shape
carat
color
clarity

Spess garnet in Rodney Rayner mushroom ring

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Few months ago, I posted about setting ideas for my 4.07 carats spess garnet in the thread below:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-mandarin-spess-garnet-please-comment.148391/

My original idea was to make use of some bright pink spinels that I have lying around, but I cannot come up with a suitable design. Last November, I attended a Rodney Rayner trunk show at Darren McClung with Beacon. Rodney has won many award for his color stone designs. I asked him if he does custom work and he said no, but if I can find a design that can be adapted to fit my stone, then he will consider it. I saw a very interesting 18K rose gold mushroom ring set with chocolate diamonds. It is quite fluid, organic and looks good from every angle. I asked him if he can set my spess in the ring. He set yes and I set OK. The design is a total departure from my usual style, but I wanted to do something completely different and fun with this stone. It was am impulsive decision and I dreaded that I made the wrong choice. Well, I picked up the ring today and Rodney did a great job. The spess is set in 18k yellow gold, but the rest of the ring is 18k rose gold set with 3.18 ct of natural chocolate color diamonds. Depending on your style, you may like it or hate it. I snapped a few pictures, but I cannot capture the pure orange color of the spess with the lighting I have at home at night.

mandarin garnet RR_10.jpg

mandarin garnet RR_3.jpg

mandarin garnet RR_2.jpg

mandarin garnet RR_1.jpg

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Other views:

mandarin garnet RR_7.jpg

mandarin garnet RR_6.jpg

mandarin garnet RR_5.jpg

mandarin garnet RR_4.jpg

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Two more:

mandarin garnet RR_8.jpg

mandarin garnet RR_9.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That's a stunning ring!!! I hope you enjoy wearing that, it will steal the show every time. This one I would love to see in person. :bigsmile:

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I like it, but hand shot please! It must be huge on your hand if the spess was 4 carats to start with! Wow, what a statement.

gemgaga

Rough_Rock
I am in the Love It group !

Orange and chocolate.... A perfect combination.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
It's unusual and I too would love to see some hand shots. It's gorgeous. :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN,
Your jewelry always takes my breath away. Here's a time I wish PS would allow for videos, because seeing all those diamonds in a static photos doesn't do this ring justice. I can just imagine the sparkle, and that beautiful spessartite in the middle, oh my!! :love:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I am also in the "love it" club! I absolutely love the swoopy, organic profile of that ring, and how well the chocolate and orange complement one another. Thanks so much for sharing!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with TL - I would love to see the glitter from the chocolate diamonds surrounding that pure orange. It is stunning and original. You did really well and should wear it proudly. That is the kind of ring that I would throw a cocktail party just for an excuse to wear it...

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
me likey!

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for you nice comments. This is a fun ring and so different from the rest of my jewelry. I have ugly hands and I don't like to post hand shots. But since you ask, here are a few. The last one is the original Rodney Rayner ring that inspired this one. The gold around the diamonds in the middle is oxidized to give it a more three dimensional look. In my ring, Rodney did not do that as it affects the color of the spess.

Rodney Rayner mushroom ring.jpg

RR ring hand_3.jpg

RR ring hand_2.jpg

RR ring hand_1.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN what a wonderful shank - the flower base is just a work of art isn't it? Like TL I wish we could see a video because I can only imagine how vibrant it must be.

Now you've got on a different route with this ring, do you think you'll be doing something similar again or was this a one off project?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the handshot AN even though you are not fond of them. I think its beautiful! What a great statement piece.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: Thats a great looking ring! Yummy!!

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Even I love it. The sculptural quality of the metalwork makes it for me. I could see this even without the cocoa pebbles, just the one stone sitting in a open cone/blossom form too. Now how about some pics that show the orange orange?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
AN, this is the COOLEST ring! I really like it. It was a daring move when you commissioned it and the risk paid off. It is so interesting and flowing and really nice. I feel like I want one too :)) Since I have seen your spess, I know that the photos are not capturing it's full beauty and I am very much looking forward to seeing that ring in real life. It's a true statement piece. Very, very nice - congrats!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boy is it beautiful! Absolutely fantastic, and sits very nice on your hand. Congratulations!

P.S. And your hands are beautiful. Initially I wanted to type "sits very nice on your slender, tapered finger", then typed "hand", then came back to the beginning of the thread, read your comment about your hand and thought, "my!"

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for modeling the ring for us. Great photos.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
What a fabulous statement ring. It looks gorgeous on you.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely!

cheers--Sharon

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your lovely comments.

Forgot to take profile hand shots, so here are a couple. The profile of this ring is really very interesteing. It makes it look more like a little piece of gem encrusted gold sculpture than a ring. It is a mini work of art.

Beacon: I have to thank you for this ring. Without you there to support my decision, I probably wouldn't have had the guts to take the risk on such an unusual design. I am glad it turned out well and I now have a Rodney Rayner original.

Lovingdiamonds: My jewelry style has evolved a lot over the years. Most of the jewelry I wear today are platinum with micropave, some new and some vintage. So this ring is completely different from the rest of my collection. I am not sure if this is a 'one of a kind' project, but it may be. Somehow the color of the stone makes me want to do something unusual with it.

Crasu: Thanks for the compliment on my hand. I do have long fingers, but unfortunately, I am getting some enlarged joints due to osteoarthritis. So I am kind of self conscious about my hands.

Miniousbijoux: Are you in the Bay Area? Hope you can join one of our NCal GTG, but we don't know how to contact you.

TL: You seem to be able to take good pictures of your spess garnets. What is the secret? Do I have to adjust white balance? I only have a point and shoot Canon. I usually just use macro with flash off. I just can't capture the orange color. It turns out looking more yellow.

RR ring hand_4.jpg

RR ring hand_5.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art Nouveau|1295837431|2831043 said:
TL: You seem to be able to take good pictures of your spess garnets. What is the secret? Do I have to adjust white balance? I only have a point and shoot Canon. I usually just use macro with flash off. I just can't capture the orange color. It turns out looking more yellow.

AN,
I don't have any secrets. My camera is just better at taking photos of orange. If I were to photograph a green stone, then forget about it. :knockout: However, do try adjusting the white balance, and seeing what happens.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
STUNNING! Definitely a statement piece *and* and heirloom! I love the design. Very, well, art noveau, actually!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The profile is amazing and the use of FCDs is a wonderful touch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results