shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick a Rhodolite Garnet

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Hi All

I've decided to purchase a Rhodolite Garnet (my first one) and I've narrowed it down to 4 options. I'm hoping that experienced PSers can help me pick one out (or tell me that they are all rubbish).

I have been inspired to aquire a red stone by AGBF's search (and I can't afford a beautiful red ruby or spinel at this point in time).

TIA

Option 1 - 2.15cts VVS

RG 1-1.jpg

RG 1-2.jpg

RG 1-3.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Option 2 - 2.75cts VVS

RG 2-1.jpg

RG 2-2.jpg

RG 2-3.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Option 3 - 1.97cts VVS

RG 3-1.jpg

RG 3-2.jpg

RG 3-3.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Option 4 - 1.97cts VVS

Thanks everyone!

RG 4-1.jpg

RG 4-2.jpg

RG 4-3.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like both the cut and the color of the second one, but I'm afraid it may be a little dark.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These all look to be from the same vendor; can he/she take a picture of all 4 stones together? The colour for the second garnet looks the most purple and saturated, and would be my pick, based on the current pictures. The background doesn’t seem to be flooded with light so hopefully it will not end up too dark IRL. The rest are either too orangish, too pink or too brown on my monitor.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
No. 2 would be my vote based purely on the photos. Can you get a group shot?

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1295445490|2826572 said:
These all look to be from the same vendor; can he/she take a picture of all 4 stones together? The colour for the second garnet looks the most purple and saturated, and would be my pick, based on the current pictures. The background doesn’t seem to be flooded with light so hopefully it will not end up too dark IRL. The rest are either too orangish, too pink or too brown on my monitor.

Ditto

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Too dark.
2. Lots of yummy purples tones that I personally like to see with a Rhodolite.
3. Has a half half look about it. I suspect this stone might be better than the photos suggest IF the lighting doesn't make it look too orange/brown. I have a Rhodolite that has this half/half and it has a constantly changing personality.
4. Too orange

I agree with all the others - a group shot is needed!

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
I asked the vendor to take a side by side picture and she said that she wasn't willing to do it because it would be way too time consuming for her :(sad

I've purchased a few of her cheaper gems (peridot, citrine and amethysts) from her which I expect to arrive next week. I should then be able to compare her photogpahy with the real life then.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a shame and it's not what you want to hear from a vendor. It's a good call to see how her photograph compares to the gems you're soon getting. Just wondering whether she has a good returns policy? If you like one of the Rhodolites it may be worth getting if you can easily return?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry that the vendor chose not to follow up on this prospective sale, especially in light that you made a few other purchases from her, proving that you are a serious buyer and not just looking around for fun.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
true, Chrono, but time is $ and some vendors do not have the extra time to meet special needs....or dare i say it, the talent. perhaps this vendor relies on a certain photographer or equipment and doesn't have unlimited access. who knows. but it is that vendor's business and that vendor's rules. the best we can do is vote with our $ and not support a vendor that doesn't meet our individual or group needs.

MoZo

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1295620987|2828647 said:
true, Chrono, but time is $ and some vendors do not have the extra time to meet special needs....or dare i say it, the talent. perhaps this vendor relies on a certain photographer or equipment and doesn't have unlimited access. who knows. but it is that vendor's business and that vendor's rules. the best we can do is vote with our $ and not support a vendor that doesn't meet our individual or group needs.

MoZo

Agreed!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
My preference would be 2, 3, 1, 4 with #2 being my top choice.

I like the one Kelpie posted too (although it seems like you are looking for an oval so that might not work).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the saturation and color of 2 (tho it shows purplish on my screen). Either that or 3 - the others look a bit dissipated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 reminds me of an umbalite (a purplish pink rhodolite from the umba valley in Tanzania, which is highly prized).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture style I recognize as I've purchased from this vendor before. She's very honest and forthcoming of what she can do. She's also a one person vendor so to that end, I can understand why it would be time consuming for her to do.

As far as the darker garnets, they will likely go darker than they are now after being set. If you don't want to go too dark go with the pinker variety. I purchased a super red garnet from her about a year ago along with another 5mm garnet that I set. The redder of the two did go pretty dark after the set which was disappointing. I unset that one and it just lives in my gem box.

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results