shape
carat
color
clarity

Very disappointed with PP Freshadama purchase.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I always post when I'm happy - this is the first time I've posted a negative review. I ordered a pair of 8.5-9mm Freshadama studs and a customised 7.5-8mm Freshadama bracelet (6.5" with a different clasp).

I have a host of issues with what was sent to me: the earrings are poorly matched (one rosier than the other, clearly disparate IRL in all lights), and one has a 2mm surface blemish front and centre when worn (again, clear in all lights) and a 5-6mm long blemish toward one side (also visible when worn).

The pearls in the bracelet are poorly matched, several have visible blemishes and pitting, the clasp is poorly affixed (jump ring misshapen and not soldered, french wire so tight there is no wiggle in the clasp whatsoever). I asked for a 6.5" strand and the pearls (as knotted) barely stretch 6-1/8".

Possibly my biggest issue though is how the studs were sent - they were stored in a small black pouch (no separate box) inside the bracelet box just like in the pic. I don't find this a remotely acceptable way to package pearl earrings for shipping, given how easily they scratch! (and they are indeed scratched in that area near the backing).

After hearing nothing but good reviews, suffice to say I'm very disappointed. I'm going to contact them first thing tomorrow morning, and I really hope to update that all has been rectified in a few days. I do believe the best measure of a vendor is how they deal with problems, I hope PP lives up to its reputation (and overhauls their stud shipment policy).

PPFreshadamaStuds2.jpg

PPFreshadamaStuds1.jpg

yssie... what a bummer!!!

I hope they make it right. I think they will but please update us on that too.

I ordered a matching pendant necklace set (freshadamas) and while they were exactly what I wanted, they were also sent in a black pouch. Not ok in my book.

I wonder... if they are low on stock right now? yikes...

Do you have pictures of the bracelet?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks bean - I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one surprised. I will definitely update tomorrow and as it continues.

I do have pictures - it's hard to take pictures of the surface blemishes I see so clearly in person though, everything keeps reflecting!

In pics the bracelet looks longer than I thought - more like 6.25".

I wasn't able to get a clear pic of the front-on blemish, but I managed to get some of the others -

PPbraceletlength.jpg

PPstudbackscratch.jpg

PPstud5mm.jpg

PPbraceletwonkyjumpring.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
only 4 at a time apparently

PPbraceletfrenchwiretight.jpg

PPpresentation1.jpg

PP1-Both.jpg

Kaori Oku

Rough_Rock
I see the round blemish on the back Of the earring But but is the only thing I see on any of the pearls, but the black line it isn't on the pearl so what is that one? It's on the picture but looks like a thread or something, it's not on the pearl. In the pics they are really almost look perfect though. The pearls on the bracelet are look perfect too.

What about the length on that one? You must also measure the clasp for the length not only the pearl so it is gonna be short if you only measure the pearl. The picture you are not include the clasp so it is short than the length. It is always the clasp and the pearl or you not gonna know what fits. If you add the clasp to make a real measure of the length, it is exactly what you order for length, right?

betty6333

Shiny_Rock
That is very frustrating Yssie!
I hope they are able to fix this and very soon. I am surprised that they would set blemished pearls like that! of course they should have made sure they would be safe in transit too, a box is not expensive and it much safer.
Please let us know how they do in response to this, as I hope it is not the usual quality of merchandise they sell!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaori Oku said:
I see the round blemish on the back Of the earring but the black line it isn't on the pearl so what is that one? It's on the picture but looks like a thread or something, it's not on the pearl. In the pics they are really almost look perfect though.

What about the length on that one? You must also measure the clasp for the length not only the pearl so it is gonna be short if you only measure the pearl. The picture you are not include the clasp so it is short than the length. It is always the clasp and the pearl or you not gonna know what fits. If you add the clasp to make a real measure of the length, it is exactly what you order for length, right?

1. The black line shows where to look, I drew it in in Paint. Look above the black line, see the faint pale line? that's 5-6mm long and not discreet in person :(sad

2. I specifically asked for a 6.5" length of pearls when I requested the customization. If I add the clasp length it measures closer to 7", which is not what I ordered either.

I was under the impression that if you order the stock size of 7.5" that means 7.5" of pearls excluding clasp, perhaps I was mistaken but it's not relevant as I was explicit :sick:

Kaori Oku

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean now. It looks likenthat the black line is the PhotoShop not a flaw. But you really need to talk to them because each clasp is am different length so if you are gonna order an exact length and every clasp is gonna be different, of course it's gonna be the total length or your not gonna know the total bracelet length. Otherwise, they have to tell you each clasp exact length or it is not gonna fit for you. With pearls, your length is always gonna be the total length unless you discuss the clasp.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's good to know Kaori. Obviously I should've been more explicit about wanting a 6.5" length of pearls "not including clasp".

