shape
carat
color
clarity

Nicole Kidman Comments On Her Children

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I've always wondered since the kids seems to have really taken a back seat to the newest batch of kids, and the latest marriages...but after reading this I'm just really sad for those children...

Article:
http://www.usmagazine.com/momsbabies/news/nicole-kidman-misses-her-adopted-kids-with-tom-cruise-20102112

When I read this I was just really angry. She hasn't been photographed with the kids since 2007, and there is no accounting for how little/much time she's spent, unless you look closely at the comment at the end where she says "they are healthy and sane and together and great, great people...So I'm not one of those people who need to be reminded of what I have".

THOSE ARE HER CHILDREN. She seems very blase about them, like "oh, they didn't want to live me with me...oh well, they are doing fine".

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I didn't read your link but I did think about her kids when she did the Oprah show last month. Her daughter Sunday was mentioned but she didn't speak about the other 2 kids. At first I completely forgot she had 2 adopted kids...then I remembered

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
That's it exactly.

She's married now, has a biological child, and it appears her adopted babies have taken such a backseat they are all but forgotten. Of course, I say that keeping in mind we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but I get the feeling she can be very cold.

I think was struck me was how she speaks of them in abstract, similar to how you'd speak of someone you lost touch with long ago: "they're doing well"..."they have each other"..."they're happy"..."I don't need to be reminded"...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
atroop711|1293029357|2803680 said:
I didn't read your link but I did think about her kids when she did the Oprah show last month. Her daughter Sunday was mentioned but she didn't speak about the other 2 kids. At first I completely forgot she had 2 adopted kids...then I remembered

Atroop, I actually find this sadder than Italia's link. As for the article, some children of divorce live with mainly one parent. I don't like to make snap judgments because who knows what the family situation is. BUT it is a little telling that they would prefer to live with their father. She does say that she wishes they lived with her. I do find that last sentence odd, though. But I think it's so sad that she didn't even mention her kids to Oprah, like they don't exist or something. That bothers me. Maybe the relationship is bad right now, and she was uncomfortable talking about it?

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
Didn't she spend quite a bit of time in Australia after they divorced? I know she often said in interviews that she wanted to be back there (take that with a grain of salt, but still). Lots of times kids of divorcing parents are not allowed to be taken out of the country except with the explicit permission of the other parent. It's a gray area where the courts almost always keep the kids in the country where they currently reside rather than allowing them to go back and forth or immigrate unless the other parent allows it.

Just thought I'd put in that for another perspective. Obviously we don't know the truth and Tom Cruise has been notoriously secretive on those parts of his life.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I wouldn't share my deep hurt over this situation to a tabloid magazine like US. I would probably say something as vague and non-committal as Nicole Kidman said.

Just because our world is filled with people who have no shame and don't think twice about airing their dirty laundry, deepest emotions, or most private details in public doesn't mean that every single star should do the same, and it definitely doesn't mean that Nicole Kidman is a negligent mom who doesn't care about her kids because she doesn't mention them in an interview on Oprah or US. She sounds like a private person, and while I don't keep up with celebrity news at all, I would venture a guess that she's not one of those celebrities who shares every single detail of her life with the media.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Is there a reason why everyone feels she has done this to them more so than Tom? Tom and his ..... woman.... and their star child take the tabloid front row, but you never see the other kids. Isn't that just as bad?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I also get the impression she is a private person.

I also remember hearing at the time of her divorce, there was speculation that Tom had wanted Nicole to convert to Scientology and planned to raise their kids in it too...she didn't want to convert which was the start of the downfall of their relationship. From what I remember, she wasn't 'allowed' to speak about their divorce (had a gag order)...who knows, perhaps she has a gag order about their kids too...but as others have said, it's not something I'd discuss openly in front of millions of people either.

Her kids are teens, maybe they have asked her to not speak about them in public as well. Her young daughter is not at an age where she could really say anything that would be detrimental or embarrassing about her, so I can understand her speaking of her young daughter, vs. her older children.

None of us truly know what happened and never will within that family...but from what we see of his public persona, Tom Cruise seems to be a very controlling person...who knows how much influence he had/has over the older kids and how much involvement Nicole was allowed to have in their lives. He's an odd duck with a tremendous amount of influence, etc. Her hands may have been tied in a lot of ways. Sad all the way around.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Ara Ann|1293035252|2803729 said:
I also get the impression she is a private person.

I also remember hearing at the time of her divorce, there was speculation that Tom had wanted Nicole to convert to Scientology and planned to raise their kids in it too...she didn't want to convert which was the start of the downfall of their relationship. From what I remember, she wasn't 'allowed' to speak about their divorce (had a gag order)...who knows, perhaps she has a gag order about their kids too...but as others have said, it's not something I'd discuss openly in front of millions of people either.

Her kids are teens, maybe they have asked her to not speak about them in public as well. Her young daughter is not at an age where she could really say anything that would be detrimental or embarrassing about her, so I can understand her speaking of her young daughter, vs. her older children.

None of us truly know what happened and never will within that family...but from what we see of his public persona, Tom Cruise seems to be a very controlling person...who knows how much influence he had/has over the older kids and how much involvement Nicole was allowed to have in their lives. He's an odd duck with a tremendous amount of influence, etc. Her hands may have been tied in a lot of ways. Sad all the way around.

I can go along with a lot of that...Tom does seem to be a weirdo. However, she is the mother of two children...and I believe that mothers universally would agree that no amount of crazies would keep her from her children. I don't care what lawyers you have or what injunctions are enforced, we're still talking about a mother and her kids.

