shape
carat
color
clarity

Can one resize a five stone band from a size 10 to a size 6?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Can one resize a five stone band from a size 10 to a size 6?

The band part is simple white gold.

Thanks & Happy Holidays.
Sonoma

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: Can one resize a five stone band from a size 10 to a siz

That all depends on these things:
1. What are the stones?
2. How big are they/how much room do they take up as a percentage of the band's circumference?
3. How are the held in place?
4. How thick is the band?
5. Doy you care if the ring is round afterwards or can it be oval?
6. How much do you want to spend? (A laser welder would allow you to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise, but the time cost of using them is fairly high as well).

Got a picture?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

Thanks Michael.

Diamonds. (Oh, I end up posting here cause I'm most familiar with you all.) Five stones to equal a .50 band. Appears to be regular prong set. Band is about 1/4" wide, I'm told. Can't put up a picture as the forum here might not like a link to that site.

OK, so you say there might be some problems. Actually, that is a bit of a relief cause I really did not need to spend the money right now.

Happy Holidays & much thanks.
sonoma

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Not so much problems as ways to get to the desired end result could be difficult. Typically you would remove an appropriate piece of material from the bottom of the ring and just force it to the right size by bending it. Since gems don't bend and the ones you describe take up a lot of the outer surface of the ring, one has to approach "bending" the area under the diamonds in a way that doesn't endanger the diamonds. On really thick, stiff sections or under diamonds like this, it is possible to place small saw cuts going from the inside of the band to a point about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through it. You then bend the inner part of the ring so that these saw kerfs close up, solder them and the sizing notch back together. Then finish the inside by sanding it back to round, smoothing polishing and you're done. This works well for any heat resistant stones, but will not work for heat sensitive stones and that's where the laser welder comes in handy, since you can weld areas back together with very little heat. So, yes, it can be done fairly easily, though it would probably cause the sizing cost to be higher. Sorry to take that excuse not to buy away...now you've GOT to get it. :twisted:

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

Thanks again Oh-Great-and-Knowledgable Michael. I am amazed by your knowledge (and in all your posts). I really appreciate your time and energy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results