shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelers, help me understand different "matte" finishes on ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I recently helped our brother-in-law purchase a great H&A diamond from one of the vendors here on PS (for his wife, husband''s sister) , and he had it set in a simple cathedral solitaire and requested a "matte/sandblasted" finish so that it would match their wedding bands. They got married last year with just wedding bands, and didn''t have the time/budget for the e-ring until recently, so they did things in reverse.

Here''s the thing...The matte finish on their wedding bands are very fine, and satiny....while the finish on the e-ring setting was grainier/grittier. Since my husband''s sister is on an summer exchange program in Spain, she has not seen it. Her husband picked up the ring, and brought it over to our house to show us, and while we all LOVE the grainier/grittier finish (it looks almost frosted), he''s afraid his wife might be upset about the rings not matching.

Here are my questions, since I was the one that helped with the ordering of the ring...

1) Was my request for a matte/sandblasted finish incorrect? Should I have asked for a satin finish?

2) Is there any way to rectify the finish, and have the grittiness polished down to match the wedding band?

3) If so, can the repolishing be done with the diamond mounted (say through a local jeweler)? I don''t know if my SIL will let the ring leave her finger once she gets it, it''s beautiful :)

Thanks for reading.....and please respond if you know any of the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results