shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Sewing Patterns and Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Who here sews or makes clothing for a hobby or profession?

I''m looking to get into it as a hobby (at first) and want to find GOOD patterns and help buying my first sewing machine.

On first inspection, a lot of the hits online are kind of hoky-grandma type stuff. I want to find some practice patterns that are contemporary and fashionable. I figure skirts will be the easiest to start with.

Also recommendations on how to take accurant measurements (on my FW to start with of course!) would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VH, I am a self-taught hobby sewer. I like fashion sewing best but will also do home dec, which I find tedious and boring, since you can save so much money sewing your own window treatments.

First and foremost, get a decent sewing machine. A common mistake is for a would-be hobbyist to buy a $99 Wal-Mart special. The thinking is that it's better to start with something cheap in case the new hobby doesn't pan out; then you won't have wasted much money. The problem is, if you get a crappy machine, you will be frustrated most of the time and will probably give up -- all the while thinking htat it's you and not the machine.

Be prepared for the cost of a good machine to be more than you thought it would. When I bought my machine in 1996 (a Bernina 1090s as shown on my avatar), I thought that a top-of-the-line machine would cost at most $500. Imagine my shock when the most basic model at the Bernina shop was $599! (Mine cost $1500.) And that is why I mentioned home dec: all you have to do to make the machine pay for itself is make a few simple window treatments. Ever price out custom window treatments?

The best place to buy a "decent machine" is from a sewing machine dealer. You will get lessons and support. At the very minimum, you want your machine to have basic utility stitches (straight, stretch & overlock) and a good buttonhole function. One feature that is a must-have for me is the "automatic needle up/down" function. This allows the user to choose whether the machine will stop with the needle sunk into the fabric (down) or fully lifted (up) when you take your foot off the pedal. This makes for very precise stitching because the needle stops where you want it to stop.

The best way to choose a machine is to have a dealer explain the different features to you and then to be left alone to test-drive the machines. Bring different types of fabric with you so that you can see how the machine reacts. Most machines will do very well with a stiff piece of muslin but a good machine will be able to handle slippery fabrics like silks and velvets as well. Here's a couple of places to read sewing machine reviews and ask questions:

Sewing World

Pattern Review sewing machine reviews

As for patterns, personally I like Burda because they fit me best and are fashion forward. The English version of the catalog is not online (as far as I can tell) but you can see the German version at Burda Catalog. You can buy these patterns at Jo-Ann's fabrics and they are usually 50% off. Good for beginners are their Start & Easy patterns.

Also check out:

http://www.voguepatterns.com and http://www.kwiksew.com/.

These are definitely not "grandma-hokey"
2.gif

PM me if you want more links...

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! Those are GREAT suggestions! I can't wait to get started!

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hey VH,

I absolutely second what Maria said about starting with a good machine. I bought a used machine first, had many problems with it, bought a Singer with drop in cams, oh, please, it was awful to deal with, I sold it as fast as I could. Then I decided, you know, if you had spent that amount of money first instead of cheaping out, you could have had a good machine, chalked it up to experience and got the Baby Lock Decorator's Choice. I love it, and if your machine is a pleasure to use, you will use it. The Baby Lock DC cost about $700 or so when I bought it a year ago, I don't know what they run now. Here is a good link to it. It is computerised, has many stitches, and you can even use it without the foot pedal, it has a start/ stop key, the extra feet are contained in the unit and the spool of thread lies horizontally and is also contained in the machine, if you look at the picture you will see what I mean. Oh and it threads the needle with a push of a button, and cuts the thread for you : )

http://www.babylock.com/sewing-embroidery/product.asp?Product_ID=BLDC

The shop I bought it from also offered unlimited free sewing lessons with the purchase to teach me how to use the machine. See if you can find that kind of store around you, despite what kind of machine you get.

I wish you well,

Bridget

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea of buying from a place that sells and services the machines. Didn't know stores like that existed anymore. Every once and awhile you still see a vacuum store!

Would it make sense though for a novice to buy a computerized machine versus a well made standard machine (I suppose it's called)? I want it to be as versatile as possible, without too much 'stuff' in it... or to have too much stuff to go wrong or break.

Has anyone heard of a company called Janome. Some people have recommended these (available at Sears). I had always thought Singers were the best. It's what my Gram used. Of course those were the old cast iron ones!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
>>Every once and awhile you still see a vacuum store!
I've always wondered why there are "Sew & Vac" stores. What do sewing and vacuuming have to do with each other? The machines aren't even manufactured by the same companies! Anyway...

>>Would it make sense though for a novice to buy a computerized machine versus a well made standard machine
Yes! Computerized machines have more of the versatile features that make sewing fun. Things like the needle up/down feature, variety of buttonhole styles, more stitches, variable needle position. I'm not even sure there *are* many mechanical machines in the current line-ups of the quality manufacturers (Babylock, Bernina, Elna, Janome, Pfaff, Viking, etc.).

>>Has anyone heard of a company called Janome. Some people have recommended these (available at Sears).
Janome is a quality mfr. with some nice machines and the Sears Kenmore is supposed to be made by Janome (I say "supposed" because that is what I heard a few years ago -- don't know if that's changed.) I would recommend buying from a dealer if possible because Sears isn't going to have the support you might need, like lessons and service. However, if you have no s.m. dealers near you then by all means check out the Kenmores.

