shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncertified Diamond...reputable merchant..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tagrims

Rough_Rock
I am looking into buying an engagement ring, it''s a three stone ring. It''s total weight is 1.08 ct. (I know the weight isn''t the big thing)...

Anyways, I have been shopping around and the above ring is one that I have somewhat settled on. Unfortunately it is not certified. However, the guy has been in business for over 25 years (before that it was his fathers), comes with great references (BBB record is immaculate) and he has certification from the GIA. (He also seemed to have a lot of repeat business from satisfied customers while I was in the shop) The reason why this particular ring is not certified is because he says he doesn''t bother getting something certified unless it is over 1ct. (this is a 3 stone ring, so no one stone is over 1ct). He showed me differences between various rings and what he would grade them etc etc. But I am still hesitant because it has not been officially certified.

Should I purchase this ring? He stands buy his work, his BBB report was very good and he seemed very intent on educating me the differences between cuts and clarity. Allowing me to look at different stones under the microscope and comparing them to the ring I have picked out.

He said quickly examining it he would probably grade it an H for color and an SI2 for clarity. It''s a 14k yellow gold ring with a .55ct center stone and two smaller side stones, total diamond weight is 1.08 ct. He will sell for $1,800. Should I even consider this even though it is not certified?

One final question, I am not sure if I should get a three stone or a solitare. I like the look of the three stone and my girlfriend has a three stone ring (hand me down, no diamonds) that she adores. The rest of her jewelry is modest and not real bulky. (I personally think most solitares sets are too bulky, but it''s not about me) Do three stone rings look weird on certain types of fingers? (My girlfriend is a size 6 1/2 and has small fingers)

Thanks for any and all help.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
IMO, the fact that the diamonds are not 'certified' is no reason to worry in this situation.

It makes no sense to send three diamonds of this size and quality to a lab for reports, primarily because it could add $200-$300 plus shipping and insurance both ways to the jewelers cost of the ring.

I would say most jewelers that put together nice diamond rings (this sounds like a nice three stone ring) of this size combination would do the same as this jeweler.

It sounds like a good jeweler, the repeat customers are always a good sign.

As far as your question: the three stone versus a solitaire.

I would say go with your hunch, the three stone.

I am sure the jeweler would let you exchange it for a solitaire if need be.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a non-certified stone or ring, especially if it is a jeweler you feel you trust. The most important thing is what your eyes see and if it fits in your budget and if you like it, I'd say go for it.

Sometimes we forget what it all means and get too hung up on certificates, numbers and the like. If the ring sings to you, you cannot go wrong. Give it with your heart and you are sure to get a yes.
2.gif

All the best.

-Kmom
wavey.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
SI2 is the best clarity to self grade - ask him to show you under magnification, and if you can not see it, or have difficulty seeing it, with your naked eye, then no need for a cert
1.gif

Use cloudy day daylight or fluoro type flood light - not spot lights.

I find that when compared to a D or E colored diamond, about 1/2 the people I test can detect a hint of yellow face up in an H in shaded daylight. Most can see the color in an I colored diamond. Ask the jeweller to mix the stones up so you do not know which is which.

No need for the report if the stone passes these tests
1.gif

but cut quality - that's another thing.....

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Why don't you buy it and take it to an independant appraiser? They should be able to tell you in a general sense (because the stones are already mounted) what the grades are, and what the ring is worth. It would probably set you back about $100-ish. If your jeweler is amenable to the option of you returning the ring if you don't like what the appraiser said, I'd do that. That way, you have an uninterested third party verifying that your money is well-spent; peace of mind is worth an extra $100 to me, especially on an uncerted ring.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let me just add in here that some retailers (me included) would be mortified when a customer (who we have a good relationship with) would suggest sending a stone or piece to an independant appraiser.

Call me old fashioned......

(just don't call me late for dinner)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results