shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkler

Rough_Rock
Buying ring tomorrow and want to know if a LTW ratio of 1.08 or 1.02 is better for a princess cut. (I''m choosing between two diamonds)

Sorry for double posting, but Pricescope is awesome and Ineeded your opinion.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Well, a ratio of 1.02 means the stone will be square, the ratio of 1.08 means it will be more rectangular. Use the following link and the tool at the bottom of the page to see how each will look:

AGA

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that the ideal L/W ratio for a princess is no bigger than 1.05, so the 1.02 is the "preferred" ratio.

All in all, however, the L/W ratio is the last thing to worry about. What are the specs on the stones you're considering? The crown, pavilion, table, and depth are MUCH more critical!

Sparkler

Rough_Rock
The 2.02 ct princess is:

6.41*6.94*4.97 (LTW 1.08)
Depth 77.5
Table 76.0
crown angle 10 degrees
pavillion depth 62.5%

I am concerned about the girdle 5.5% is this too thick?

I'll post the specs for the 2.04 ct this afternoon (on my desk at work).

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Run away from that stone! It is WAY too deep, and has WAY too big of a table! It also has a thick girdle. This stone is going to look A LOT smaller than it's size and most likely won't be a great performer. You never want to have a stone with a depth higher than 75%, or a table greater than 74%. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but this stone is no better than average.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Although I prefer a slightly higher crown, this one looks good!

2.15 F SI2

Sparkler

Rough_Rock
I don't understand. The crown on the one I am thinking about is 10% and the link you sent me has a crown of 9.1%. Is a lower % on the crown better? Help, I'm ignorant when it comes to diamonds.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Your stone has a better crown, but the depth and table are horrible! Also, the ideal scope image of the stone I posted is not shabby--it does not leak a lot of light whereas the stone you posted might. There are a lot of variables that determine a stone's beauty, so sometimes you have to make a slight sacrifice to get one that's perfect. BUT, you should NEVER go for a stone with a depth over 75%!!!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
i'll interject w a few suggestions, as i've been known to do
2.gif
not sure what kinda clarity you're lookin for sparkler so i'll guess VS2/SI1...

2.09 G SI1 for $13364.

2.04 G SI1 for $13587.

2.03 G VS2 for $15802.

Mark could get you crown height if you asked
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Sparkler!
Just thought I'd check in to see how the diamond search is going, and to say that Alexah has suggested some great stones!

Sparkler

Rough_Rock
Going well. I don't feel comfortable buying online. I would much rather see it in person without having to deal with purchasing the stone with the possibility of disliking it and having to send it back and exchange. Is the discount from PS significant enough to deal with that?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Well, the stone I have was $8000 less than everything we saw at B&M stores around us. I was going to get a much smaller stone of much worse quality until I found PS and WF. They're even saving us around $1000 on the wedding band, and using higher quality stones!

ajaxthe3rd

Rough_Rock
I was hesitent to buy online also, but the folks at WhiteFlash were fantastic! Their prices were also much better than any B&M store I looked at!

reena

Ideal_Rock
you should do what you're comfortable with, but rest assured that if you buy from a trusted online vendor you'll be completely fine (and likely to save a lot of $$$ too).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results