shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to New York City, any good places to check out CS?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So I am soon going to NYC, it is my first time in 5 years. '

I was wondering if there are any good places to check out some nice colored stones besides the big name places such as Tiffany's ect.

Thanks!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
There is a lovely tiny shop on Elizabeth street just north of Prince on the west side of the street. Very arty hand crafted orientation to it. cant remember it's name but you should have no trouble finding it at that location. Also real nice and interesting is a place called De Vera at 2 crosby street, right on the corner where crosby street begins at Howard street, one block north of Canal. If you go to those you'll be near soho and could go over to Reinstein Ross on Prince street between Greene and Wooster. 2 blocks over and one down on west broadway is the new location for Stuart Moore, and Im between those two so if you're walking down my street give a holler. Up in diamondland all the good stone places are upstairs and appointment only but you could try to go to Old World Diamonds, Serenity Diamonds to see the emeralds and say hi to joshua, you could even do reconnaissance at NSC.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1295404502|2826324 said:
There is a lovely tiny shop on Elizabeth street just north of Prince on the west side of the street. Very arty hand crafted orientation to it. cant remember it's name but you should have no trouble finding it at that location. Also real nice and interesting is a place called De Vera at 2 crosby street, right on the corner where crosby street begins at Howard street, one block north of Canal. If you go to those you'll be near soho and could go over to Reinstein Ross on Prince street between Greene and Wooster. 2 blocks over and one down on west broadway is the new location for Stuart Moore, and Im between those two so if you're walking down my street give a holler. Up in diamondland all the good stone places are upstairs and appointment only but you could try to go to Old World Diamonds, Serenity Diamonds to see the emeralds and say hi to joshua, you could even do reconnaissance at NSC.

Thanks, my husband lived in NYC for a few years. So I think I am going to print this message and he can figure out where everything is. Is it possible for you to hear me holler in that large city ;)) .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@VL: Where the heck do you grocery shop, VL? That area is devoid of the big, fluorescent-lit places that I love so much.

@LtFirecracker: I used these people in the diamond district for settings, in case you're looking for those:

http://www.idjewelryonline.com/eringitems.php?cPath=22_28&sort=2a&&noitems=21&page=2

They're mentioned by a few PSer's and they will give you a good deal (hang around, look undecided). They're in an arcade on 47th, and you'll be surprised that their whole business is just a little counter, but that's why they're less expensive. They had some smaller gemstones, nothing fancy, but some good heat-only rubies and sapphires for decent prices.

I've never been to NSC, so if you go, make sure and provide us a with full report. ;)) I'm afraid to go in there, I might come out with something! :shock:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been to NSC, went there to pick out my padparadscha in person. In my opinion it's worth taking the trip. They have a very beautiful collection, they take you to a room where you sit down with the sales person and they bring out inventory for you either in the form of loose stones or trays of jewelery. If you've ever had a curiosity about padparadscha, they probably have the largest collection of them that I've seen. I believe viewing is by appointment only though, but it's not intimidating, you just email them ahead of time to say you would like to look at some inventory in person, and give them a general idea of what you'd like to look at (specific stones on their online inventory if anything catches your eye). The sales woman I met with (Livia) was very polite, not at all pushy or trying to get me to buy on the spot.

Anyways, I think it was worth the trip, the eye candy was pretty impressive!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Doc!

When are you thinking of coming?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1295444630|2826558 said:
@VL: Where the heck do you grocery shop, VL? That area is devoid of the big, fluorescent-lit places that I love so much.

@LtFirecracker: I used these people in the diamond district for settings, in case you're looking for those:

http://www.idjewelryonline.com/eringitems.php?cPath=22_28&sort=2a&&noitems=21&page=2

They're mentioned by a few PSer's and they will give you a good deal (hang around, look undecided). They're in an arcade on 47th, and you'll be surprised that their whole business is just a little counter, but that's why they're less expensive. They had some smaller gemstones, nothing fancy, but some good heat-only rubies and sapphires for decent prices.

I've never been to NSC, so if you go, make sure and provide us a with full report. ;)) I'm afraid to go in there, I might come out with something! :shock:

Thanks, I am going to check that place out.

ETA: Me and you are the same, I am afraid I am going to come out with something from the NSC too!!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1295445823|2826578 said:
I've been to NSC, went there to pick out my padparadscha in person. In my opinion it's worth taking the trip. They have a very beautiful collection, they take you to a room where you sit down with the sales person and they bring out inventory for you either in the form of loose stones or trays of jewelery. If you've ever had a curiosity about padparadscha, they probably have the largest collection of them that I've seen. I believe viewing is by appointment only though, but it's not intimidating, you just email them ahead of time to say you would like to look at some inventory in person, and give them a general idea of what you'd like to look at (specific stones on their online inventory if anything catches your eye). The sales woman I met with (Livia) was very polite, not at all pushy or trying to get me to buy on the spot.

Anyways, I think it was worth the trip, the eye candy was pretty impressive!

I will have to think about that one. I don't want to buy anything. I remember going to Pala and walking out with a stone ;( .

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet|1295465261|2826815 said:
Hi Doc!

When are you thinking of coming?

Last weekend of Jan. We have tickets and a hotel. I am going to freeze!!!!

