shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newatthis

Rough_Rock
Certification: GIA
Cut: Round Brilliant
Carat: 1.02
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Dimensions: 6.61-6.63 x 3.86 mm
Crown Angle: 32.5
Pavillion Angle: 40.4
Depth: 58.3%
Table: 59%
Gridle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Cutlet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Price: $ 8,400

Overall, I''m very pleased with the diamond. I would like to know what you guys think since I''m pretty inexperienced at this. As far as the setting, I''m planning on purchasing the 6-prong Tiffany style platinum from Superbcert. Should I send the diamond to them or have them send the setting to me and have the mounting done by the diamond-provider? Thank you.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Is this a stone you've purchased? It sounds like you like it, so congrats!

My thoughts... it has great spread for its carat weight, probably because both the crown and pavilion angles are pretty shallow. It might have a bit less fire because of the shallower crown and larger table, and white light return might be an issue when viewed very close because your head will obscure it. It's not an AGS 0 proportion stone, and I don't know if it was sold to you as such or as an H&A... my only concern there is that the price seems comparable to ideal cuts, which this is not...

That's being super picky, by the way. It does score a lovely 1.4 on the HCA
1.gif
, so you can probably be very happy with your purchase! Have you looked at it through an IdealScope?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Though I hadn't noticed as Quaeritur had that the diamond doesn't otherwise conform to AGS0 proportions, I did see that of the 3 diamonds visible here under the compare by cut database that have similar characteristics, the pricing is right exactly in-line with them, and I confirm the 1.4 HCA score with vg, ex,ex,ex characterisics.

Regarding the setting, it would seem to make sense to ship the ring, vs the diamond, moving the lower cost item to the higher cost item....with no other analysis given apart from the cost comparison in mind.

Best wishes,

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I seem to recall reading a thread within the last few months that SuperbCert refused to sell their setting to someone who bought a stone elsewhere, so you may want to check into that.

newatthis

Rough_Rock
First of all, thanks for responding.

I haven't purchased the stone yet. I wanted to see what you all thought about it. Obviously, I'm very inexperience because I don't know what "AGSO" means. Also, I haven't looked through it with an idealscope. Should I? Like I said, I am pleased with the diamond but wanted to make sure that I wasn't totally off-base.

As far as the setting, do you think that there will be any serious issues with an outside jeweler mounting the diamond onto the Superbcert setting? I don't want to find out afterwards that the finished product is not what I had imagined. I'm probably being too paranoid. Sorry, I never made a purchase like this before.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
You don't have crown height or pavilion height, so you can't get a complete grade, but the rest of your specs fall into the AGA 2A cut class range. According to the price stats compiled on this site, a D-VS2 in the 2A cut class goes for $7080 on average and $5340 lowest. Which means you aren't getting the best deal.

Is there a particular reason you are buying the stone separately from the setting? I would imagine that if you were trying to build a relationship with a jeweler, you would want to get the setting there too. Otherwise, to avoid potentially not being able get your setting, why not just buy the stone from SuperbCert too? They definitely have ones with similar specs in your price range.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
I haven't purchased the stone yet. I wanted to see what you all thought about it. Obviously, I'm very inexperience because I don't know what "AGSO" means. Also, I haven't looked through it with an idealscope. Should I? Like I said, I am pleased with the diamond but wanted to make sure that I wasn't totally off-base.

AGS, one of the main grading labs, gives a "cut" grade on its certs. AGS-0 is the highest grading for what AGS has labelled the best proportioned stones. However, they are currently revising their system (there's a thread about that now). People around here prefer using the Holloway Cut Adviser and the AGA charts (http://www.gemappraisers.com/) to evaluate the cut of a stone.

Since you feel a bit inexperienced, I would read through the Good Old Gold tutorial (http://www.goodoldgold.com/4csmain.htm). It's really long, but it would give any diamond novice all the information they need to know to start buying diamonds. VERY worthwhile.

I would want to see your diamond through an IdealScope because it will show you how significant (or insignificant) your light leakage is--which will affect how visually appealing your diamond is.

newatthis

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input.

Crown %: 12.8%
Crown Angle: 32.5
Pavillion%: 42.1%
Pavillion Angle: 40.4

I really like the setting from Superbcert as displayed on their website. Also, I don't feel too comfortable buying a diamond that I haven't seen in person.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
With those extra specs, it is a 2A across the board. Which, when combined with your HCA score, means that you have a well-cut diamond. Congrats!

That being said, it seems a bit expensive. You will pay premium for not buying on the internet--costs like rent, inventory, etc. are expensive. However, $1300-$1400 seems excessive. You probably could haggle the price down a bit.

Re: seeing the stone first, just to give you another decision to make
3.gif
, most online vendors by shipping it to an independent appraisers for you to view and get a professional opinion. Some places, I think SuperbCert is one of them, but I'm not sure, even cover shipping and insurance costs and don't require a deposit.

However, you've seen the stone and like it--so if you're happy with all that, go for it!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You could do one stop shopping and get this ideal cut, hearts and arrows stone from SuperbCert:

1.03 D VS2 H&A for $8390 You even save $10!
1.gif

As far as the stone you have found, I think it's a fine price for a stone that should have above average light return despite not being an AGS0 or a hearts and arrows stone. It's not a great steal, but it's not a ridiculous mark-up for a local store either.

However, since you were already planning on purchasing from SuperbCert, and because you can get a stone of the exact same size, color, and clarity, but with an unbelievable cut (and for the same price), I would consider getting that one instead.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I'm not well trained enough to make the suggestion either way, but Phoenix girl...despite the better light return on the one you show from Superbcert, running the HCA on that one shows likewise slightly inferior fire, scintillation and spread.

On the other hand, as Phoenix Girl suggests, you may mitigate any issues with the setting.

Glad I'm done with my purchase, best of wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results