I was irritated as it was 'one more thing', but the length is actually the least of my worries - I have small wrists and it fits fine as is. The pearl quality, matching, and packaging are my real problems.

Kaori Oku

Rough_Rock
I think maybe the packaging they should examine bcuz I think they can do better. Maybe they should do something with the bag and of the box. I really feeling like the freshwater one it is almost perfect like we can't see at another place for it. I found pp and this forum from QVC so I see the normal ones and pp is not like anything that is the normal one. I went to their office which is near me this year.

I think if/when I make any future purchases through PP I will ask for a box for each item specifically. I just don't understand why they would be in the pouch? I mean, $15 base metal earrings I can see, but shiny, pretty pearls?? :)

I think usually the length includes the clasp- unless you are buying the strand and then adding the clasp. What I mean is that if they have an 18" strand for sale and it comes with an array of clasps, I would expect it to be 18" of pearls plus the clasp. But if you buy it right off the website- not picking the strand specifically I think the "finished" size then would be 18" ???

At least, that's what I've worked out in my head.

What I would do... I would email all of the pictures to customer service and then call them.. so you can talk and they can view.

Anyway--- is this set for a special occasion? wedding? :mrgreen:

ETA- should the clasp have an extra jump ring? I've never seen them fastened like that- The french wire should be TIGHT, but if it's on a jump ring, it would let the clasp part wiggle.... hmmmm... something to ask about!

The other jump ring is absolutely NOT acceptable. I also had a necklace come with jump rings like that (TPO though) and it really ticked me off.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yssie, that's really disappointing. I'd definitely give them a call - it sounds like someone slipped when putting yours together and sending it out - usually they seem to be pretty good at matching and packaging.

I definitely see the scratch on one of the pearls :(

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, what a bummer. I've received the black velvet pouch in the past which was inside my necklace box. It was no big deal to me because it wasn't a gift. The velvet pouch won't scratch the pearls when one post is inserted through the other earring's nut, which won't make the gold move around. That is how PP packaged earrings in the pouch. I am not sure what is their reasoning for using the pouch instead of earring gift box.

Personally if I did not buy it as a gift, I would rather have the pouch because I have too many of those necklace and earring boxes already. It's a shame to throw them away, but a nuisance to store because I don't have enough storage in my linen closet. When I visited PP last Sep, I got some necklaces and just asked for them to be bubble wrapped to put in my carry-on bag. It saved them money and I don't need more boxes and have no more space.

There was a discussion about necklace length (which would apply to bracelet) in the other place. When a necklace is sold as 18" it means including clasp. Due to variation of pearl sizes, the length won't be exact so you can expect it to be slightly shorter or longer than 18". I don't remember the deviance that Jeremy stated, but I think it can be up to 1/2", thus 17.5 to 18.5" roughly.

I hope Customer Service will answer your question about earring box and resolve the issues to your satisfaction.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
I've only gotten the black pouch once. Otherwise, they've always come in a box. I know last year they were trying to find ways to start conserving boxes - like if a frequent customer ordered multiple necklaces at once, placing multiple necklaces in one box. They told me that when customers return merchandise, they never reuse the boxes. I know some customers will order 5 necklaces to compare and pick one to keep, so I can see how that would get expensive. Perhaps they should stock more of the little inserts with the tabs for the earrings that go in the boxes and stick those in the pouches or get the boxes that are meant for a set.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE! I just spoke with Chenai, who was very sweet and very happy to have me send them back and address the issues, which I'll be doing tomorrow.

To clarify one thing - the bracelet "length" does include one end of the clasp.

They were going to be for a gift, but the timing won't work out with the return so - eh, if all works out well I'll keep them. :halo:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Right, the length includes one side of the clasp. The other side (the plunger part) is not included because it's pushed inside the ball part. So when I meant length includes clasp, that's what I meant. It's as if you close the clasp and measure the circumference of the bracelet, which can be a little tricky and is still off by 1/4 in or so.

Let us know your opinion when you get the exchange. :)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Wow Yssie- Sorry you had this experience. I don't see the color difference on my monitor but I do see the scratches. Glad they're going to make it right.

I turned a co-worker on to PP. She ordered the 8.5-9.5 white freshies and when it came, she was over the moon. Gorgeous strand.
She then ordered the same one for her sisters b-day. The second strand came, and it was unreal how different both strands looked.
The pearls on the one she got for her sister were much smaller. I understand that the range is 8.5-9.5 but I think only one, maybe two pearls were anywhere near the 9mm mark. A few of the pearls were also very off round. When you put both strands side by side, there was a such large visual difference, you would never assume both strands were of the same quality.

She sent it back, and decided to try for the 9.5-10.5 strand. This time around it was perfect. Gorgeous large pearls, nothing too off round, just a perfect strand. just goes to show how sometimes, things slip by quality control.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_chris said:
Wow Yssie- Sorry you had this experience. I don't see the color difference on my monitor but I do see the scratches. Glad they're going to make it right.

