shape
carat
color
clarity

Pit in my stomach-setting

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I recently purchased a stone from White flash, .90, J, SI1, Diamond Dossier (laser inscription on girdle). It is an excellent cut, Sarin Report graded it AGS 0 which I believe is ideal.

I purchased online because I wanted to be able to obtain a sarin/idealscope/aset image. My local jeweler was unabe to offer me this service. I wanted to make sure it was a really great performer!!

I purchased the setting at my local jeweler and brought the stone in today to have it set. The jeweler immediately asked me why I did not purchase from them and told me they have the same specifictions on a available stone and would give it to me for $150 less then I paid for my stone. I have no idea what lab graded the stone, I was not interested, I declined her offer. She said they wanted to keep my business with them.

I had her review the inclusions on my stone with me under the loupe and asked her if she could see the girdle inscription. She asked me if i was sure there was a laser inscription and I said yes and showed her the GIA cert. She said she could see the black markings but not the numbers. (she was using a loupe)

When she was writing up my receipt she did not put the GIA cert number for my stone on it, so I asked her to add it.

I am just nervous my stone is going to get switched with the other one she brought out to show me, as it was there in its wrapping the whole time next to mine, and at one point she took my stone in the back room with her.

It is not that I dont trust them, and I know my stone is nothing huge & spectacular but I did a lot of research and chose it for a reason.
I plan to take the stone to an indepent appraiser after it is set. Do you think the girdle will be visible if it is set in a bezel round setting? I just want to be sure the stone I purchased is the one that comes home with me in that ring.

Thanks
Cheri

jgny

Shiny_Rock
I don't think you will be able to read the inscription in a bezel setting. But a good appraiser will be able to tell if it is the same stone if they compare the stone against the inclusion plot, esp. with SI1's.

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
Unfortuntely GIA Diamond Dossier does not include an inclusion plot ::)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If your stone is a J it should have some distinctive inclusions and an appraiser should be able to verify whether or not the stone matches the GIA report or photos taken by WF (if worse came to worse you could have the stone unset and measured. Weight and dimensions usually are unique). However if you are that worried, then you don't trust the jeweler based on them offering you a stone when you already have one.

It always amazes me that people go into a store and tell the salesperson what they paid for their stone or where they got it from. It's none of their business whether it's a family heirloom, gift, reset or new stone. But you set yourself up for some negativity when a store feels like they just lost a large sale.

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
I did not necessarily tell them,but the diamond was wrapped in Whiteflash wrapping and it had the sticker on it, I was not sure of any other way to transport it there without losing it.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
The ASET/IS images from Whiteflash may show the inclusions of your diamond, so it should be easy to match it up with the photos.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that you should at least have some inclusions or something about the cut that will help you recognize your stone immediately.

I will say though if you are worried about your stone being switched, you should have gone elsewhere. You said you trust them, but you are still worried all the same.

Switching stones is an extremely rare occurrence in the USA though. It would ruin any business if it intentionally happened! The only time I know it happened was to someone many decades ago and when they realized what happened the store had suddenly closed and the owner ran off. That's pretty serious and very very unlikely that you will ever hear of that happening. So try not to worry.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand what you are asking for, did YOU inspect your own stone with the loupe so that you know what it looks like? It is a 1ct SI1 - by definition easy to find inclusions with the 10x loupe, so if you took note of what your stone's are you will have no problem recognizing the pattern(s) once see it again.

They are not going to risk their reputation by switching out a 0.9ct J SI1. Knowing your stone will prevent an accidental switch. So what is the issue?

ETA: unless you have a thicker girdle you will likely need super vision to read the inscription w/ a loupe, though you may recognize that there is one present - in any case if someone steals your stone it is easy to polish it out, but your characteristic inclusions are immutable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results