shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds on vacation....

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I made the topic vague because I actually have two questions, and thought I would kill two birds with one stone :tongue:

So, DH and I are taking our honeymoon next week to the Caribbean, my two questions are:

-do you travel with your diamonds? We went the the Bahamas last year when we were still just engaged, and I left my engagement ring home. I take it off when I go to the beach, or do anything that might get it dirty. So the idea of taking it off all day when we went to the beach and leaving it in the hotel, and only putting it on at night didnt make sense to me. However I felt so naked without it and kept looking down at might finger swearing I lost it ::) . Now that we are married, and we will be going around saying its our honeymoon to partake in the usual upgrades and amenities hotels love giving to honeymooners, haha, it just seems so weird to not have it on. Is that stupid? My husband said to just wear my wedding ring and leave the engagement ring home. But I would still be taking it off when we went to the pool/beach. I asked the girls at work, and the one was telling me to wear it, and that she wears her all the time and never takes it off. Not saying mine is better than hers, but she has a rather tiny center stone, and very understated ring. It doesnt really draw too much attention. Same with the other girls I asked. Mine isnt HUGE by any means, especially compared to some on this site! :love: But it is a 2ct, gorgeous stone if I do say so myself, that sparkles like mad. So I am afraid it may draw too much attention. And the idea of getting suntan lotion all gunked in it breaks my heart. lol. Dont know why I had to go into that much detail, since "do you bring your rings with you?" is a simple yes or no question. HAHA (PS: I have insurance on it if that changes anyone's opinion).

-Second question: Do you buy diamonds while on vacation? My SIL cam back from her honeymoon with jewelry, and kept talking about what a great deal it is over there. But she doesnt know much about diamonds, so I feel like I cant take her word on it. The one she got was a "yellow diamond", but not like a gorgeous canary yellow diamond, more like a diamond with a low color grade on it that they sold as a "yellow diamond". Also, you can see the inclusions plain as day. Anyway, not sure why I went into that either! I guess I am just wondering if 1) is it really that much cheaper to buy over there (other than the tax free part), and 2) Can you really trust what you get? Would love some advice or suggestions from someone who has done it.

Wow sorry for the long post. Thank you to everyone in advance for their input!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I left my ering at home when we went to the Bahamas last year. However, I do take it with me on other vacations that don't involve sand and swimming.

And no, I don't buy diamonds on vacation. But then, I don't really buy diamonds at all.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I am never comfortable leaving jewelry in a hotel room. Traveled a lot for work for 15 yrs & when I took stuff I valued, I stashed it in carry-on luggage & usually during the day in my briefcase.

I was too lazy to go in & out of the hotel safe, but you would be safest doing that -- put it in there when you're going to the beach. I'd want to take erings, etc., too, on a trip like that -- the hotel safe is the only secure option I can think of.

--- Laurie

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've worn my jewelry pretty much everywhere I've been these last few years ... but only the stuff that's insured. I think life is a little too short not to enjoy your possessions! That said, the bigger concerns are personal safety (if I get mugged, my jewelry is insured, great ... but I don't exactly life the idea of being on the wrong end of a gun barrel for any reason), and etiquette, frankly - I wouldn't wear big stones to a place where the residents were living in poverty.

Now, I wouldn't actually want to bring my ring just to leave it in a safe all day, or worry about getting it dirty at the beach. Perhaps buying a decoy travel ring might work for you, given your circumstances?

As for question B: NO! Trips are a great place to buy mementos, or things you admire for the artistry ... but diamonds, like PSrs buy diamonds? I don't think so, not unless you stumble across a great vintage piece ....

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I brought my set with me on our honeymoon and I just put it in the in-room safe when I wasn't wearing it.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
I went to Europe and I wore my engagement ring, wedding ring, and anniversary ring. I never took them off, as I had no need to. I did not go to the beach or go swimming or anything that would get my ring yucky. We just got back from Cancun a few weeks ago, and I also brought the above rings and a RHR. It was not worth it. Every morning, I had to lock it in the safe. Right before I would leave the room, I would go into freak out mode, and would check and double check that they were indeed in the safe. Then in the evenings I would get it out and wear it to dinner. REPEAT. lol. Nothing happened and I did not fear that it would get stolen OUT of the safe, rather I would forget to put it in the safe or something. I don't know if I would bring them again on a beach vacation? Right now I say no, but when the time comes I may be sad to leave them. I don't have a safe at home and honestly would be just as fearful that they would get stolen if left at home. So who knows :) As for earrings, I don't think I would bring them. They are so small...