>>I had always thought Singers were the best. It's what my Gram used. Of course those were the old cast iron ones!
Your Gram's cast iron Singer was the best! Singer machines *sold by authorized Singer dealers* are still good machines even though they are no longer cast iron.. After years of going downhill, Singers have made a comeback in quality. However, the Singers (& Brothers) you see in discount dept stores (Walmart) are NOT the same as the models that auth. dealers sell. They are cheap machines that are licensed to use the name but do not have the same quality.

to bstraszheim:
Nice machine! I notice it has the knee-operated presser foot lifter. It used to be that only Berninas had this but I think the patent ended. Do you use this feature? This was the one thing that made me choose Bernina -- the knee-lift!

Maria

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I discovered a Sew & Vac store pretty close to me that I plan on checking out! That is kind of a funny combo. I can only guess is that sewing and vacuuming are traditionally (and stereotypically) common to womens' work.

Why don't they sell washers and dryers while their at it!
1.gif
Just kidding girls... after all I'm a guy looking to get into sewing. What does that say. Should my FW be worried?
2.gif

I guess the macho thing to say is that by making womens' clothing, I (will hopefully) get to nuzzle up to some women! :D

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VH, I'm cracking up this morning reading this!
twirl.gif
I did not realize you were a guy. Now that I re-read your first post it's so *obvious*: what was I thinking???? Yes, "groom"zilla should have tipped me off if nothing else did, LOL.

OK, since you are a man and you post at a diamond website (which to me means you are into quality), never mind all the other advice and just do this: go spend big bucks and get the best machine out there. That's what real men are supposed to do when they start a new hobby! Go buy the best that you can afford and enjoy it. It's women (for the most part) who are always trying to justify the cost of their toys.

I think it's great that you want to make clothing for your FW. Do yourself a favor and take her measurements in centimeters (unless you live in a country where that's the standard, then use inches) so that there's no arguing about the actual size of her hips. When we take our own measurements, there's a tendency to pull the tape too tight so that it says what we want it to say. Realize that pattern sizing is not the same as ready-to-wear sizing. It's bigger. A size 12 RTW could be a size 16 pattern. So, in short, choose the pattern size based on actual measurements, not RTW size.

A skirt is an excellent item to start with. Once you get to that point you really should sign up at a site like sewingworld.com if you need to ask actual sewing questions. There are a wealth of experienced sewists (they don't like to be called sewers) there who are so generous with sharing their knowledge. When someone new who is a non-traditional sewer (not just men, but teenagers) starts asking questions, they love to nurture his interest!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... that's great advice. I'm glad you had a laugh. I live to entertain, or at least be entertaining!

Sewing seems like a good hobby for me b/c it's hands on. Future interests include furniture making and re-apholstery (but one thing at a time). Unfortunately, men's clothing seems to complicated for it to be worth it for me. But at least I'll be able to hem my own pants!

Anyway, I've always been a bit jealous that womens' clothing were always more interesting. Now I get to be a part of it, w/o feeling creepy!

What do you think of this plan... once I get the hang of it... I plan on picking one standard skirt pattern and make like 100 of them, while practicing different specific details. A different waist or different pockets, zippers or buttons, etc.

If I make a bunch in succession (that are similar) I will also be able to track my progression like a time-line. What do you guys think about that idea?

I'm gonna check out that web site, too! Thanks again, guys!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Maria and Bridget have it right. Absolutely do not purchase a Brother or Singer or any other sort of sewing machine from Walmart or a discount place. Some sewing machine dealers in my area also offer these sorts of machines, and they lead to little more than a frustrating experience. You might get a couple of projects completed successfully, if the machine cooperates. I am looking to purchase a sewing machine in the near future, and am considering Pfaff. Until I change my mind that is and go with Janome or Bernina or...I am having more trouble making a decision for this purchase than I did when I chose a diamond.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Great thread! I've been toying with the idea also and wanted to see what machine to start with. My sister makes cornices and upholstered headboards as a hobby and makes good money. I don't have the space to work with all that wood, but I certainly would like to start making drapes and accessories. I can't afford my sis' turbo sewing machine (like Michael Knight's Kit car on speed lol) but I'd like a good basic machine. I grew up in a sewing family. My parents came from Poland and they did not have much money. My aunt was very fashionable in the city and couldn't afford to buy the clothes so she made them all. (Funny, she says she HATES sewing now. I always thought she loved it) Her and my mother made all of our prom dresses, my cousin's wedding gown, etc. I grew up with the BEST halloween costumes and learned to do some basic alterations and make some elastic waist shorts...but that's the extent of it...I'd love to get into it again.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
OK... my FW and I 'stole' an extra sewing machine out of her parents house the last time we were there.

It's a Singer Slant-o-Matic 603, circa 1963. Its kinda dusty and smells odd but looks like it works. We're thinking of having it checked over by a service place, but was wondering...

How much is too much to have this fixed or tuned up versus buying new? It looks like a solid machine. BTW, it was attached to a little hide-a-way desk that we couldn't take with us unfortuntately so we had to detatch it.

Thanks. VH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results