shape
carat
color
clarity

And we stop collecting stones owing to...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fedex and DHL. DHL sent me this invoice for $ 83 dollars. From VVS1, for the other chrysoberyl. Had I known, I would not have bought it. I never had problems with Tan's stones, do not know how it happened, but the main thing is, I can not call DHL! !800 nr is hopeless, I put my phone on the table and waited for 2 hours, then left a message, and of course, no one has called. It is a bottomless pit. I had a similar situation with FEDEX, but there, at least, was a human person calling me, here is just D.H.L. and no way to reach anyone human. I do not know why they are trying to make me pay, I am not going to pay them, let them send me to collections, I pay my bills on time. But as to VVS1... what's going on there? Some stupid chrysoberyl, and so many problems?

Oh, and here is my original post. Vapid Lapid, to check harmonized number, I have to know it and to know it, I have to talk to someone, and to talk to someone, I have to wait for a day on the phone...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dhl-fares.154666/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dhl-fares.154666/[/URL]

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Odd, but gemstones coming into the US generally should not be charged a duty. (unless they're changing things)

-A

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi Crasru,

I think that you may have been charged that much because it was DHL express. The last time I order (clothes not gems) internationally (US to Oz) with DHL express, my bill was around 80$ too. But when I opted for regular DHL, which was re-routed via regular post, I didn't end up paying those customs fees.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I know. Its such a bummer. My least favorite is USPS coming into the UK. They have a 13 pound handling fee... Grrr! Just had a two week issue with USPS because the VAT was miscalculated (they wanted to charge me 155 pounds for a DanielM pendant that cost 288 dollars). It did take 2 weeks, but it seems to be sorted now. I actually prefer FedX (no handling fee). Wish I lived in the US!!!!!
Sorry for your troubles!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your shipping troubles. I wonder what the fee is for because there are no import fees for gems from any location around the world. What explanation did Fedex provide since you were able to talk to a live person?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, my understanding is that whomever did the paperwork used the wrong codes. I don't remember what they are off hand, but they have changed. WIth the stones being loose there should have been no additional charge period. I would speak with Tan via email about this as this is pretty much their responsibility.

Here's the only information I get from DHL. If you still have the packaging with the shipping number, they can tell you what codes were used.

-A

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
im getting papers from homeland security in the US-i think they r starting to watch what goes & comes least here in the way of valuables-the govt is starting to watch almost everything BIG BROTHER IS HERE-steve...iv been spouting this for quite sometime :angryfire:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Crasru I am so sorry to hear you are having this trouble. It is unnecessary and stressful on top of being just plain rude. In the post-post modern world they should be able to get the worldwide post right. This is what one sellers site says about this as of last month,

Duties on rough gemstones - please take note that the U.S. Customs have imposed a new tariff on rough sawn gemstones!!! These stones are now classified under the Harmonized Number 7103.10.40 and attracts a duty of 10.5%.
But, this only seems to be the case when parcels are sent by courier - we have not had any duties imposed on parcels sent by Registered post. It is interesting to note that cut, faceted stones attract NO duty!

I believe this is mostly the result of a crackdown from the burmese ban. a google of the above harmonized number gives me this:

http://www.faqs.org/rulings/tariffs/71031020.html

which may lead you to some help, greater understanding of their evil ways, or more confusion and frustration. I fear you may have to call us customs

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Crasru, can't add anything to this but wanted to say I'm sorry for your woes. What a pain. Companies that don't let you talk to a person just make me blow steam out of my ears. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I very rarely use DHL or Fedex and opt for regular mail (especially when coming from Tan). I purchased a stone from him last Friday and it arrived today with no duty etc. I'm pretty sure it would be the same for the US also.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results