Truthfully, it just makes me sad. I'm not saying she's a bad person, I see her as cold--but I'm not coming down on her for that. I just look at these two beautiful children who were adopted by a couple whom have since moved on. They are rarely spoken of, and their mother seems very detached. Now, I could be wrong--we are talking Hollywood here...but on a basic level, going just on what we see/read, it makes me ache for those kids. Suri gets no shortage of gushing...people talk of her like she's the second coming, prancing around NYC with kitten heels and cherry red lips carrying a purse worth more than some people make in a month. Nicole has this life abroad with her country husband and new baby...I feel like the older two were simply left behind. Makes me feel bad.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would be a nightmare having everyone in the world know the details of my kids' lives and having cameras following them around. Hopefully Nicole has found a way of protecting her two kids from this!

I don't hold much faith in US mag. I love how there are always quotes from "friends" of famous stars. Who exactly are these "friends?"

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, it seems to me that being left behind is probably the best thing that happened to Isabella and Connor. They could have a chance at a reasonably normal existence.

Suri, on the other hand, is going to be a hot mess...

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
It is difficult for me to judge based on that article, and honestly I don't know that we are in a place to. It says they were last "photographed" together in 2007, but that does not imply that she hasn't seen them in all of that time. The big secret to avoiding paparazzi? Just don't live in LA, which I believe she no longer does. If her kids are visiting her anywhere outside of LA, that could explain the no photos.

Also, it makes sense that they chose to live with Tom, if Nicole was going to be moving to Australia/Tenn. What teenager would want to leave their school, friends, etc in high school? Divorce is tough on kids of any age, and I don't blame them for choosing to live with their dad, nor would I take that to mean anything negative about Nicole's position as a parent.

There is only so much you can presume to know about a family you aren't in.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I don't find her cold based on the article. Divorce is messy, messy, and messy. Her adopted children have their reasons for living in CA and I am sure both Nicole and Tom have their best interest at heart, regardless of how it seems.

Mother should be close to their children, but that does not mean the closeness can be forced. Maybe they are close in their own way. It does not mean they have to live together.

Also, for extremely wealthy people like movie stars, even if parents and children live together, I am 100% sure that the daily care of the children are given by the hired help, not by the mothers. We everyday people may not really understand what that kind of parent-child relationship is like.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I am thirty and my mother has learned after years of "getting in trouble" with me not to pass along information about me to ladies in the neighborhood or to aunts and uncles, etc. It's none of their business! If I preferred my mother not discuss my travel plans or engagement or how I was doing in school... I certainly can appreciate not wanting my mother to discuss my life on Oprah.

While it is possible that Nicole has neglected them, it is also possible that she is respecting their right to privacy and choosing to keep them out of the spotlight.

As for Tom and his family, pictures of Suri sell. Just because US Weekly doesn't print pictures of the family with Isabella or Connor, that does not mean they don't spend time with them. Similarly, there's no picture in the family album of my mom cooking, but it doesn't mean it didn't take up most of Christmas Day. Also, how many teenagers spend oodles of time with their parents running errands, which seems to be what gets photographed the most with Suri.

blueberrydot

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to interject that Tom and even Katie are fairly frequently photographed with Connor and Isabella. I (shamefully!) keep up with celebrity gossip sites and over the past year I've seen a handful of pictures of Tom out with Connor at Laker games, Isabella hanging out with Katie and Suri, etc. The two older children are definitely not photographed with the parents that much, but I'd say that's understandable considering their ages (along the lines of what Guilty Pleasure was saying, when I was a teenager, I for sure was not stepping out on the town with my parents very often!). Suri, of course, will be photographed so frequently because she's young enough (not yet preschool age, I think) that she's constantly with Katie as she is on set, going shopping, running errands, etc as the paparazzi are snapping away. I'm assuming (or hoping, for her sake) that the paparazzi attention will lessen as she starts school and thus spends a bit less time with her parents during the day. It's also likely that Isabella and Connor can't stand the paparazzi and they themselves limit the times they go out with their parents because they dislike being hounded by the lenses. Definitely a possibility.

As for Nicole, I agree that we don't know the whole story. I can admit that I have judged her for seemingly neglecting her two eldest, but that's probably unfair. Life is complicated. It does seem sad, though, that Nicole seems to spend so little time with them, whatever the reason may be.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I remember reading that they split the year with the kids...and she normally gets them and goes to Australia/Nashville/Fiji where it's not so paparazzi heavy as New York and LA where Tom is normally at.

She has also said in other interviews that because the kids are getting older they hate when they are talked about in interviews because it embarrasses them.

I would much rather she not talk about them and parade them around as dolls.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If she misses her kids so much why doesn't she a) visit them more often b) live closer to them? I am guessing she's able to jet set around the world, especially before she has Sunday, so they are never more than a day away.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and also, I hear that the scientology stuff has a lot to do with it also.....

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
zhuzhu|1293101220|2804502 said:
Also, for extremely wealthy people like movie stars, even if parents and children live together, I am 100% sure that the daily care of the children are given by the hired help, not by the mothers. We everyday people may not really understand what that kind of parent-child relationship is like.

This.

If there's kids I'm going to feel sorry for Nicole's adopted children are going to be among the last on my list. I mean think about it. All of the children in the world. Do these children really have "problems?" They're going to be taken care of for the rest of their lives. I'm sure they have enough money to make a phone call or get on a plane. I am completely not worried.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results