I turned a co-worker on to PP. She ordered the 8.5-9.5 white freshies and when it came, she was over the moon. Gorgeous strand.
She then ordered the same one for her sisters b-day. The second strand came, and it was unreal how different both strands looked.
The pearls on the one she got for her sister were much smaller. I understand that the range is 8.5-9.5 but I think only one, maybe two pearls were anywhere near the 9mm mark. A few of the pearls were also very off round. When you put both strands side by side, there was a such large visual difference, you would never assume both strands were of the same quality.

She sent it back, and decided to try for the 9.5-10.5 strand. This time around it was perfect. Gorgeous large pearls, nothing too off round, just a perfect strand. just goes to show how sometimes, things slip by quality control.

Thanks elle_chris. I'm glad it worked out for your co-worker - and I'm glad to hear that I can safely expect that the replacements will be perfect :))

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
elle_chris said:

I am still pretty unhappy with the white Freshadma earrings my wife got with her set of 8.5-9mm White Freshadmas. The luster of the bracelet and necklace is excellent the earrings not nearly as good. I couldn't be bothered returning the earrings before and I doubt it would be allowed now but it still bugs me a bit that the luster is not nearly as good.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CCL they have a generous return (not sure when you purchased but I believe it's 90 days), perhaps contact them and see what they say?

I'm surprised though, I usually expect earrings to be of higher quality in a set

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another update:

The returns manager called me this morning to confirm that the items have been received. She confirmed the scratches on the pearl back caused by the loose nut and that the clasp problems would be fixed, and we talked about my issues with the pearls themselves whilst she had them in hand - as a sidenote, if anyone is looking to purchase soon there is apparently a greater stock of white Freshadamas with rose overtone than ivory, so finding suitable pearls for a project is more likely with the former 8)

All in all she was very friendly and helpful and I'm looking forward to seeing my new pearls when they come in ::)

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Weirdly enough, when I got my Freshadama bracelet today, mine has a jump ring between the gimp and the clasp on both ends, where yours doesn't Yssie. Very strange. Also the jump rings are soldered and round.

(I got the rose overtone variety, which may explain why mine is nicely matched and really nice quality as one would expect from PP...)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
CCL they have a generous return (not sure when you purchased but I believe it's 90 days), perhaps contact them and see what they say?

I'm surprised though, I usually expect earrings to be of higher quality in a set

Its been 8 months, we didn't change them because it would have been a hassle cross border both ways.
The shipping both ways would have been equal to close to the value of the earrings.

Maybe in the future I will order another pair of earrings for the set they are only $67.
I like pearlparadise but even with a brand like Freshadamas pearl quality control and consistancy is never 100% guaranteed.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Freshadama pearls are highest quality pearls usually sorted out to make earrings and pendants, not part of a strand. These pearls are the highest quality for each harvest, too special to be drilled into "necklace" material. However, do take into consideration that each harvest is different. This applies to all kinds of cultured pearls, not just freshwater or strictly Freshadama. Last year's harvest compared to this year's harvest can vary in color, luster, shape. Pearl farms come and go in China too. I think Freshadama pearls do not come from just one farm year after year.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CCL - if you do re-purchase, perhaps call beforehand, tell them your experience and they'll take extra care to ensure your next pair is perfect

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Oh Dear, I wish I had found this thread sooner. Just ordered an Akoya bracelet for my mother and requested it to be 6.5'' restrung. The too tight french wire and lack of soldering on the jump rings bothers me a bit....

I do hope it is fine when I get it.
Glad to hear that they took care of the return and exchange though. This is the first time I have ever ordered from PP.

You should be fine. As necklaces and brackets are worn the French wire loosens up a bit anyways so for me, I prefer it to be super tight to start with. If it wasn't that tight when the silk/ thread started to relax- the strand would be loose and saggy.

I would say this is an extreme case where a lot went wrong with the order but by no means is this usually seen. I've ordered from thim many times and always get great customer service if anything were to go wrong.

Please post your goodies when you get them,

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
briolette|1297458413|2849555 said:
Oh Dear, I wish I had found this thread sooner. Just ordered an Akoya bracelet for my mother and requested it to be 6.5'' restrung. The too tight french wire and lack of soldering on the jump rings bothers me a bit....

I do hope it is fine when I get it.
Glad to hear that they took care of the return and exchange though. This is the first time I have ever ordered from PP.

briolette - I posted another (happy!) thread after this one detailing how PP fixed the issues. I have since ordered from them several times, and each time have been happy with the result.

If something *does* go wrong with your order I am completely confident that PP will address the issue(s) to your satisfaction, as they did mine. And honestly, that's the thing that comforts me most re. buying online! But if you are nervous still... just pick up the phone and call in :))

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Phew! Good to hear that this was a on-off situation. I'll definitely post pictures when I get the item. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results