Are you in the city or in Miami? I would love to finally meet you. Maybe we can arrange a mini GTG?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been waiting to meet you too! I'm in Miami and would be happy to freeze along with you, but I'll be travelling. Raincheck?

Are you looking for loose stones? If so, not many dealers will be around that weekend as the Tucson show starts on Feb 1. If you're looking for eye-candy, Mc2 has a booth at Bergdorf Goodman's.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet|1295490330|2827244 said:
I've been waiting to meet you too! I'm in Miami and would be happy to freeze along with you, but I'll be travelling. Raincheck?

Are you looking for loose stones? If so, not many dealers will be around that weekend as the Tucson show starts on Feb 1. If you're looking for eye-candy, Mc2 has a booth at Bergdorf Goodman's.

That's too bad!!! But I understand why you would want to be in Miami this time of year. It is my husband's B-day weekend and it has been 10 years since he lived there, so he wants to go back for a visit.

Thanks for the info. We will look into going there.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, what I meant is that I'd be happy to meet you in NY, but can't as I'll be travelling elsewhere. :)

Hope your hubby has a wonderful weekend!

icekid

Ideal_Rock

Oh good, I was going to be mad if you two met up without me! Hehe, just kidding. Have a great trip, Ltl!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet|1295491615|2827274 said:
Oh no, what I meant is that I'd be happy to meet you in NY, but can't as I'll be travelling elsewhere. :)

I understood you. I referring to the vendor rec you gave me. Are you going to to Tucson? If so, have fun!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
icekid|1295499302|2827361 said:

Oh good, I was going to be mad if you two met up without me! Hehe, just kidding. Have a great trip, Ltl!

Hey, long time no talk. I am assuming you are very busy right now. Thanks. I am looking forward to going back to NYC for a few days, I can't believe it has been almost 5 years since I have been to the east coast!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
LtlFirecracker|1295524455|2827488 said:

I understood you. I referring to the vendor rec you gave me. Are you going to to Tucson? If so, have fun!

Gotcha. I'd hate for you to think that I don't want to meet you. Yes, I'm off to Tucson. Are you anywhere nearby? I have a few days' break between shows:

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet|1295553952|2827929 said:
LtlFirecracker|1295524455|2827488 said:

Gotcha. I'd hate for you to think that I don't want to meet you. Yes, I'm off to Tucson. Are you anywhere nearby? I have a few days' break between shows:

No, I live in Texas. If you go to Tucson next year, let me know. My husbands family lives in AZ and I could easily justify a trip there. We will keep trying ;-).

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a layover in DFW...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet|1295577608|2828341 said:
I have a layover in DFW...

Sigh....That is pretty far from me. Texas is such a big state, I have not even been to that area since moving here. I will have to find a way to reach you next time I come to your side of the country. For now, I will page you here I guess.

ETA: I don't at all think you are "not trying to meet me." I mean, if I plan a trip on my own, and ask if someone is going to be around, I operate under the assumption they have other plans unless they tell me otherwise. I live in a really small isolated town. But if you ever come to the Austin/San Antonio area will you let me know? Hopefully one of these days our schedules will line up.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deal! :)

I know -- let's go visit Icekid.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Harriet|1295615637|2828587 said:

Yes please! Come meet my little man, then we will give him to daddy and go find some trouble :bigsmile:

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! I'd love to meet him.

PS. Will you take us on a tour of your beloved city?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Haha, of course! There is a brunch place here in the one nice area that is famous for their captain crunch french toast :cheeky:

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
icekid|1295688357|2829538 said:
Harriet|1295615637|2828587 said:

Yes please! Come meet my little man, then we will give him to daddy and go find some trouble :bigsmile:

That sounds like a blast!!!!

Icekid, I have no idea where you are these days but I hope residency is treating you well.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Baltimore :knockout: 18 more months :appl: :appl:

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
icekid|1295847243|2831155 said:
Haha, of course! There is a brunch place here in the one nice area that is famous for their captain crunch french toast :cheeky:

Yummy.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
icekid|1295924651|2832161 said:

Hang in there, those 18 months will fly.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
icekid|1295924651|2832161 said:

Guess where my layover is :naughty:

I guess I will be passing though your neck of the woods after all!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet,

NYC was fun. Even in the cold. I bought some boots the night before and warm weather socks and boy am I glad I did. I stepped in a puddle and the water just beaded off my boots. We did some clothes shopping, met with some of my DH's friends and former co-workers, saw a Broadway show, and got some good Italian and French food that is hard for me to get here.

You were right about the shops closing down. DH made a lunch apt with his old boss in the financial district on Friday, and it ended up taking 3 hours. By the time we hailed a cab and got back to the diamond district, it was 4pm and all the shops were closing down. The only one I could find on the list that was given above was ID jewelry. They were closed and closed for the weekend. Lot of hustlers trying to get me to come into their shop. I ignored all of those guys.

My husband promised me we would come back soon. I am not sure what soon is being our schedules are so tight. But we both love NY so we will make it a priority (but next time I am hoping we pick a warmer month).

The only bad part is that he was sick during the whole trip, and now I am sitting at home with chills. I was sent home from work today. That was not in the plan :-o .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results