shape
carat
color
clarity

What the heck is an emerald doublet?

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's layer(s) of emerald glued to another material, usually glass.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes it's two colorless beryls glued together with a green color inserted between the two. There's all kinds of doublets, but know that they are not worth as much as a real emerald with the same color, clarity and size.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
" Ultra Rare Unseen Natural Emerald Doublet Pair"......How can anyone resist a sales pitch like that. I'm not sure how you sell something as "unseen" when you've got a picture of it on the same page. Does anyone really read and believe that stuff?

Doublets aren't bad if you view them as costume jewelry and pay in the same price range for them. As two pieces of material which are glued together they are definitely a step up from "composite" stones as some rubies, turquoise like materials and so forth. There are even some pretty nice opals that have had to be made into doublets, since the fire layer is too thin to support a full cabochon. A benefit of some doublets is that the upper layer can be made of a more durable layer than the lower layer and so give protection to softer material, as is the case with the opals. They can be very pretty, but are always inexpensive since the glues used tend to degrade over long time periods.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The ones to be really wary of are the soude emeralds that are already set in jewellery. Sometimes the only way to tell them is through immersion which you can't do in the setting. They are very, very convincing.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone :wavey:

I wasn't considering buying them but I was thrown by the whole doublet thing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results