shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can one find a top color Mexican opal?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uli of Osirisgems has some very neon ones every once in a while. However, no color play. I own one and it's super neon. It makes Fanta soda look dull.

The one you posted is not that neon to me.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1296930396|2844047 said:
http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/mexican-opal/mexican-opal-3.03-carats.html

How about this one?

Uli has good stones and I plan to buy one but they are not large and do not appear super-orange. I simpy do not know what the sources are because I used to not like them and all of a sudden saw an excellent one in a book...

I am talking about top, eye-popping color...

That one is too yellow, which many suffer from, kind of like spessartites, they can have either too much brown or yellow.

My stone is eye popping color, but it was around 1 or 1.5 carats (don't remember). They do face up large since they have low density, but to find an astounding large neon one, especially with color play, like this one from the Field Museum, will be very pricey. You also need to buy from a reputable dealer as I believe they can be simulated. I was recently looking at very large, neon wello opals from an opal dealer at a gem show, and those were pricey. I bought a teeny 6mm one because I had to have it.

ETA: The Oregon fire opals that Uli carries are large but not as neon as the Mexican fire opals. Therefore, I wouldn't consider those. You might want to email Uli to see if he can obtain some larger Mexican fire opal rough, but again, from what I've heard, it's so hard to come by neon pieces, especially large ones. I hope someone else can chime in and give you some advice on where to buy.

Grainger_fireoapaldetail.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1296930064|2844040 said:
Just want to have one. I need a really nice one, but I do not know how common they are these days.

Is this a good stone?

http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/mexican-opal/mexican-opal-4.58-carats.html

Do you want a Mexican Fire Opal - typically orangey/red, sparkly, but won't have a show of colour play? Imagine looking in a volcano and seeing molten lava - that's the look. You'll sometimes see these called Cherry Opals as well.

OR

Do you want a Crystal/Water/Jelly opal - like the one that TL linked to - that has a transluscent body colour and good ones have a phenomenal play of colour.

Unfortunately you can't tell from photos whether Opals will be good or bad because it's difficult to capture the full beauty - and likewise, you may be able to capture the Opal from one angle that looks like the gem has a ton of colour play but it could just be in that area!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want the best. I want a neon-neon orange-orange color but if it defies the most important feature of opals, then color-play, let it be the color-play. It is hard to explain... I have to look at it and physically feel the orange. I have a cherry opal and it is marvelous, but I need a more orange color. I know they are expensive. Yours is great. I do not even know why the wish since in general I do not like opals and do not plan to buy a black one.

Whoever knows opal vendors, please, post links.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try here:

http://www.opalauctions.com/

It works a bit like Ebay but the dealers are Opal dealers and typically disclose whether the opal is natural, doublet, triplet etc. Some have videos as well.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, LD, I browsed their auctions. They seem to be very nice. Two things I understood are, it is extremely difficult to photograph colorplay Mexican opals and, also you have to know how they are photographed. Some have strong light on top, as if flash or strong direct source of light were used. But some vendors are located in the US, so at least they are easier returnable. I am not diving into this pond until I see more photos and more material. Lots of rough is sold but I have no clue if it is easy to cut it or not.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru - don't pay too much. Opals (even top quality ones) are not as expensive as you may think. Ok, the very very very top quality can be eye wateringly expensive (in comparison to very nice ones) but the good quality ones are phenomenally beautiful. If I were you, I'd find one that you like (in a photo), ask the Vendor about their returns policy and then get a few for a look. I think you'll be surpised that the majority of them will be beautiful in person also.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is too much? I know that black Australian opals can be very expensive, but I do not even know the range for Mexican ones ... Tens per carat? Hundreds? Thousands? No clue...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1297025084|2844993 said:
What is too much? I know that black Australian opals can be very expensive, but I do not even know the range for Mexican ones ... Tens per carat? Hundreds? Thousands? No clue...

They're so hard to find, in my experience, because I've been looking for one like that Grainger Museum example above. I saw somewhere, but I don't remember, that a neon orange one with color play was going for at least $1K/ct. Here's one in the opal auctions, but I'm not sure how saturated it is, and he wants a substantial sum on it. The stone above is a bad photo I took. It's super neon in person. if there's no colorplay, then they're much less it seems.

http://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/mexican-opals/item-203233

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
WELL ~ I had NO idea!!!!
That opal that TL linked is a stunner! Geez ! :love: :love: :love:
If that's about what you were expecting to pay then, hmmmm

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
crasru|1296934745|2844118 said:
Whoever knows opal vendors, please, post links.

I just know this dealer online, have not bought from him but might. I get the impression he is an an American in Mexico. Be your own judge. Best regards, Lee

http://rainforestacademy.com/gemstones.htm

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, the reason that the one that TL linked to is expensive is because it has a Harlequin pattern. Some patterns are more "rare" than others. However, I have to be honest and say that the pattern in the linked one is not as good as some Harlequins I've seen.

Crasru, you know how spinels can range from $very little to $enormously expensive? Well, that's the same for Opals (and most gemstones). With Opals you really need to decide whether you're looking for a world class piece that has (a) the best background colour (b) the best colour play (c) the best dominant most rare colour and (d) the best pattern and then of course size plays a part. However, in all honesty, you need to simply buy what you like with Opals. They're a niche market in that most people just go "oh pretty opal" rather than "OMG that's a fierce red/Harlequin pattern on your Opal and WOW just look at that body colour"!

So in this instance, I would highly recommend you don't go for world class as your first stone. Buy a few inexpensive ones that appeal to you and have great colour play. THEN and only then, if you love them enough, look for world class.

