shape
carat
color
clarity

Targeted Internet Ads for Engagement Rings

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
So, I would bet a fair few ladies in this forum have experienced this: you log into facebook, or are browsing some other page, and the ads are all engagement rings due to data-mining and targeted ads. A friend of mine is an LIW in utter agony because her boyfriend of over 6 years just isn't sure if he wants to marry her (they've been together since 19, really only ever dated each other, and he feels like he's missed out on wild oat sowing), and targeted ads really rub salt in the wound. And anyway, why is facebook torturing her and not him?!

Does it bug you? Do you ever give facebook feedback about not wanting to see them?

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, it does bug me, mostly because I'm not a pushy person and my boyfriend has no clue exactly how much time I spend on pricescope and others (he knows I browse, and I show him things when he asks) so if he sees my facebook all he sees is engagement ring ads, haha.

I'm also really into names... what they mean, how popular they are, baby naming trends, so I get targeted "Oh I guess you are pregnant!!" ads all the time. :rolleyes:

HaloBelle

Shiny_Rock
Yes, they are everywhere. gmail, facebook, google, etc. and yes - i do report them. i tell them that their targeting their ads to the wrong people...all girls want a sparkler but the boy buys them.

'stop wasting your advertising budget by advertising to someone who already knows she wants your product!!'

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Unsolicited advice: Tell her to drop the bf and stay off of fb.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
[swin]girl you are preaching to the choir! she's more BF's friend than mine so I don't want to overstep my bounds, but I have said to her that she should tell him to go see what wild oats sowing is really like: going out to clubs and more than likely spending $50 buying drinks for some girl half as pretty as my friend, who shuts you down at the end of the night.

but on the subject of ads, it bothers me that they're trying to stir up desire in 20-something girls, but bothers me even more that most of the rings I get pitched at me are atrocious. come on facebook, i have better taste than that! :razz:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, facebook has figured out I like sapphires. So I get Brilliant Earth ads all the time. I probably would have ended up with a Brilliant Earth ring if I hadn't found pricescope!

I agree about the targeting. I mean, B&M stores have figured out the put ring commercials during sports, facebook should try the same.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I think we should all start using our SO's computers and search lots of diamond sites so that when they're facebooking they get the adds too! :Up_to_something:

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Facebook thinks I have babies, too, but I can't figure out why. I get lots of diaper ads.

HaloBelle

Shiny_Rock
Glitz|1296509664|2838504 said:
I think we should all start using our SO's computers and search lots of diamond sites so that when they're facebooking they get the adds too! :Up_to_something:

GENIUS. That is the ultimate subtle hint. :naughty: :Up_to_something:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Oh so THATS why I'm suddenly seeing a lot of wedding adverts on facebook now- and I thought it was a coincidence :oops:

LvMyOMC

Rough_Rock
This is a funny topic. Makes me laugh because lately I've been seeing engagement ring ads everywhere on the internet! We should use our SO's computer so they will see them, not us ;))

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
It's not the engagement, wedding and now pregnancy/ baby ads that bother me, it's that fact that through those 3 stages of my life the only ads that I see come up on my husbands FB account are the "meet single ladies" type....

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
He's not getting the ads because he's not visiting ring vendors :)

Re-targeted ads work because the ad-serving tool can see where you've been by looking into our cookies. So Glitz's idea to use your BF's computer and look up lots of diamond sites is a good one.

My advice to your friend is to stop visiting diamond sites, clear her cookies and let her boyfriend "free" to go sew his wild oats. I've been with DH since I was 18. He'd never had any type of girlfriend previous to me and was worried about "life experiences" when I was ready to get married. I left, he was free to do whatever he wanted and suddenly his fears went away.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1297187452|2846678 said:
He's not getting the ads because he's not visiting ring vendors :)

Re-targeted ads work because the ad-serving tool can see where you've been by looking into our cookies. So Glitz's idea to use your BF's computer and look up lots of diamond sites is a good one.

My advice to your friend is to stop visiting diamond sites, clear her cookies and let her boyfriend "free" to go sew his wild oats. I've been with DH since I was 18. He'd never had any type of girlfriend previous to me and was worried about "life experiences" when I was ready to get married. I left, he was free to do whatever he wanted and suddenly his fears went away.
In the case of FB, I am pretty sure you don't need to visit diamond sites to get engagement ring ads, just be set to "in a relationship" and in a certain age range. For other sites though, that's good advice. I need to clear my cookies for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results