shape
carat
color
clarity

planning a trip to Costco...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which camera should I buy? It is going to be an upgrade from Sony-cybershot 12.1 pixels, the budget is +/- 300. I want my gems to look well.

Any specific bulbs that one could recommend as sources of light?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For gem photography I strongly recommend a light box, light tent tingie.

Here's where I bought mine.
http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/ezlite.html

If you don't want to buy one you can make one with a strong box and white sheer fabric like a pillow case glued to the cut-out sides.

For lights I'd just go to home depot and buy those cheapo $8 clip lights with an aluminum reflective dome, with a standard light bulb socket.
Buy daylight-balanced CFL there for a couple bucks each also.
Our Home Depot have three "colors" of white.
I prefer the one which is least yellow and the base says the color temp is 5000K.

Position one light on each side of the box like in the pic above.
Experiment with exact positions to reduce glare on the gem.

If you want to take it to the next level of pure white environment you can make a panel that's all white with a hole in it for the lens to look through.
This panel would be placed on to the front of the box with velcro after you position the gems.

1z.jpeg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Panasonic Lumix has wonderful macro for a point and shoot.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I love my lumix point and shoot, it is the ZS5 (may be a newer model now, not sure, but got it at Costco). It does great macro shots. I struggle with the white balance, however. I think that is common with photographing stones.

Laura

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is cheers to you, Kenny! :appl: :appl: Your commitment is unrivaled - please hire yourself out to the cutters - most of them need you...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1295115767|2823558 said:
All I can say is cheers to you, Kenny! :appl: :appl: Your commitment is unrivaled - please hire yourself out to the cutters - most of them need you...

Thanks, but who are the cutters?

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
If you choose to make your own light box, make sure the inside of the box is white or you cover the entirety of the inside. If you don't, you will have reflections of whatever color the box is on the inside. Just a tip from personal experience :D

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys. I noticed that many people here on the PS mentioned Nikon. Any merit in it?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may want to look at this site: dpreview.com The test and rate 100's of digital cameras, and do a very nice job, well laid out clear website.

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
A DIY Lightbox will cost you maybe $10-15. If you're going to Costco, you might even be able to pick up a cardboard box that will be suitable. For little point and shoots, I've had pretty good experiences with Canons.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1295120052|2823607 said:
Thank you guys. I noticed that many people here on the PS mentioned Nikon. Any merit in it?

I have a Nikon Coolpix, 10MP (forget the model) and I'm disappointed in it. I think the newer models are better for macro mode though. Check Amazon.com for reveiws of cameras too.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I recommend trying different models out at the stores near you before you buy...and dpreview is a good site to read up. For macros, I've been happiest with my Panasonic cameras. I've tried nikon and canon. My first digital camera was a nikon that also had a fantastic macro on it...but it's been many years since then. Look for one that has the ability to stabilize the lens and reduce camera shake, that feature is very helpful and worth the money.

Laura

stci

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1295073903|2823324 said:
For gem photography I strongly recommend a light box, light tent tingie.

Here's where I bought mine.
http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/ezlite.html

If you don't want to buy one you can make one with a strong box and white sheer fabric like a pillow case glued to the cut-out sides.

For lights I'd just go to home depot and buy those cheapo $8 clip lights with an aluminum reflective dome, with a standard light bulb socket.
Buy daylight-balanced CFL there for a couple bucks each also.
Our Home Depot have three "colors" of white.
I prefer the one which is least yellow and the base says the color temp is 5000K.

Position one light on each side of the box like in the pic above.
Experiment with exact positions to reduce glare on the gem.

If you want to take it to the next level of pure white environment you can make a panel that's all white with a hole in it for the lens to look through.
This panel would be placed on to the front of the box with velcro after you position the gems.

Hoooo Kenny! Thank you for this great explanation! Just one thing, could you post a pic of the clip lights with an aluminum reflective dome you speak? I have difficulties to understand and figure how it can made ( you know my english is poor LOL). If you have time, I will appreciate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results