shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL CERTIFICATION, YOUR THOUGHTS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

caseyt

Rough_Rock
I have heard good and bad about an EGL certification. Your thoughts?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Get the EGL stone--or any stone for that matter--checked out by an independent appraiser.

I have an EGL stone that is dead-on with the cert and gorgeous to boot (see avatar) but there is truth to the fact that they can be softer on color & clarity, especially EGL Israel.

If you see an EGL stone you like, check it out, including the cut specs. If it passes, then you've likely got a really nice stone at a good price, as these stones can go for 5-10% less than others.

1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I agree. As long as you can get it checked out and a full refund (not just an exchange) then I have no prob with an EGL!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Consistent with past posts, EGL USA (especially NY and L.A.) is usually considered more reliable than EGL International grading so I would guess those reports are right on. As for the others, if you feel you'd be getting a good deal even if the color or clarity are off from GIA reports by 1 category, go for it! Otherwise, do as the other wise women have suggested and just have the stone independently appraised!

JC

Shiny_Rock
I must agree with the other posts. EGL-USA is more reliable. However, it really comes down to seeing the diamond for yourself. EGL is known to be off by one to sometimes two color grades. They have also been known to be off with regard to the clarity. Although, that's less frequent. You can definitely get a great diamond that has been EGL graded, but you have to be open to the fact that the exact grade of the diamond could be in question. We will always recommend GIA, but in the end it really comes down to customer preference. Good luck....

1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
There is simply no argument that GIA has the ultimate credibility in the diamond grading business- So, to me, the real question should be- Why does a diamond come with an EGL report instead of a GIA?
A number of reasons come to mind- EGL USA does a good job on smaller and less expensive stones
If it's a J/SI1, then a plausable reason might be the reputed lax grades EGL issues- and I can see the reasoning. After all, the difference ( in dollars) between a J/SI1, and a K SI1 is not all that great. Plus, the potential client for the J/SI is likely to be less picky than the D/VS client.
So in terms of price, the EGL J/SI1 will likely be close to a GIA J/SI1

But say someone's offering a D/VS1 with an EGL report.
Then I would be concerned. A diamond with an EGL grade of D/VS1 is worth a whole lot less than one with a GIA report- for a host of reasons. One of the reasons is EGL's reputation with dealers.
NO dealer is going to pay the price of a D without a GIA report. Theoretically, if a dimaond was graded identically by GIA, and EGL, they should be worth the same amount- but that simply is not the case.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should all read the survey of diamond grading labs - you can find it off the front page - or via the link pinned at the top.

We conducted this survey to stop the perpetual myths that have been discssed here and to indicate the different values the market places on diamonds with different certs.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Garry, can you please point out the inaccuracies in this thread?

I have read the survey with great interest. I also took note to qualify my answer by citing EGL Israel, which was not surveyed.

I ask this in the spirit of wanting to provide sound perspective and advice to other members, and therefore, to correct any misinformation I might have inadvertently given.
1.gif

JOEELI7

Rough_Rock
ask a jeweler to compare a gia stone of the same color and grading with an egl stone side by side. first you will see a color difference. then look with a jewelers loop you will also see the clarity difference.
buy a smaller diamond with a gia cert than a larger one with egl diamond.

gia is the best bet

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent survey!
It showed that the labs are pretty close when it comes to color clarity.
I do not feel that either EGL nor AGSL could be compared with GIA- they're simply not in the same league.
Although AGSL has standards which may be as high as GIA, they are not really seen as anything more than the lab which guarantees H&A type stones.
Therefore, it's quite rare to see AGSL reports for Fancy Shape or Fancy Color diamonds.
IT's true that AGSL graded stones usually bring higher prices than GIA stones- but this refers to only one type of diamond- AGS 0 cut grade stones. An AGS 1 is not really an item.

EGL is very useful to the consumer- but the fact they issue monetary valuations puts them in a different category than the clinical type of reports GIA issues.

It's not that GIA is stricter- but it could be argued they are more consistent.
Another interesting survey might be submitting the same stone 10 times to each lab and see how many times they contradict their own grade.

Bottom line- as the survey concluded- stones with GIA reports bring the highest prices and maintain value better- the exception being H&A AGS 0 Cut grade stones.

Once the GIA comes out with a cut grade, that might put AGS in a far weaker position

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jennifer I agree with everything you stated.

Josh has made some of the myth type statements that we found not evident in the survey results for EGL USA.

My own anecdotal experiance with EGL Israel raises questions.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re your comments David I do not feel that either EGL nor AGSL could be compared with GIA- they're simply not in the same league.>>>
Well EGL were slightly stricter than GIA on the clarity of the stones surveyed.

David wrote IT's true that AGSL graded stones usually bring higher prices than GIA stones- but this refers to only one type of diamond- AGS 0 cut grade stones. An AGS 1 is not really an item.>>>
This was not the case in the survey David.

David wrote Another interesting survey might be submitting the same stone 10 times to each lab and see how many times they contradict their own grade.>>It's not that GIA is stricter- but it could be argued they are more consistent.>>>>

There was one stone graded differently by GIA, although it may have been a border line call. My own experiance would not support GIA as being the most consistent, and I hear plenty of such anecdotal evidence (but it might be tall poppy syndrome).

David wrote >

That is not good for consumers if they never intend to sell - the same diamond costs more with a GIA than EGL report - even if the color was given a softer grade! [/b]

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Garry. I appreciate your time.
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Garry- My point is that is really does not matter if EGL was "stricter" in the survey. It's not a question of who can be tougher.
It's a question of who will people believe- especially diamond dealers, because dealers actions will drive prices.

As far as AGS non 0 cut grade stones: You may have used them in your survey, but no one uses them in the real world. My experience is that cutters who are trying for H&A ( AGS0) will simply throw the AGS report away if they get a 1- then sell using the GIA report which they likely had done too.

My experience in the American market is that there is simply no demand for AGS stones that don't make 0 on the cut grade.
And let me emphasize again that the percentage of the diamond market which this affects in miniscule- when we're talking about AGS, that does NOT include any Fancy Shapes or Fancy Colored diamonds- only H&A rounds. Their tiny market share makes them far less relvant than EGL.

I'll also agree with Josh- EGL can miss by two color grades. Remember, we deal in a lot of Natural Fancy Colors- a category not really touched upon in this conversation. In this category, we've seen EGL USA off by two grades MANY times.

Look- I'm not attempting to needlessly bash EGL- we have quite a few stones in stock with EGL paper- EGL serves a valuable pupose. But I do feel it's important for cosumers to understand why EGL does not have GIA's credibility- and IMO, they never will.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks David.
And I am not pushing EGL USA or aGS either - but consumers buying a diamond can save money if they buy a one grade higher colored EGL USA stone and rest assured that they will probably save money and have a hgiher quality diamond. That is an important point.
And AGS will pick up a lot more stones with their new cut grade system - and it will cover princess too before this time next year. So do not discount them
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results