shape
carat
color
clarity

My house is creeping me out...

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have been reading this thread with interest but didn't chime in. I was firmly in the "do what you need to do in order to feel better" camp and you'd already gotten great advice, but I'm posting now simply to relate.

DH moved into our house this June and I have no doubt that some people likely did die in this house. It was built the same year the Revolutionary War was started, a time when it was commonplace to die in one's own home. I never believe in ghosts, so the history of he house didn't scare me.

The night we moved in was very odd. Our fire alarm went of in the middle of the night multiple times. Also, our flood light came on inexplicably and would not shut off until the following day. I chalked it up to something we did since we didn't know the house at all. Then something very odd happened a couple of months ago. Every night after bringing in the dogs in from their last potty break, I tell them goodnight and shut off all the lights except one wall sconce. I shut off the lights and was walking over the the sconce when suddently it came on all on its own. I was so freaked out I literally ran up the stairs to wake D. We both came downstairs and the light was off again. We flipped the switch several times and it worked normally, so I went back to bed.

I think this is much less weird than unbroken glasses being scattered throughout a room, but I definitely know the pull between your practical side (in my case it would be electrical issues) and that feeling you can't shake that it's something else. And I'm a cynic!

I hope this resolves itself soon, either on its own or through any other means!

ETA: I'm glad to see you back, Italia!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen|1294252103|2815031 said:
TravelingGal|1294162475|2814066 said:
Italiahaircolor|1294105135|2813677 said:
Irishgrrrl|1294101174|2813612 said:
Italia, I could buy the weather/earthquake explanation for the q-tip container. That seems very reasonable. But the thing with all your glassware being scattered (unbroken) around your house??? I don't think weather or an earthquake could make that happen! :-o

That was definitely my first "freak out" moment...it was just the weirdest thing. I had glasses on my kitchen table chairs, on the storage shelf beneath my table top, some were laying perpendicular to wall and others laying parallel. No rhyme, no reason to how they "fell" and ended up there. I just kept hearing this "tinkling" sound on the first floor...and that was what I found. Not a single one broken.

But, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is to blame to for the recent falling of the q-tip jar.

That happened in my house when I first moved in. I heard a huge thud and a glass was sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor, unbroken, right side up. It did freak me out, but it didn't ever happen again, so I figured it was luck that it fell unbroken somehow. Another time a glass did fall again and not break, but it didn't make it to the floor...just the counter.

Anyway, hope you can figure all this out!

Stemware?

tumbler, bottom heavy, which is why I didn't completely wig out.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1294262146|2815131 said:
Italia, I could buy the weather/earthquake explanation for the q-tip container. That seems very reasonable. But the thing with all your glassware being scattered (unbroken) around your house??? I don't think weather or an earthquake could make that happen! :-o

That was definitely my first "freak out" moment...it was just the weirdest thing. I had glasses on my kitchen table chairs, on the storage shelf beneath my table top, some were laying perpendicular to wall and others laying parallel. No rhyme, no reason to how they "fell" and ended up there. I just kept hearing this "tinkling" sound on the first floor...and that was what I found. Not a single one broken.

But, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is to blame to for the recent falling of the q-tip jar.

That happened in my house when I first moved in. I heard a huge thud and a glass was sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor, unbroken, right side up. It did freak me out, but it didn't ever happen again, so I figured it was luck that it fell unbroken somehow. Another time a glass did fall again and not break, but it didn't make it to the floor...just the counter.

Stemware?

Tumblers are pretty heavy duty. I've never had one move on its own, but have dropped a few and never has one broken. In fact, once just bounced across the floor!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1294254590|2815064 said:
I have been reading this thread with interest but didn't chime in. I was firmly in the "do what you need to do in order to feel better" camp and you'd already gotten great advice, but I'm posting now simply to relate.

DH moved into our house this June and I have no doubt that some people likely did die in this house. It was built the same year the Revolutionary War was started, a time when it was commonplace to die in one's own home. I never believe in ghosts, so the history of he house didn't scare me.

The night we moved in was very odd. Our fire alarm went of in the middle of the night multiple times. Also, our flood light came on inexplicably and would not shut off until the following day. I chalked it up to something we did since we didn't know the house at all. Then something very odd happened a couple of months ago. Every night after bringing in the dogs in from their last potty break, I tell them goodnight and shut off all the lights except one wall sconce. I shut off the lights and was walking over the the sconce when suddently it came on all on its own. I was so freaked out I literally ran up the stairs to wake D. We both came downstairs and the light was off again. We flipped the switch several times and it worked normally, so I went back to bed.

I think this is much less weird than unbroken glasses being scattered throughout a room, but I definitely know the pull between your practical side (in my case it would be electrical issues) and that feeling you can't shake that it's something else. And I'm a cynic!

I hope this resolves itself soon, either on its own or through any other means!

ETA: I'm glad to see you back, Italia!

Thank you for the relatable story. You're right, it's like a tug of war. I hope your house is behaving itself.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1294263414|2815145 said:
TravelingGal|1294262146|2815131 said:

Stemware?

Tumblers are pretty heavy duty. I've never had one move on its own, but have dropped a few and never has one broken. In fact, once just bounced across the floor!

Yeah, it's not a tumbler exactly, but you know the kind of glass that is extra heavy on the bottom? If it landed on its bottom, it would have had a good chance of surviving, but if it got hit anywhere else, it would break for sure. However, the way my dish rack is, it would have most likely had to hit the counter first. It was fell about a 2 feet away from the counter. Still, I just chalk it up to a full dish rack and that it popped out.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, just to lighten up the scary thoughts:

Why don't you tell the ghost if he wants to stick around he'll have to pitch in and do his share of the cleaning and leave a mop out and dust rag for him. Now if it's a man ghost I am sure he will leave immediately...if it's a woman ,tell her she has to do the laundry and dishes...that will get her to leave for sure...lol. :D

Okay but seriously, I mean at least they are sort of nice ghosts. Broken glass and scaring the dog is certainly unsettling but I can think of tons worse. Actually I am glad you are Catholic because as far as I know if the ghost gets nasty they are the only church that does a true excorsism...not that it will come to that, but you know....I wonder if you can get one of those psychic mediums to help the ghost cross over like they show on TV. I am serious here.....

I wonder if the previous owners of the house had problems too? Or did it start with the refrigerator? I have to re-read the posts and see--anyone I know you said you got rid of the refrigerator, but what exactly did you do with it? I might have to re-read that part too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results