shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it better?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly, in a perfect world! Tho, I can't say no one should have one, b/c some use them for target practice and some use them for hunting.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1296171279|2835116 said:
rosetta|1296169425|2835088 said:
Gypsy|1296168582|2835066 said:
I'm going to answer the question honestly:

I don't think that if I am being attacked I would show good enough judgement to carry a gun. I'd either be too scared or too angry, or in shock. In any event, even if I managed to get the gun, I'm not confident enough in my other 'combat skills' (judgement, hand to hand... decision making), which are non-existent, to not have the gun turned on me by the attacker or to be outwitted. I am a good shot, at the firing range under optimal conditions when I am relaxed and doing it for fun against a piece of paper. But I think in any danger situation a gun in my hands would be a potential liability. It also creates a false sense of safety in my opinion. I don't have kids so that's not a concern for me, but I do have "me" and I don't want one in the house in I am here.

I couldn't agree more with gypsy.

Carry around a loaded gun everywhere? Are you kidding? How paranoid are you?
And it creates a completely false sense of security. I've not seen a single case of gunshot wound in the ER that was a result of a shot going where the shooter intended, in the case of so-called self-defence. They were all complete c*ck-ups.

Pretty presumptuous that a person has to be "paranoid" to be proactive about self defense.

Ditto tuckins. A responsible gun owner, CWP holder, person who is proactive about self defense, in my book = prepared, not paranoid.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1296174192|2835173 said:
HollyS|1296173194|2835148 said:
I live in Texas. Our gun laws do not frighten me, intimidate me, or cause me concern, even though I do not own or know how to use a firearm myself. I choose not to have a gun. I might change my mind in the future.

I believe in the Castle Law - - and if I had a gun, would not hesitate to shoot to kill anyone breaking into my home. Protecting myself or my family would be my only concern.

As for people offing themselves or others, they are mentally impaired. The guns didn't matter. People kill people.

Big fat ditto on the whole post, Holly! If someone wants to do harm, they will do so. What do they care of laws?

Another where I agree with Tuckins...bad guys don't care about the laws, they don't give a crap if guns are illegal, they're bad guys! They break laws!! Guns being illegal ONLY takes them out of the hands of responsible gun owners. ONLY.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1296182208|2835290 said:
please use some common sense...
if we had 100% gun control in this country do you think all the criminals will voluntarily turn in their guns?

I'm glad someone else gets it. :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm off the mind that if someone had taken the initiative to break into my house, assault me, or attack me in any sense, that if it comes between that person's life or my own, they just killed themselves.

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
packrat|1296267579|2836259 said:
Scares me more that the local drug dealer/gang member/criminal can have one in his pocket at the grocery store. I figure they're the ones that shouldn't have them.

But this makes the assumption that if "non-criminals" also carry guns than people will be safer. People who commit crimes are already choosing to act despite the risk of getting caught and punished or killed by police, I dont find it convincing to assume that having more people around with guns would be a deterrent to crime. And this also makes the assumption that the civilians carrying guns would do more good than harm, which I also find unconvincing because even if they have proper gun training they dont have the experience needed to assess a situation and make the best judgement calls. Frankly, too many people have sh!t for brains, it doesnt make me feel safer to think theres a bunch of them out there carrying concealed weapons. This whole philosophy is bordering on mutually assured destruction, it didnt make people feel much safer during the Cold War and it doesnt make me feel safer now.

And I hate when pro-gun people make the argument that more people would be pro-gun if they faced bodily harm. I was assaulted, and obviously it was terrible and I wanted to do whatever I could to make sure I never felt that helpless again. And I thought about a gun. But thinking about what happened I realized that unless the gun was more or less in my hand theres no way I would have been able to access it. If an armed person saw me reaching for my purse it might make them more likely to harm me because they see I'm reaching for a weapon. I felt that the chances of my own gun being used against me were higher than the odds that I would use a weapon to successfully fight off an attacker.

