shape
carat
color
clarity

Gems w/ surface reaching feather

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
One of my new year's resolutions was to buy less gems. Guess i should scratch that one out before 2011 even begins, huh? ::)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it is hard. They are so beautiful.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1293064326|2804196 said:
One of my new year's resolutions was to buy less gems. Guess i should scratch that one out before 2011 even begins, huh? ::)

Or buy a lot of stones in the next two weeks. Then you could set up a staggered shipping for them so that you would get a new one each month!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
2011 resolutions don't count before March.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortekitty:

I have had the 1.99 ct on my wish list for a long time waiting to feel as if I "deserved" it. I received an unexpected Christmas gift and have been seriously contemplating buying it. You would be doing me such a favor if you were to buy it, since I just found out my son will need expensive braces :nono: and I should be spending the money elsewhere... That way I know it will go to a good home and be loved and cherished forever more. I agree with VL, you have two more weeks... :naughty:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Haha you guys are hilarious... total enablers!! :nono: :bigsmile: I'm going to wait and see some more pics... especially since i really liked the video for the 1.72 and it turned out to be.. not so vivid in real life. i'm not gonna get too invested in the 1.99 just yet!

If i dont find one, it's okay too. I realized i'm not a gem wearer... i'm a gem-you-better-stay-in-that-box-so-you-wont-get-hurt gem-mom. I'll take them out and stare at all the little boxes in the big box everyday, but not set them. And no gem deserves that kind of life. Really, i'm so tough on my stuff that my ruby and sapphire have huge chips in them, and i only wear them to work!! I even managed to chip my jade bangle, and those things are tough!! So yea.. we'll see.

Once again, thanks to everyone who helped me, especially TL!!! :wavey:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wouldn't have worried about the small feather at all. The fear of surface reaching inclusions is way over stated.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
i think u blew it buy returning the stone-unless u paid boucou bucks for the stone & u want perfection, b happy with what u did-i love certain inclusions-i have a chunk of yellow beryl that has a small feather almost center on the stone & i think it gives the stone character & u rairly see faux gems with these type of marks-i have an alexandrite stone that has a spilt milk type of inclusion that is usually associated with this material-its small but has good id for the appraiser-i enjoy looking at my demantoids & the proper horsetails inclusions within these stones-u have to remember u are buying material that is made in nature & certain inclusions only make ur stones not only more valuable but identifyable in most cases-my spinel with the grow-crystals is another good zample of good inclusions-to each his/hers own-beauty is more than skin deep-my 2.5 cnts-steve...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
PrecisionGem|1293123662|2804683 said:
I wouldn't have worried about the small feather at all. The fear of surface reaching inclusions is way over stated.

Gene- given my history of damaging gems (sapphire, ruby, diamonds), would you still say my worries are unwarranted? i had my diamond band for less than a month and chipped 3 stones, and it was only worn to my office job. :( How often do gems crack?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FK sounds like you must be very heavy on your jewellery so perhaps it was a wise move but I have to agree with Gene that it personally wouldn't have put me off (but then I'm light on my jewellery).

BTW if you don't buy that 1.99ct I will! It's sensational. I adore the cut, size and best of all, that colour is W :love: W. Don't waste time getting more photos because whilst I wouldn't snatch it out from under you, others will (especially lurkers!) so pull the trigger. At least you know with Tan that his returns policy is excellent.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
m76steve|1293125630|2804711 said:
i think u blew it buy returning the stone-unless u paid boucou bucks for the stone & u want perfection, b happy with what u did-i love certain inclusions-i have a chunk of yellow beryl that has a small feather almost center on the stone & i think it gives the stone character & u rairly see faux gems with these type of marks-i have an alexandrite stone that has a spilt milk type of inclusion that is usually associated with this material-its small but has good id for the appraiser-i enjoy looking at my demantoids & the proper horsetails inclusions within these stones-u have to remember u are buying material that is made in nature & certain inclusions only make ur stones not only more valuable but identifyable in most cases-my spinel with the grow-crystals is another good zample of good inclusions-to each his/hers own-beauty is more than skin deep-my 2.5 cnts-steve...

I love cool inclusions, and can certainly appreciate them! Crystals are especially cool.

In this case, i already bought an included spinel that is very saturated and vivid in color for $60, and wanted one that didn't have a feather at the surface if i'm spending $700. I would not have minded if it was a crystal, even if it was in the middle of the stone! And my history of chipping the crap out of my sapphire and ruby really did scare me. The surface is so abraided that my jeweler couldn't figure out what the heck i did.. and i only wore it to work!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1293127546|2804741 said:
m76steve|1293125630|2804711 said:

I love cool inclusions, and can certainly appreciate them! Crystals are especially cool.

In this case, i already bought an included spinel that is very saturated and vivid in color for $60, and wanted one that didn't have a feather at the surface if i'm spending $700. I would not have minded if it was a crystal, even if it was in the middle of the stone! And my history of chipping the crap out of my sapphire and ruby really did scare me. The surface is so abraided that my jeweler couldn't figure out what the heck i did.. and i only wore it to work!

Yes but did you tell your jeweller that you're a Miner?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
hahaha... he knows i work in Public Works, so he asked if i was a construction engineer... nope! just a desk job.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i saw the 1.49 but it has a chip!! you can see it clearly in the video.. hahaha i think i've looked at eveyrthing on there already! I'm waiting to see a picture of the 1.99... i dont want to deal with returning such an expensive item overseas!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good eye! I completely missed the chip! I wish ebay vendors would disclose extremely important things like that in the description! :nono:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1293134142|2804854 said:
i saw the 1.49 but it has a chip!! you can see it clearly in the video.. hahaha i think i've looked at eveyrthing on there already! I'm waiting to see a picture of the 1.99... i dont want to deal with returning such an expensive item overseas!

Yep but if you spoke to Tan I'm sure he would discount it. That chip would be hidden by a prong. If you got the spinel for under $500 then would you consider it?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
he wont go that low, i already asked.. but that color is gorgeous!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and especially if you are not even sure you want it set, but may be getting it just to enjoy in a gem box, that chip is probably worth avoiding...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing: doesn't it look like the color is a bit enhanced on that one? Like the contrast has been turned up or something?

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
had to post a pic of the yellow beryl w/the feather within the stone-not to bad a pic-u can see the inclusion @ dead center & just off to the left-i think this inclusion really gives the stone character-something that is all natural and unique-skindeeper beauty-the steve...

008.JPG

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ForteKitty|1293126993|2804727 said:
PrecisionGem|1293123662|2804683 said:

Gene- given my history of damaging gems (sapphire, ruby, diamonds), would you still say my worries are unwarranted? i had my diamond band for less than a month and chipped 3 stones, and it was only worn to my office job. :( How often do gems crack?

Do you think your damaged stones are the result of a small feather type inclusion reaching the surface? I'm guessing since it's not just one stone by many that are chipped it has nothing to do with inclusions. One of the hardest things that a stone goes through is getting cut an polished. Most inclusions if they are going to present a problem will present it during the polishing or cutting stages.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I chipped a fancy light yellow pear that had a feather on one side, near the point... there's a chunk missing now. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results