i'm too hard on things and with tile flooring throughout the house, well, i drop things and they'd shatter if they're really hollow. they are gorgeous, though.

MoZo

Hmmm... I wonder exactly how fragile they are? I think it's good they are hallow- otherwise they would be SO heavy!! Hmmm.. Wish we had a PP representative here :)

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Don't have one, but from what I've heard the nacre is thick too. But with no bead inside and not solid inside out, I'd think you don't want to yank these around too much like your typical FW. At least you get larger pearls for less weight. :tongue:

Kojima's strand looks satiny, not as metallic. PP's silvery blue and the pink/lavender metallic strand (most expensive) look more metallic. The ones Gemgeek (from other forum) has were very metallic. She bought several loose pearls from Seahunt pearls at Tucson gem show last year and each loose pearl was at least $200 when I inquired. This makes PP's strand sounds like a bargain.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Not a fan of strong pondslime pearls. I think the softer, subtle pondslime pearls are sweet and pretty. There are certain ones I don't care for, like Kojima's center left pearl (looking at the strand, to the left of the silvery blue). It reminds me of burn victims' skin.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw these in my inbox the other day; they are gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I found this article with some great pics, on souffle pearls: http://www99.jckonline.com/article/452437-Souffle_Pearls_Have_Dirty_Secret.php

It's an overview of last year's 2010 Tucson show, when the souffle pearls were introduced. A couple of excerpts:

Soufflé pearls were a big draw at the AGTA show in Tucson this year. Moments after the show opened, the gem press lined up to have a look at the newest entry in the high-end Chinese freshwater cultured pearl market. Displaying beautiful colors and ranging in size from 13 to 20 millimeters, the pearls garnered the immediate attention of buyers.

Talk among pearl industry insiders exploded in the days leading up to the show because these attractive pearls hide a dirty secret-muck! Pond muck has been dried into spherical shapes and used for nucleation. After a cultured pearl is harvested, a dried muck bead is inserted in the existing pearl sac, creating a new kind of freshwater pearl.

And here's a disgusting bit of info:

These pearls do have a downside for those who must drill them. Because water seeps into the pearl sac, the resulting fluid trapped inside has an especially noxious smell. :shock: Those who have experience drilling baroque pearls will be familiar with this, but with soufflé pearls, it's worse. Fortunately, once they are drilled and washed out, there is no lingering scent to interfere with wearability.

Sarah at Kojima Pearls has had some a couple of strands in the past, so keep an eye on her site, she might have more one day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results