For the record, I support gun ownership rights. I just find the argument that more people carrying guns will make the world a safer place to be full of crap.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a friend in NYC who was robbed.
He didn't go out and buy a gun afterwards.

When asked, Why not?, he said because best weapon he could ever have is his mind.
Smart man.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think everyone should be carrying around a gun. I don't think anyone feels that way. Just b/c you take a course doesn't mean you should rush out and carry a gun just b/c you're legal to do it. I'm not saying I feel safer b/c Joe Niceguy down the street has one in the grocery store. I'm saying I would feel safer knowing that Joe Criminal didn't have one. The problem is, by virtue of his last name, Joe Criminal has the upper hand and can always get his hands on what he shouldn't have. I'm of the mind that I shouldn't *have* to worry about protecting my family from the possibility of something happening (in a perfect world) but..until we take the guns away from Joe Criminal, the possibility is always there. And even then, let's take away every gun on Earth, what's a criminal going to do? Use a knife or..I don't know, taser, sling shot, whatever..they're criminals. I can maybe then whip out my Kender Spoon of Turning and frighten them away or something I guess.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a depressed, emotionally unstable, impulsive daughter who has made two very serious suicide attempts. I lock up medications and knives, but have found out she always, actually, can find the key to the cabinet in which I lock them. So any further thinking about whether I'd want a gun is not even an option. I did feel more secure when we had our former dog, a giant Lab. He was a great watch dog, very alert. Not only did he bark at things he heard outside, he was alert about the house. Our Newfoundland is even bigger, but is seemingly unaware of his surroundings!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
A good friend of mine loves this type of question because of his real life experience at being in a position where he was the one without the gun. He used to work as a clerk in a 24hr convenience store, one night a guy walked in demanding the grand $200 something dollars from the register, and before they could say "boo" had drawn a gun on my friend and his co-worker. They handed over the money, and the robber proceeded to handcuff their hands behind their backs and walked them in a walk in freezer, with instructions that he didn't want to hurt them, but that he needed 15min before they could try and come out. They waited, freed themselves called the police etc...are here today to tell the story.

His take on it is, that had he been armed, the store been armed, etc...he feels he would have been tempted to at the very least reach for the gun behind the counter. Had he been successful in that, he still feels more likely than not, the robber would have shot them both. So, he is thankful that he did not have a gun.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I find this thread great, and very engaging and interesting discourse going on. Thanks PS.

My upbringing my dad had 2 hand guns (revolvers) in the house. He had a take out restaurant in a *really* bad neighborhood in Miami. His restaurant did get held up multiple times at gun point. The local beat cop did actually tell him, it's a good idea for him to carry a gun. But also told him that it's better to just give them the money if that's all their after. Better robbed than dead. One occasion though my dad has been SHOT AT, and he was armed and was able to defend himself. Not gonna lie, I'm glad he was armed.

Growing up we had the aforementioned guns in the house. They were not locked away, but we knew, "These are guns. They hurt people. Do NOT under any circumstances pick it up." Also we were told assume every gun is loaded. I never had any interest in playing with guns. When we got older, my folks bought a farm. We had rifles and the same revolvers. Rifles were for target practice and hunting. I have used both for target practice and poor attempts at hunting. I know how to shoot those gun, but general care and maintenance, not so much. So I don't really consider myself gun educated.

I think gun control is important and necessary. The city I live in used to have a ban on hand guns and it got repealed by the court. I'm glad it did. Yes, I believe it's my right that I (good citizen) can buy a gun. I just choose not to. Like other posters have said, the bad guys having guns is the problem. But we can't take it away from them. Is giving the good guy a gun too the answer. Not really. But if the good guy wants the gun for his protection because the bad guys have them, he should be allowed to have it.

To answer TGal's question, I'd rather not have a gun when I need it, than have my gun be the reason for a horrible accident.

To answer the CUSO's question, I'd rather have nothing bad happen to me and not use my gun.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results