shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Zircon anyone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I obtained this metamict green zircon from a dealer that only deals in Sri Lankan gems. I've bought other stones from him before. It was very inexpensive, and so I didn't worry about treatment or synthetics too much. I will say it's very pretty, and a minty color, more than my photo shows, and cut very well. Does anyone know more about green zircons? I thought it was very attractive, and it reminds me of a Namibian demantoid, but with better color. It's 1.6 carats, and my goodness, these stones must be dense, because it looks like a 75 pointer of something else.

TLgreenzircon1_6.JPG

TLgreenzirconhand.JPG

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your zircon has a really nice color. The ones I see tend to be very yellowish.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I've seen quite a few of the green zircons - ranging from a nasty muddy green to a nice bright green.

They tend to have lower RI (1.79 to 1.84 compared with 1.92 to 1.99 for a high type), far less dispersion than high type zircon, vitreous rather than sub-adamantine lustre, weak birefringence and very weak if any pleochroism - the loss of crystal structure turns them pretty much into an amorphous glass, even though the external form remains the same. They often show zoning and some can still be mildly radioative (or so I've heard!). They will still show the distinctive zircon spectrum.

If you heat it, it will go lighter in colour or even colourless - the heating will also restore it from a low-type to a high-type.

You can get green zircons which are the result of nuking a yellow intermediate type and these will be a bright green.

That's about all I can think of off-hand. Pretty stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Deathspi.

Thanks Pandora,
That was very informative and helpful!!! :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1296863686|2843423 said:
I've seen quite a few of the green zircons - ranging from a nasty muddy green to a nice bright green.

They tend to have lower RI (1.79 to 1.84 compared with 1.92 to 1.99 for a high type), far less dispersion than high type zircon, vitreous rather than sub-adamantine lustre, weak birefringence and very weak if any pleochroism - the loss of crystal structure turns them pretty much into an amorphous glass, even though the external form remains the same. They often show zoning and some can still be mildly radioative (or so I've heard!). They will still show the distinctive zircon spectrum.

If you heat it, it will go lighter in colour or even colourless - the heating will also restore it from a low-type to a high-type.

You can get green zircons which are the result of nuking a yellow intermediate type and these will be a bright green.

:-o Pandora don't mention the word nuking It does weird things to TL!

Great colour TL - lovely find.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1296865571|2843447 said:

Did someone say the word "NUKING?!"

toxicavenger.JPG

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

LOL, it's just so much easier than trying to spell irradiated...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See? What did I tell you?

TL go and put your make up on NOW. Honestly there's no need to post that photo of yourself without make up.

Now, apply as I've taught you ......

Nice make up.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, that looks like David Bowie after he's been exposed to a meltdown. :errrr:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1296866301|2843460 said:
OMG, that looks like David Bowie after he's been exposed to a meltdown. :errrr:

Or irradiation! :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice.

He's got a few I've looked at for a while. I guess I could understand heating, thats if the stones are dark (I've read that heating lightens them) but irradiating? if some stones still have radiation in them, wouldn't that be dangerous? <----non scientist asking.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Arcadian,
I'm unaware of the treatments on zircon, because honestly, I've never liked them :oops: , and I don't collect them, but this one caught my eye. Who knows how many treatments they do to gems these days, there's so many, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some "Frankengems" walking around. :errrr:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have a bright sparkly clean one too. I'll have to set that soon. White gold?
If they're radioactive then wouldnt they be self-nuking?

Tl yours has a really nice cut and proportions

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1296865835|2843450 said:

Did someone say the word "NUKING?!"

Oh and my best friend's brother is the creator of Toxy. Have you seen Poultrygeist?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1296876155|2843602 said:
I have a bright sparkly clean one too. I'll have to set that soon. White gold?
If they're radioactive then wouldnt they be self-nuking?

Tl yours has a really nice cut and proportions

Thanks VL,
If I set it, and LD will cringe, it will be in rose gold. I love minty stones in rose gold. It's more minty than my photos convey. BTW, here's the vendor photo, it's small, but conveys the color better I think.

TLgreenzirconvendor.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1296876327|2843605 said:
Oh and my best friend's brother is the creator of Toxy. Have you seen Poultrygeist?

OMG, you're kidding me. I love that film!! I haven't seen Poultrygeist yet. I love John Water's "Polyester" (kind of the same sick humor).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like zircons, but yours looks very nice and green. And you are right, it does resemble a demantoid.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1296866129|2843457 said:

TL go and put your make up on NOW. Honestly there's no need to post that photo of yourself without make up.

The colors of the season by Mace Factor.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The density of zircon is a killer; I think it is around 4 or so which is heavy compared even to corundum. Look at it this way, you got a demantoid-like stone for a fraction of the price. :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1297090696|2845535 said:
The density of zircon is a killer; I think it is around 4 or so which is heavy compared even to corundum. Look at it this way, you got a demantoid-like stone for a fraction of the price. :naughty:

I own two demantoids (one Russian, one Namibian), and I like this stone better.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
It looks beautiful TL! I can't wait to see how you set it.
I'm thinking of a minty green stone for my tiny collection...in the future. :)

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
What a Beautiful GREEEEEN stone!
Color and sparkle factor !!!!!!!!!!
Now that's got to be good! :love: :love: :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Sandy and ooo~Shiney. It's a cute stone. Haven't made any plans for it yet. Have other projects in the works. ;)) :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1296885673|2843755 said:
I don't like zircons, but yours looks very nice and green. And you are right, it does resemble a demantoid.

Thanks Crasru,
I own two demantoids (one Russian and one Namibian) and I like the color on this zircon better, even though they're all green stones.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1296866129|2843457 said:

OMG LovingDiamonds are you from Ohio? The online Akron Beacon Journal has a member with an avatar of the same picture. :shock:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is just freaky because LD’s avatar picture is of her diamond pendant that she commissioned from Sally of Etsy, and I know that she's in the UK.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results