shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal-Scope image software

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now, in one easy step, we can provide Ideal-Scope images of your diamond. This will shortly be a part of our AGA-CERT process and the software is available to the trade for their use. It was designed for the Canon G-5 camera, but it works well with the Digital Eos Rebel 300D also. The photo is a one step sample shot...

ISC0006.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice adevertisment.

A demo and more info would have been nice rather than a rule breaking promotion.....

climber

Rough_Rock
Well it was actually more info. than anything. That helps me stay competitive.

Thank you Old Miner

You have offered so much FREE help on this site that I think a little rule break is OK by me.

Thanks Again!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is NOT an advertisement. There is no offer to sell the product only advising that we will use this product and that others can use it, too. The product is NOT my own, but Garry Holloway's software. This will benefit the consumer and it won't be a much of a benefit for me to have my competition also have it.... How can a consumer ask for a service to be provided if they are are unaware that it can be easily performed? How can an appraiser know this can be accomplished easily now without a notice to read? Pricescope is a very busy site and lots of good people will possibly benefit.

I think that if you want to stretch it, you could say that every timne I post here it is an advertisement. Why would I expend so much effort to guide people without any reward? That's how the system works. If you are generous with good advice you build credibility andf hopefully your business also is rewarded. It isn't immoral or against the rules to promote oneself or one's best products, but agaisnt the rules to pitch products for no one's benefit but your own.. There is a fine line and I really try not to push the limits, but obviously without the reward of emotional and/or financial success, I could not be such a regular participant on Pricescope.....

Hope that clears the air and satisfies the concerns. The demo was the sample photo taken in one step.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont like argueing with you because your a good guy but some points:
1> you sell Gary's stuff that means you have a vested interested in it.
2>others have been slammed for a lot less see my pm to you.
3> a technology overview would have been better with comparisons with other sytems if they are available.
More information on what it does, how it does it, what is required to use it, an idependant report on the results.
Screenshots and what not.
That would make it less like an advertising.

hmm like I thought when I go to your website and click on ideal-scope family of tools what do I find.
Yep your offering it for sale on your website.

This is the last Im going to comment on it I have no desire to get into a pissing contest over this with one of the good guys :}

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sure, my website offers many things. Information, services, some simple tools and even the Holloway software. Primarily my participation here is a service, for free, to consumers that have been misused and abused for many years. Indirectly, my reward is emotional and financial. No question that I promote my services and products, but every appraiser here comes on to advise and to promote. Every vendor, even the very best of them, that comes here to offer expert advice, wants to convert this into sales at some point. We all need to eat and make money. The manner in which promotion is done has bearing on the value and validity of the effort.

Holloway does have photos of the set-up on his site, but the purpose of this was really to say that we are upgrading the info we provide on our AGA-CERT and that others who do appraising could also proved it, too. I think this is a generous effort, not blatant, not just self serving. It is subtle and admittedly slightly commercial, but not "in your face" commercial or a hard sales pitch. There is value in this information.

Now, if there is no interest, this thread will die within a day or so. If there is interest, this thread will have a few days life. I won't mention it again, I promise. But, I do feel it was fair to make it a topic. The topic should have been "Ideal-Scope imaging now made simple".

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
David,

Regarding the photo. I just purchased tools from Jennifer at AGA.

My ideal scope image just doesn't look like that.

First, what is the exact way to position the stone? I can get dark arrows, light arrows, solid look, leaky spots, and all kinds of colors by moving the stone and lighting into different areas.

If I use the light tray, I can get a fairly consistent image, but it is different in two ways than your image above.

1. the center 'square' has this translucent look.
2. the over all look is bright pink, not red, much less dark red.

Any suggestions will help.

Thank you.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The main differenceis exposure time and aperature opening. I can make it more pink with more light. Being directly perpendicular makes the image come out properly, too. There are many possible variables that a flat tray and constant lighting eliminate.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I can answer a few questions.

The difference in darkness of color is an exposure issue. You can desaturate and lighten a pink image and make it red or vice a versa. The basic information remains the same. If you are using the plastic scope it helps if you can put the camera lens right onto the scope lens. That stops silvery reflections off the lens.

This new system is one that I urge all people (other than perhaps 8*) to adopt because it will standardise ideal-scope/Firescope type images.
Also because the capture, cropping and filing system is quick and easy it makes it more likely people will use individual actual photo's and not recycled stock photo's.

The software is $1,500. That seems a high price to some, but we have so far spent 37 days of contract programming (not counting my own staff's time) - and we are still making further enhancements. I may never regain that outlay, but I believe it will help retailers and consumers to buy diamonds that they know are well cut.

We have a recomended set of professional stand, lighting, macro lenses etc equipment that we are happy to pass out also if anyone wishes to contact info@ideal-scope.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
First that is a great photo SkiBum.

Second we are about standardizing the lighting issues you have desciribed - there would be no need to be able to identify the backgroud.
1.gif

Finally, to the contrary, stronger backlight makes leakage exaggerated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results