shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on a sapphire - windowing?

flyingkumquat

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are currently in the process of designing a sapphire engagement ring. I've found a lot of great info on this forum, but I'll admit, I haven't seen many loose sapphires in real life. We ordered a sapphire from Tan at Odyssey Gems. While I like the colour, vividness, and clarity, I'm concerned about some windowing. I thought it was fairly obvious when I was examining it straight on in natural light (i.e. not just tilt windowing). Upon re-examination in fluorescent/incandescent light, however, I'm not really able to see it. Instead, I think the stone looks a little...dead? in the centre.

I'd really appreciate it if any PSers could tell me whether there's windowing in this stone. The video on the eBay listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/1-73ct-UNHEATED...Gemstones_1&hash=item4ce80a4ec3#ht_2131wt_861) is currently down, but I have a few of Tan's photo, as well as one of my own. Please, let me know what you think.

Thank you!

1916-t.jpg

1916-tt.jpg

5376664356_97a304436b.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some reason, Tan's videos aren't working for me right now. From the vendor photo and your photo, I do think the window is sufficiently small enough to close up in a setting. Pretty stone. Unfortunately, unless you get a recut sapphire, most of them are cut to less than perfect precision standards. If you did recut this one, you might lose saturation too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not working for me either. :((

The sapphire does have a small window (and you can see it in the photo on your hand as well in Tan's photos) but as TL has said, it is fairly small and therefore will probably close up in a setting and you won't notice it as much. The "deadness" you're seeing is probably because no colour is reflecting back to your eye. It's a very pretty sapphire though.

When you look for a setting look for one that has a reasonably closed basket (not close so that no light gets in but just more metal than nothing). Hope that makes sense?

flyingkumquat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinions so far! Sorry the video isn't working.

LovingDiamonds, I was planning on doing a semi-bezel setting with the stone set in an east-west direction. I think that would count as a more closed setting that you were suggesting, right?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flyingkumquat|1295653814|2829230 said:
Thanks for the opinions so far! Sorry the video isn't working.

LovingDiamonds, I was planning on doing a semi-bezel setting with the stone set in an east-west direction. I think that would count as a more closed setting that you were suggesting, right?

No I wasn't thinking bezel setting. A bezel or semi bezel will probably darken the stone - how would you feel if it looked darker? What I mean is the underside of the head needs to have some metal. For example I put the worst windowed stone in a setting that I had laying around and due to the light reflecting back off the underside of the head, the window appeared to close up. This is what I mean .....

Photo of the setting. Can you see how much metalwork there is that the stone will sit on? That's what I mean.

Photos of the stone ...... First photo is the Vendor's one! As you can see it bears no relation to what turned up! Middle photo is the stone that I received and then what it looked like in the setting.

Sapphire Bi colour Images FOR ps.jpg

Sapphire LOGR Setting_1_1.JPG

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
The color of your sapphire is really beautiful. Nice and light but well saturated. It looks fantastic on your hand with your pale skin. I don't think that the window will be a problem when set. I also don't think you should re-cut it. Just MHO, I think it's a real nice stone.

flyingkumquat

Rough_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1295654727|2829233 said:
No I wasn't thinking bezel setting. A bezel or semi bezel will probably darken the stone - how would you feel if it looked darker? What I mean is the underside of the head needs to have some metal. For example I put the worst windowed stone in a setting that I had laying around and due to the light reflecting back off the underside of the head, the window appeared to close up. This is what I mean .....

Photo of the setting. Can you see how much metalwork there is that the stone will sit on? That's what I mean.

I see what you mean now. I'm meeting with the jeweller who's designing my setting tomorrow, so I'll talk to her about that. Thanks for the example!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the video now, and upon looking at it, I really do think that the right setting will help "close up" that window. I have a chrysoberyl with a tiny window like that, and now that it's set, I can't see any window. I do like the high crown on your stone.

flyingkumquat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinions, everyone. Upon further inspection in daylight, the windowing wasn't too bad. I've chosen, however, to go with another stone sourced by my jeweller. She also had the sketches done up for my setting today which is just what I was looking for! The stone I chose was a little less violet, a little more oval (which was a better shape for the setting, overall), and had no windows that I could see. Of course, it was also pricier, but we've decided that's alright for an engagement stone. Luckily, I still have time to return the original stone to Tan.

The ring should be ready in about a month, so I'll be sure to post pics then. Thanks again!

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Very helpful illustrative post, LovingDiamonds.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I think you made the right call. An engagement ring stone should not have flaws that bother you...an occasional Right Hand Ring stone on the other hand, a stone like this one might be a good bargain for the color, even if not perfect in cut.

Laura

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you returning this sapphire then? I've always been curious as to what Tan's return procedures are like.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
ladyvengeance|1295986303|2832809 said:
Very helpful illustrative post, LovingDiamonds.

+1 :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results