shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany & Co. 18k white gold engagement rings?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
A friend asked me this today and I thought I'd ask PS, b/c I didn't know the answer. Why doesn't Tiffany's sell 18k white gold engagement rings? Have they ever?

Thanks! :wavey:

I have wondered that too. I always figured they didn't want to have to deal with brides and rhodium plating? :D

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Platinum was made "popular" more than a century ago by a very famous French jeweller (Cartier) and promoted as a symbol for "Eternity"since it contains more gold (95%) than white gold...and so it became the perfect "partner" for a diamond.

A luxury brand like Tiffany won't want it's name associated with non platinum engagement rings as it would not suit their "luxury" image. They may sell other kind of rings made of white gold but e-rings are special, we all know that... :twirl:

ked123

Rough_Rock
I have never seen this in their engagement rings. They a few bands in their metro line which could be considered as wedding bands. I was considering this one:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP03610&mcat=&cid=&search_params=s+1-p+1-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+metro&search=1

It looks nicer in person than on the website. This was not displayed at Tiffany (I had to ask to see it and they pulled it out of a drawer). And the SA went on and on about how I should consider platinum instead. In the end, I did, just because my ring and other bands are platinum.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably all of the above, plus, they have such a premium on their engagement rings that they can use the most expensive metal.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Frenchcut|1293704325|2809702 said:
Platinum was made "popular" more than a century ago by a very famous French jeweller (Cartier) and promoted as a symbol for "Eternity"since it contains more gold (95%) than white gold...and so it became the perfect "partner" for a diamond.

How can this be? Platinum is platinum and not gold at all?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Other than the part about platinum containing gold, I agree with every post.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
perhaps the poster meant to say that plat is more pure (95%) than 18k white gold (75%)?

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that's exactly what I meant !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results