I don't think I would buy diamonds or any expensive jewelry on a vacation. Well maybe a vacation to like New York, LA, or a large city from a reputable jeweler. Def not the Bahamas or Mexico or somewhere from a shady vendor.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I would wear them and just make sure to give them excellent scrubs and rinses while in the ocean, washing your hands, etc. I would have felt so lost without my rings on my finger.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I brought mine with me during our honeymoon in Rarotonga (Cook Islands) last year. I thought about leaving it at home but I knew I would miss it for the 2+ weeks we would be gone (though it's only 1 carat so perhaps I wouldn't miss is that much?? :confused: ). When I swam I wore it on my right finger, which is slightly larger than my left so I knew it was snug and safe. I wasn't excited about being in salt water with it or being around sand and sunblock but I got over that quickly. The alternative, leaving it in our house, wasn't really an option in my mind. I would get over the whole getting it dirty thing and bring it with you if you think you'll miss it that much. Just bring an extra toothbrush with you and some mild soap (I cleaned it using diluted dish soap and super hot water). Clean it after your day by the pool or beach before you go to dinner.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would bring mine and only take them off to sleep. I would only bring what I would wear everyday. Only my e-ring is insured but
I would wear the other stuff anyway. You have to do what would feel comfortable for your though.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I wore mine on our honeymoon to Bali but i only take my rings off to clean them. I don't remove them to swim or anything like that because it hurts to take them off and i don't care if they get dirty.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
When I travel internationally, I leave my diamonds at home. I do not want to worry about them getting lost or damaged. I also don't want people to notice my jewelry when I travel, both because of the risk of being a target and just not feeling it is appropriate when visiting countries with a much lower per capita income.

I travel with my plain platinum wedding band and 1 or 2 pairs of "wear with anything" white gold or silver earrings. My bank account came with a free safe deposit box, so I store any valuable pieces there when we travel or have contractors over to work on the house while DH and I are at work.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My rings are insured globally for all risks. That said, I will happily wear them in 1st world countries like most of Europe, the US etc but I do not wear them if I am going to a developing country.

I specifically got married with two wedding rings: a 1908 22ct plain gold band and my diamond set platinum band that goes with my e-ring. When I am travelling to countries where I don't feel it is appropriate to wear my e-ring, I wear my gold band.

That way I am still wearing a ring that I was actually married with. I don't run the risk of having my other rings stolen or of being inappropriate in a place where people don't have enough to eat let alone have fancy bling. And I have a coloured stone in my e-ring not a big sparkly diamond.

To answer the second question, I do buy gemstones when I am abroad - but I am an almost fully-qualified gemmologist (with any luck I'll get my FGA in June), know what I am doing and go specifically for that purpose - with a complete instrument kit.

No way would I spend serious money on diamonds - I've seen some of these 'bargains'. One of my friends bought his wife's e-ring in Antigua - they spent 30 minutes in the shop and walked out with a 3 stone e-ring. The diamonds aren't frozen spit by any means, but they don't begin to compare with what most people on PS would buy.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I wear my jewelry when we travel. When we went to Cancun last year, I just put it in the room safe when we went to the beach. In Europe, I wore my jewelry but left the nicer handbags at home. I didn't want to be a target for pickpocketers.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have worn my e-ring and Shared-prong rings to trips to Carribean, Taiwan and Europe...I also plan to wear it on our Cruise to Mexico this year. I never lock them in a hotel room safe,I always wear them. I feel that they are the safest when they are on me. I think the chances of being mugged are really low, especially if you are visiting very crowded, touristy places. My rings are both platinum,and no pave, so I'd wear them to the beach as well. I'm pretty gentle on my jewelry.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
For holidays in the developed world, I wear my 1 carat diamond e ring.

In the UK I wear my three stone with 2.5 ct centre.

I have a half carat Montana sapphire ring on a plain band for holidays in the developing world.

The first two are insured, the third is not worth it and was bought for this specific purpose.

When travelling to some very poor countries eg in subsaharan Africa, I wear a plain band only.

A three ring (and one band) solution but it works for me.