Here's some information on what is the most prized etc.............. like everything else, you may find that you don't actually like world class and just a nice one will do! http://www.internetopals.com/about/valuing-opals.htm http://www.codyopal.com/cody0405/aboutopals.htm

If your budget is $1000 you'll get something lovely AND possibly have some spare change. Under $500 you'll still be getting a great stone. In terms of size for your money, it could be anywhere between 1 and 5ct or even more!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a few examples - not sure if this will help but hopefully it will!

Okay, this is an Andamooka Semi Black Opal. What makes this one so nice is that it has predominately red (the most valued of colours) and it has colour across the whole face of the Opal and these colours show in all lighting conditions. Some Opals perform better under one light more than others. In addition, as the gem moves, you also see yellow, green, blue and purple (although red remains dominant). There are no "dead" spots and all the surface has colour.

Then, what makes this gem sing (for me) is that it has a rolling flash from 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock. You can't see this on the still photograph but what happens is that as you move the Opal the colour literally rolls from one side to the other in a solid block. That probably doesn't describe it well at all but I hope you get the idea! This is also very big and is around 15 x 12mm

Opal Andamooka Semi Black Daylight1_1_1_1.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some Mintabie Jelly Opals. These both are very pretty but they're most definitely not world class (or even near to that). You can pick these up with a bit of perseverence. I bought these specifically because they have good colour play.

Opals Mintabie comparison on hand2_1_1.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By contrast now, this is also a Mintabie Opal BUT it is not good. It's only got green and blue (the less valued colours) and there's not a lot of any other colour. Okay it has a decent colour play but it's not great by any stretch of the imagination.

Opal Mintabie Pear 1.ct_1_1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1297107861|2845757 said:
By contrast now, this is also a Mintabie Opal BUT it is not good. It's only got green and blue (the less valued colours) and there's not a lot of any other colour. Okay it has a decent colour play but it's not great by any stretch of the imagination.

At least you can see color play in that opal.

You should have seen the pathetic little opal that my husband bought me from Zales as a Valentine's gift the first year we went out. He's lucky I didn't base the future of our relationship on that stone. Think of a white "tic tac" - yes it was THAT bad. I gave it to my 7 year old daughter to wear.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1297106820|2845744 said:
Here's a few examples - not sure if this will help but hopefully it will!

Okay, this is an Andamooka Semi Black Opal. What makes this one so nice is that it has predominately red (the most valued of colours) and it has colour across the whole face of the Opal and these colours show in all lighting conditions. Some Opals perform better under one light more than others. In addition, as the gem moves, you also see yellow, green, blue and purple (although red remains dominant). There are no "dead" spots and all the surface has colour.

Then, what makes this gem sing (for me) is that it has a rolling flash from 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock. You can't see this on the still photograph but what happens is that as you move the Opal the colour literally rolls from one side to the other in a solid block. That probably doesn't describe it well at all but I hope you get the idea! This is also very big and is around 15 x 12mm

LD,
You have lovely opals!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1297105453|2845725 said:
Ok, the reason that the one that TL linked to is expensive is because it has a Harlequin pattern. Some patterns are more "rare" than others. However, I have to be honest and say that the pattern in the linked one is not as good as some Harlequins I've seen.

Crasru, you know how spinels can range from $very little to $enormously expensive? Well, that's the same for Opals (and most gemstones). With Opals you really need to decide whether you're looking for a world class piece that has (a) the best background colour (b) the best colour play (c) the best dominant most rare colour and (d) the best pattern and then of course size plays a part. However, in all honesty, you need to simply buy what you like with Opals. They're a niche market in that most people just go "oh pretty opal" rather than "OMG that's a fierce red/Harlequin pattern on your Opal and WOW just look at that body colour"!

So in this instance, I would highly recommend you don't go for world class as your first stone. Buy a few inexpensive ones that appeal to you and have great colour play. THEN and only then, if you love them enough, look for world class.

Here's some information on what is the most prized etc.............. like everything else, you may find that you don't actually like world class and just a nice one will do! http://www.internetopals.com/about/valuing-opals.htm http://www.codyopal.com/cody0405/aboutopals.htm

If your budget is $1000 you'll get something lovely AND possibly have some spare change. Under $500 you'll still be getting a great stone. In terms of size for your money, it could be anywhere between 1 and 5ct or even more!

The neon orange fire opal at the Field museum didn't have any harlequin pattern, but it did have beautiful colorplay. Although I'm not an expert in opals, I would try to get the following in this order from 1 being the most important to 3 being the least important.

1) The best orange base color you can get
2) colorplay
3) size (at least opals are not dense and face up large for their size)
4) pattern of colorplay
5) shape

I would place the least emphasis on colorplay patterns.

Of course, that's coming from someone who is not an opal expert, but just some guidelines I would go by since those neon orange colors are very rare (at least from what I have seen).

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Loving Diamonds, Oooo I love the big red one of course,
but those little jelly bean opals are my favorites !
How pretty and sweet are those !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the semi-black one. It looks like Mother Earth from the cosmos!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1297124867|2846055 said:
LovingDiamonds|1297107861|2845757 said:

At least you can see color play in that opal.

You should have seen the pathetic little opal that my husband bought me from Zales as a Valentine's gift the first year we went out. He's lucky I didn't base the future of our relationship on that stone. Think of a white "tic tac" - yes it was THAT bad. I gave it to my 7 year old daughter to wear.

TL, I just can not see you married to a gem buyer... :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results