shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Grading Lab Survey

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
my replies in bold.

----------------
On 10/3/2004 11:37:21 AM Richard Sherwood wrote:

-----------

Who in the diamond industry stands on the consumers side?

It sure isnt the labs.......

-----------

The labs created order out of chaos. Before the advent of lab reports, there was no standardized system of quality analysis and documentation. This standardization, coupled with the creation of systematic and ordered publishing of market prices (such as Rapaport, Market Monitor & The Guide) empowered and benefited the consumer as never before.
I will give you that they helped but when they got too much in bed with consumers they were pulled back to the industries side. Lose grading methods started creaping in. Less strict on clarity and now uv lights in grading

The labs are ever vigilant in detecting and reporting methods of treatment & enhancement, both old and new. They are ever vigilant in documenting the quality of diamonds, without an eye to whether they are being paid by a dealer or a consumer. There have been many times where they have brought the attention of the world upon a new treatment whose existence is not in the best interest of the consumer.
Protect the trade monopolistic position and artificial prices against compitition. With a secondary goal of somewhat serving the consumer.

Dealers are dependent upon the consumer for their livelihood. It is in their best interest for the consumer to be satisfied regarding their service, quality control, honesty and integrity. Not only that, but a dealer's entire business is built upon having a reputation of trust so he or she can operate smoothly within the network of dealers and consumers who make the diamond world go 'round. Business in the thousands and millions of dollars is still often done upon a handshake. Of course there are 'bad apples', but because of the nature of the industry, such individuals are usually discovered and blacklisted quicker than you would see happen in the 'non-diamond business world'.
You havent met the majority of them that I have. Used car salesman are less slimy. Get out in the real world more often where no one knows who you are.

I daresay it would be hard to find a large group of professionals who operate at a higher overall level of integrity than that of diamond dealers and diamond grading laboratories.
Unfortunatly that does not extend down to the consumer level a lot of the time.

In my opinion, it would also be hard to find an industry that surpasses the diamond industry in the pursuit of consumer education, protection and safeguards.
protect the margins and the artificial prices at all costs.....

----------------

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
You havent met the majority of them that I have. Used car salesman
are less slimy.
-----------

Each industry has it's tiers of professionalism. From used car salesman to high end professional car dealer, from pawnshop jewelry dealer to high end professional gemstone dealer.

If you spend your time dealing with the bottom tier only, a warped view of the entire industry will be formed.

I've got 25 years in the business, and have met thousands of dealers, from guys selling rough out of the back of their pickup trucks to dealers who specialize in multi-million dollar gems.

Overall, I'm convinced you can't beat the diamond & gemstone industry for consumer education, ethics and professionalism. It's one of the few industries left where honor and reputation is valued more than wealth.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actualy Rich Iv got much better service at some of the pawnshop type places than at some of the high end stores.
Iv hit pretty much every one in my area from the maul type to the high end type to the pawnshops.
What rent district they are in doesnt mean much when it comes to judging service.
Iv found the guy that does a lot of the setting work and custom jobs for the higher end places and have him do mine and I supply the stones.
Im happy :}

JOEELI7

Rough_Rock
take any egl stone and send it to gia. there will be two color difference and the clarity at least one if not two

don't we fooled by the big discount given by a jeweler or internet or even ebay auction company. first find a good diamond, then negotiate the deal that you want. (it's like buying a car) negotiate!!!!!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Eli are you suggesting that the survey we have conducted is rigged?

I assume you have actually read it?
We found no examples of 2 grades of difference in any of the 16 stones graded by any of the labs.

I respectfully request that you maintain a more polite tone. You could rightfully be sued for these public comments that are recorded here in perpetuity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results