shape
carat
color
clarity

I hate being in Canada.... Emerald Cut help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cynthia

Rough_Rock
I am so frustrated !!!! My story - I went to my local store to look at emeralds that they had brought in for me to see. All of which are horribly overpriced. I asked if there was any room to move on the price and the saleslady stated that only on the one that the Jewerler had in his possession - a .70, SI1, E for $5715 cad $. The stone looked good under the loup and the color was great.

So I asked about getting a detailed diamond report and the store said that 1) they don''t come with the diamonds, 2) Gemscan will not give info out over the phone, 3) They would have to charge me a cost to bring the certificate in.

So I stated that I, as a buyer, should have this info available to me. We discussed how no one knows anything about diamonds and how some people are totally content to get ripped off when paying lots of $ for a I clarity.

I called Gemscan and they said they can send the certificate to the store at a cost to me. They said it was $50.00. They told me the diamond number was not correct. Interestingly, the saleslady told me the table was 71.6% when she "called" for the specs. Impossible and obviously a lie.

I am so annoyed that I can''t seem to get the information to make an informed choice. The ONLY reason I am looking at this store is that I have a prior set that they will trade up (the full price) on a new set twice the value or more.

So, how do I protect myself at this store? Getting the detailed grading reports are going to cost... I''m sure if i am serious about a stone then the store might cover it. But guarding myself against the huge mark ups is what concerns me. Seems odd that this stone is so much.

What I know about this stone is that it is a .70 EC SI1, E, %5715 cad, 5.54x4.43, good cut and ratio is 1.25. ( I like them a bit square). It looked a bit too high from top to bottom but I don''t have the height mesaurement. I know that it was higher than the 1.5 ratio EC I looked at and I wasn''t sure if it was because it was more square or just too deep.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Cindy

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
Cindy,
I know you're in canada but how much do you have to pay to purchase a stone from the states? (as far as duty/taxes)?? If you are not getting the stone/service/information that you want - that might be a better option...

Or find another retailer nearby if possible -??

-Ariana

Cynthia

Rough_Rock
I think I recently read here that the mark up because of all the tax is 35% that on top of the exchange can mean more money. I do have access to a friend in the US where I can send the ring too.

The main reason for dealing with this store is the trade on the old ring. Maybe I'm hoping that I can make a good purchase and save some money on the trade. My belly tells me I'm only kidding myself.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
OK, so their price for an uncertified 0.70 E SI1 emerald cut is approx. $4565USD. Similar diamonds are going for about $2K USD. 0.71 E SI1 with EGL cert for $2K So basically they are going to take a valuable jewelry item from you and charge you twice what they should? They'd be making out like bandits! What was the supposed original price of this diamond before the trade-in, a million-trillion dollars?

You can get a better stone for that price and keep your original ring, all at the same time.

Cynthia

Rough_Rock
This is the price before the trade in and without the setting. I believe the setting will be around $600 or so. So that, with our tax, will be $7262.00 !

It seems so unfair how they just nail people around here. I looked on a Canadian site and a .71, VS2, F is selling for just over $3600 vs the $5700 for the one I saw today.

I can't imagine walking in and saying I'll give you X amount for this stone and having them take a loss of at least $1000.

My trade in value is $2000.

Cindy

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 10/8/2004 1:27:49 PM Cynthia wrote:

The main reason for dealing with this store is the trade on the old ring. Maybe I'm hoping that I can make a good purchase and save some money on the trade. My belly tells me I'm only kidding myself.----------------

Your belly is pretty much right. Shop for the new stone on it's own merits and award your business to a dealer that will treat you the way you disserve to be treated. It's almost always a losing deal to do the 'upgrades' that are offered by the stores. If you really don't have a use for the old stone, and you really don't have the stomach for the selling process, you might want to consider one of these programs but, as phoenixgirl has pointed out, you are likely to come out ahead if you just keep it and give it to the grandkids as a family heirloom.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Cynthia

Rough_Rock
another wedding set

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Cynthia,

As a fellow Canadian, I feel your pain. I was nervous about buying a diamond from the States, too. When I saw the prices, I got over that fear really quickly!

You should be looking at some of the reputable internet vendors for your purchase. If you prefer to buy from someone in Canada, there is USAcerted diamonds located in Thornhill (I think it's Thornhill, anyway), and they will give you a fair price.

Don't get ripped off! There's absolutely no need.

Daniela

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results