shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for a French inspired wedding?

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
The restuarant we are planning on having our ceremony/reception at is an upscale French restaurant. I guess it would be easiet to use the venue as inspiration for picking a "theme". We won't need to decorate much as the restaurant really speaks for itself. After the meal I was thinking that either a croquembouche or macaron tree would be a great alternate to wedding cake and would fit in with the French restuarant. Another PSer suggested maybe hiring an accordian player to play "French Riviera" type music.

Where else could I inject French touches into the wedding? And when you think of a French themed wedding what do you think of? I guess I picture the French Riviera/south of France but I've never been there so....

I've already picked a dress (its a champagne, knee length, strapless cocktail dress that's actually a BM dress but it's way more "me" that a white gown), we won't be having a wedding party, menu cards and table numbers are provided by the venue, we aren't planning on giving out favours. How can I go "French" in the way of groom's attire, invites, centerpieces (I think I'd like something very simple and white to play on the restaurant's white-ness), guestbook, other little touches?

Thanks!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
A croquembouche would be lovely and unique and I think your dress will fit in perfectly! The champagne color would be great to tie into your decor and details.

I know you said menu cards and table numbers are provided by the venue, but if you can do your own, I think that would be an easy way to add some personal touches at the venue. Tables could be marked with either numbers in French or French landmarks. Menus could use a French script or a background image of something French. Fleur de lis could be a good accent.

Somthing like this is really pretty and elegant and could be customized to fit your wedding: 4264243757_f860bf2212.jpg

Actually, that would be good inspiration for invitations, in my opinion.

I wouldn't take the theme too far, though. I generally think a little hint of a theme goes a long way. :))

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1293828713|2811133 said:
A croquembouche would be lovely and unique and I think your dress will fit in perfectly! The champagne color would be great to tie into your decor and details.

I know you said menu cards and table numbers are provided by the venue, but if you can do your own, I think that would be an easy way to add some personal touches at the venue. Tables could be marked with either numbers in French or French landmarks. Menus could use a French script or a background image of something French. Fleur de lis could be a good accent.

Somthing like this is really pretty and elegant and could be customized to fit your wedding: 4264243757_f860bf2212.jpg

Actually, that would be good inspiration for invitations, in my opinion.

I wouldn't take the theme too far, though. I generally think a little hint of a theme goes a long way.
:))

Ditto everything from SB. I would definitely put your touches on things people are receiving up to the wedding, not necessarily hitting them with it at the wedding itself. Save the dates (antique reproductions of French post cards, perhaps?)...using "amore" as part of a logo/invitation design...the fluer de lis...and definitely the croquembouche. I think between that and the French decor of the restaurant and the food itself, you'll be covered!

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
We did a kind of French sidewalk cafe theme for our wedding, so a bit different from your more upscale French feel, but one suggestion I can pass along is to use lavender in various ways- in the groom's boutonniere, in centerpieces (or in separate small vases that are scattered all over the reception venue, as we did), maybe put a sprig at everyone's place setting, etc... It smells divine and evokes the feeling of French lavender fields. We also played old French music during dinnertime, but the idea of a live accordion is even better!
I also like the idea the poster above mentioned about using some vintage postcards of sites in Paris. If not used for invites/save the dates, perhaps you could employ them somehow at your reception (i.e. have guests write their well wishes on postcards rather than in a guestbook).

Good luck coming up with fun French decor ideas!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I think of Paris style for a wedding, I think of black as an accent color. I think of striped awnings. I think of pink and white or pink and black (although that may be passe?). I think of walking or taking public transport rather than driving. I think art deco or art nouveau. I think of quality over quantity in all things, but especially food; and elegance over fussiness in all things, but especially fashion.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Our wedding had a sort of French Countryside theme to it. Our colors were champagne and lavender, so we accented those where possible. Our centerpieces were bottles of champagne and tiny tea lights that were set on rounded rustic mirrors, which in turn were surrounded by lots of Lavender (plastic, but yo, they saved us a lot of $).

I don't have a photo of our centerpieces, but it was very similar to the posted image that I found using Google.

We also kept the lighting dimmed very low to keep the romantic "French restaurant" vibe going.

bottle.jpg

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I see it a bit differently...

I think you could do a beautifully quant French countryside inspired wedding using a soft shade of cream coupled with splashes of a pale icy blue. I imagine pops of pink in the flowers, soft and wispy (like a peony) for a garden vibe.

Similar to above suggestion, using the antiqued postcards for invites, and other touches. Tea dyed papers and faded print would be romantic and right on point with current trends.

If you have access to any local antique stores or flea markets you could scoop up a variety of old china for chargers on the table. You could also use mason jars with ties of burlap and you accent color for center pieces.

If you change your mind about favors, I would try to find a local winery who carries a french wine...ask them to create a custom label for you, styled in the romance of France of course.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine used champagne bottles as small touches that were next to the sign in book, at the bar for decoration. It was very neat and added to the French theme.
Honestly I would look at pictures from Franch and see if anything inspires you. Then work from there. I wish I had more to add but i just want to say that I LOVE the theme.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
So we finally got to see the venue this past weekend and really love it. We are gonna book there.

Basically the restaurant is built around 2 1860s woodcutter's cottages. The interior is very white washed. There are a few walls of wine bottles as they boast a huuuuge wine selection. There are a few fireplaces inside, which for a summer wedding, don't mean much but they add to the quaintness of it all. The linens are white, dishes are all white, cutlery is silver and they have toile print chairs Outside, they have a small terrace that we could have the ceremony on.

Thanks for all the advice. Now that we actually saw the place we can have a huge brainstorming session on how to decorate and what small touches we can inject. Luckily, the venue as is really speaks for itself and we won't have to add much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results