shape
carat
color
clarity

Nick names...

reader

Brilliant_Rock
How about an email signature that reads: "Barbara is my name. Barb is what I will stick in your back if you don't use it." :)
FWIW, I hate my first name, and people insist on it instead of a nickname because I have reached the age where I must love my first name.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ara Ann|1296496373|2838274 said:
Wow, glad I am not the only one with name sensitivity issues! 8)

Kind of reminds me of "Anne of Green Gables" - how Anne insists her name is spelled, "Anne, with an 'e'." =)

So far so good...no more 'Barbs' yet! Except for the e-mailing co-worker and I am not going to take issue with her, since it's only in e-mail...but I will have more confidence about addressing this now...even if it falls on deaf ears, I can try anyway!

I love "Anne with an 'e'!" :bigsmile:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe|1296514444|2838597 said:
Ara Ann|1296496373|2838274 said:
Wow, glad I am not the only one with name sensitivity issues! 8)

Kind of reminds me of "Anne of Green Gables" - how Anne insists her name is spelled, "Anne, with an 'e'." =)

So far so good...no more 'Barbs' yet! Except for the e-mailing co-worker and I am not going to take issue with her, since it's only in e-mail...but I will have more confidence about addressing this now...even if it falls on deaf ears, I can try anyway!

I love "Anne with an 'e'!" :bigsmile:

Should I mention I also have red hair? =) Maybe the name deal is a red headed thing! :razz:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My name gets shortened all the time, and I cannot stand it. I actually tell people, I prefer to be called ...... (full name).

What is even worse is that I get called my my last name 95% of the time. We have the most common Korean last name (thanks DH :angryfire: ) which is Kim. Most people call me Kim even within seconds of being introduced to me not realizing that it's my LAST name and not my first which must be so insignificant that they can't even remember it. Even dh gets called Kim, and he's a GUY.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, that seems pretty rude, to inflict a nickname on someone who clearly didn't introduce themselves as that. I would never! I think it's perfectly reasonable to politely correct the "barb-ers" and keep doing it until they catch on. I don't imagine anyone could take offense at that.

There is only one person who gets to shorten my name like that is my sister. (She calls me Hol, for Holly- anyone else would get growled at I'm sure! Nobody else tries at least, thank goodness!)

I actually remember getting rather irritated with a co-worker a couple of days ago because she called another co-worker "Weezy" for "Louise", and I just cringed. I know she was trying to be cute about it, but lord- that one is just a terrible nickname.

With the surname thing- I realized, reading Haven's post, that I've never been called, in the decade I've been married, "Mrs. Marriedname", except maybe on junk mail. Weird. People just call me by my first name always, I guess. I'd probably start looking over my shoulder for my MIL if someone called me that!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always loved my nicknames, those that were bestowed on me by family, at least! "little green bean," "eagle eyes," "hunter," "shorty maria," "green bean jean," "heather feather," etc. were my childhood nicknames, and I loved them!

In my adult years "Heather Feather" kind of stuck, but my brother and SIL were blessed with a baby girl. She was named "Heather Haley" and since my SIL's first name is also Heather, there are now three of us in the family and I think we all love it!!!!

My nickname in college was "Attitude." Not sure how I feel about that!

My current nickname at work is something I don't care to repeat here...I am always being given nicknames. good ones but nevertheless, silly things. I love them despite the fact that they're usually derogatory.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jaysonsmom -- I get called by my last name too (it's a girl's name). My theory is that when I introduce myself and I use both names, people really only hear and/or focus on the last name for some reason.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1296562178|2839166 said:
Jaysonsmom -- I get called by my last name too (it's a girl's name). My theory is that when I introduce myself and I use both names, people really only hear and/or focus on the last name for some reason.

I understand that people focus on the last name during a verbal introduction, but the funny thing is that even on reponses to my e-mails! I guess I just look and sound like a "Kim". Maybe I'll change my name to Kim(berly) Kim. That way I won't care either way.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1296587226|2839582 said:
Zoe|1296562178|2839166 said:

I understand that people focus on the last name during a verbal introduction, but the funny thing is that even on reponses to my e-mails! I guess I just look and sound like a "Kim". Maybe I'll change my name to Kim(berly) Kim. That way I won't care either way.

Really? Huh, okay then. :bigsmile: That's pretty odd.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I know how too well how this can bother you and other people...

My name is quite long, so I end up with a bunch of funky nicknames such as : Ame, Ames, Aime, Amey, Ameth, Amet... When you are at the "Ameth" to type the "yste" is not that much of a stretch... lol. And when people try to spell the whole thing I get pretty creative spelling: Amestyte, Ametheste, Amytheste, Ameythysthe, Anastesia ( yup, it happens a lot! ), Ametheyst... I've seen it all lol. So either way, it seems for me that I cannot really win unless I educate people on how to write it. And to spronounce it, i've heard funny ways too!

I don't really like the abbreviation of names. I think in my case, people do it cause they simply do not know how to spell my name. As if the extra "E" at the end throws them off...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I just thought of a strange one that's happened to me more than once, usually during job interviews or something. I'll sign up for something with my first name and middle name, with the middle name in the correct spot on the form. I never use it but I figure there's a spot for it on the form, so I put it in.

More than one person has then called me Laura MiddleName, as if it's all one name (like Peggy Sue or something). Really people? I put it in the middle name section for a reason! It's not like it's a common double name (it's not Laura Lou) so I have no idea why people think it must be my full name.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I don't mind if people shorten my name. My name is Michele, so I get "Shell" a lot. What really irks me is when people continue to add an extra "L" to my name when they know damn well my name is spelled with ONE "L". :angryfire: This happens repeatedly in emails, where I have my signature that reads "Michele Lastname" and even on Facebook where people can clearly see the correct spelling! Why oh why do people do that????

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe-it's funny isn't it, using a screen name when you know their real name! Tho..some I still call by their screen name, ha!

I think I'd have a hard time working at my school and calling teachers I had by their first names. Maybe after a while I'd get used to it but boy it would be hard! I remember at a job I had a while back, I had to send the man who was Superintendent all thru my 13 years of school, a letter, and I addressed it "Mr. Superintendent" and the bosses wife chewed me out for not addressing it by his first/last name. Yeesh, sooooorry-I spent 13 years of my life calling him Mr., get over it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results