shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Monitors - reviews please!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I looked because I could have sworn we already had a thread about this, but I hate the PS search - epic fail.

Anyway, I am researching baby monitors because we will be moving in April, and because we are going to do CIO over my Christmas break in a week or so. (Arg, dreading it.) I want a video monitor so I can actually see what's going on in that crib, as opposed to just worrying that he's crying for a "real" reason. I'm pretty sure he's just flailing about, but there's no way to see with just an audio one, so I require video.

I also looked into webcam monitoring, which might be an option when we get a laptop, but isn't at the moment. If you've gone that route, though, I would love to hear about it for later.

What do you think of this one? Bad reviews are low, good reviews are positively glowing.
http://www.amazon.com/Levana-BABYVIEW20-Interference-Free-Digital-Wireless/dp/B001FB567U/ref=sr_1_65?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1292525054&sr=1-65

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
When CIO, I think the best move is NOT to watch and in fact to get as far away as possible and maybe wear ear plugs ;)) Anf eat pizza or ice cream. You will only torture yourself watching him and you cannot go in anyways. He will not hurt himself.

But a video monitor is still a really good tool for after he is sleeping all night for those occassional wake ups for sure.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was happy with both my angel care monitor and summer video monitor.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you shouldn't watch while CIO - maybe peek every now and then? Anywho, we have the Summer Infant Video Monitor and we love it. Reviews on it seem to be mixed though. The only time we don't get a signal is when the microwave is on.

BRU often runs deals on monitors so check their add. We got the $199 one and got $30 in BRU gift card and 15% off.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I plan on wearing headphones turned up loud for this! But not being able to see him would probably make me feel worse...DH, too. I can already see him going to "rescue" the baby because it "sounds like he's hurt or stuck." Oh yeah.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have the Angelcare monitor and we love it. I suppose it's a little overkill at this point with Micah being past the are of SIDS risk. We also have this baby monitor which we got for our shower and we use it in the living room when Aidan is napping in the PNP and we're upstairs doing laundry or whatever...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=the+first+years+baby+monitor&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12384957130967482067&ei=nmwKTc-mHYP_8AaKsJmfAQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCgQ8wIwAQ#

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
summers infant handheld. We love it. We also keep it plugged in all the time, so the battery isn't an issue.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I always hear great reviews about the Summer brand video monitors, so I'm sure you cannot go wrong with those! That's what I would get...

I knew I would be totally OCD if I had a video monitor (staring at it all the time) so I decided to just go the audio route when I had my DS. Sometimes I wish I had the video monitor on occasion though. Maybe for baby #2 I'll be less OCD and will get one!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I put this on FB, but we just bought a "spy" camera for Kyle. It's a tiny camera that can be battery powered or plug into the wall, and wireless transmition to a receiver box you hook up to the TV. The audio on it sucks, but I can hear him through the door just fine. It does OK at night, and really well during the day. It's also nice to see the picture on our giant big screen instead of a tiny monitor. I can "peak" at him by hitting a button on the TV remote, then turn back to whatever I was watching on TV. For $20 versus the $200 baby monitors, it's worth it.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
MustangGal|1292534419|2798874 said:
I put this on FB, but we just bought a "spy" camera for Kyle. It's a tiny camera that can be battery powered or plug into the wall, and wireless transmition to a receiver box you hook up to the TV. The audio on it sucks, but I can hear him through the door just fine. It does OK at night, and really well during the day. It's also nice to see the picture on our giant big screen instead of a tiny monitor. I can "peak" at him by hitting a button on the TV remote, then turn back to whatever I was watching on TV. For $20 versus the $200 baby monitors, it's worth it.

I loooooove this. I am wondering if I can hook up a webcam to do it, since we have one. Research!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I looked at webcams also, the one I really wanted was $100, and with him already a toddler I just couldn't justify it. The one I liked would hook up to the wireless internet in the house, and you could log onto it on any computer. It was password protected and all, so seemed much more private than some of the video monitors. I think it even let you zoom/move the focus some...

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Mustang, that is a fantastic idea.

Personally, our house is so small I can hear him rustling around no problem so haven't thought to need a monitor. But a spy camera I can get behind...and DH will love hooking that up. Wonder if we could put it in a stuffed bear or something...

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
We have summer infant video monitor that we got on Amazon it worked fine and then one day the audio went. Summer Infant replaced it with a brand new unit. We get some static once in a while but over all we like it.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
MustangGal|1292538433|2798940 said:
I looked at webcams also, the one I really wanted was $100, and with him already a toddler I just couldn't justify it. The one I liked would hook up to the wireless internet in the house, and you could log onto it on any computer. It was password protected and all, so seemed much more private than some of the video monitors. I think it even let you zoom/move the focus some...

Do you happen to remember which one it was?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
whatever you get, make sure it has night vision option as well, so it will prob need to have some light in the room. otherwise it will not pick up much.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
swimmer|1292613512|2799699 said:
Mustang, that is a fantastic idea.

Personally, our house is so small I can hear him rustling around no problem so haven't thought to need a monitor. But a spy camera I can get behind...and DH will love hooking that up. Wonder if we could put it in a stuffed bear or something...

There's probably nannycams made in bears like that...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1293647775|2809025 said:
Baby monitor on sale for $99 at Kid's Woot today!

http://kids.woot.com/

I wanted this one SO BAD. Gah. Why must it be our poor week? :tongue:

CIO was an epic fail, ladies. I wasn't able to get the cam in time, anyway, but Micah is SO CIO resistant except for when he first falls asleep for the night. After that I may as well just get him. This kid will cry until he is hoarse, covered in snot and tears, and poopy. And I just feel like crap. Fail.

I guess I will be waking up with him at night when he's 10 :rolleyes:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MP, so sorry to hear it. You're totally not the only one. My brother and SIL are in the same boat. My nephew will ravage his crib (he's about to be 1) - he pulls off the bumpers, chucks out his woobie and paci and screams until he's hoarse. Worse yet, they live in an apartment so their neighbors have about had it.

Otherwise, like Micah, he's a happy and healthy kiddo. Don't sweat it - I've never met any 10 year olds that wake up every night. :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results