I don't like being without a ring, but I wear something appropriate to the occasion.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I just came back from Jamaica and I lived and traveled in Europe for 2 years- I have never taken off my ring during any of our travels. It is 2.35 carats but it is also insured and meant to be loved. If you don't want to wear it, don't wear a fake though as someone who wants to mug you won't know it is fake so better in that case to wear nothing.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I never travel anymore with anything I'd be upset about if it were lost or stolen. I've been really lucky with my jewelry, but I've had family members who've lost extremely sentimental pieces. My mother lost a necklace my father had given her in high school (they've been married 48 years.) You're not in your usual routine on vacation, so it's easy to misplace something. Just look at each piece and ask yourself how upset you'd be if you came home without it.
Whoops, almost forgot question #2. I'm not sure about buying diamonds on vacation, but I love to get inexpensive stuff to remind me of the trip.

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
I wore my ER and WB in Puerto Vallarta everywhere. I am also wearing them in Asia when I travel. Both are insured and I rather wear them the to freak out about them being in a safe at the hotel. Truth be told, I have heard horror stories about hotel saves being broken into--not to scare you or anything. But then again, in PV we never left the resort. By Asian standards my rings are very blingy because they generally don't do rings at all or if they do its much plainer however, I guess since I've lived there on and off throughout my life I've never felt unsafe there.

As for purchasing jewelery, I can see myself doing it if I knew the seller was reputable and were selling a good product. That being said, I wouldn't buy anything in Mexico but I would in Asia...only because I know the language and the can do the leg work to see if the seller is trustworthy.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
purselover|1296830411|2842801 said:
I brought my set with me on our honeymoon and I just put it in the in-room safe when I wasn't wearing it.
Do NOT ever leave your rings in a hotel safe in the US Virgin Islands. In fact, I would never leave mine in a room's safe anywhere. Some years back, we were at a well known luxury resort. We arrived for dinner at the hotel restaurant, and they refused admission for our guest. (We were hosting another couple.) They had a no shorts policy, which he was not aware of. They gave him a golf cart ride back to his room, while the rest of us waited at the restaurant for him to change into long pants. Upon arrival in the room, he surprised the thief, who ran over to the patio windows and jumped out into the shrubbery below. What our friend saw was a huge round ring of keys in his back pocket, and it was obvious that he was an employee, who knew when we went to dinner. Hotel safes are not safe from hotel employees. This was at one of the most luxurious resorts in the Virgin Islands.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only diamonds I'd buy on vacation are from my favorite online vendors, and I'd have them shipped to my home.
I don't see vacations as a time to turn off my brain.
There are so many unsavvy characters preying on tourists.

I do wear my ring on vacation.
If I feel the need I'll spin it around so the diamond is not visible and it looks like a wedding band.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I wore my engagement ring on my honeymoon, and locked it in the hotel safe when not wearing it.

Subsequent vacations I have left it at home.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NakedFinger|1296829548|2842782 said:
-Second question: Do you buy diamonds while on vacation? My SIL cam back from her honeymoon with jewelry, and kept talking about what a great deal it is over there. But she doesnt know much about diamonds, so I feel like I cant take her word on it. The one she got was a "yellow diamond", but not like a gorgeous canary yellow diamond, more like a diamond with a low color grade on it that they sold as a "yellow diamond". Also, you can see the inclusions plain as day. Anyway, not sure why I went into that either! I guess I am just wondering if 1) is it really that much cheaper to buy over there (other than the tax free part), and 2) Can you really trust what you get? Would love some advice or suggestions from someone who has done it.

Wow sorry for the long post. Thank you to everyone in advance for their input!

my SIL did the samething... :rolleyes: she purchased a so call "yellow diamond" while she was on vacation in St.Thomas. i kept on warnning her not to by any diamonds outside the U.S. my SIL think she got a good bargin when the vendor eccepted her counter offer of 50% off... :wacko:

IMO...diamonds are less expensive in the U.S. compared to other countries.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I leave my diamonds at home when I travel or vacation. I like to be active and I don't want to use the safe. I had my watch stolen in Hawaii.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have done both: take my diamonds, and leave them home, but in the safe deposit box at my bank. These days, going on a trip where I would be taking the ring off for beach, etc, I'd leave them at the bank and bring my 'travel' jewelry that is not genuine stones. If there is an in-room safe, I will still use that, because I never want to lose a piece of jewelry, no matter the 'value.'

As for buying jewelry, I have. The most expensive being a sapphire band ring, from Columbian Emeralds, in Barbadoes. It's still a beautiful ring, but that was 16 years ago, and I wouldn't buy something like that again, having the web and PS at my disposal. I stick to fun, inexpensive items for my souveniers now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results