shape
carat
color
clarity

Vaporizer vs Humidifier...HELP!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know which is better between a vaporizer and a humidifier and cold mist or warm mist? I am particularly interested in Vicks brand products and have checked out their website but there seems to be so many options and I'm more confused now than before. I'm not sure if they all basically do the same thing or if one is better than the other...can anyone provide any knowledge or reviews? I am looking for something that will help with cough and chest congestion. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I'm assuming for a little one?

For my daughter, I used both a plug-in vicks vaporizer and a cool mist humidifier. My pedi suggested we use a cool mist. The plug in is very small and works almost like one of those plug-in scents.

The last time she was very sick, she was much younger so I didn't feel comfortable applying vicks directly on her. Now, if she does get sick I'll put it on her feet which I've heard from lots of moms works really well. If LO is under 1, then I would skip putting vicks directly on the body.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Fiery, after looking through all of the products on the website I was thinking of just that option, the plug-in and a cool mist humidifier, now, regarding the humidifier do you use just the basic cool mist? not the ones that are able to be used with the vapours? I am looking into it for a little one, he's six years old.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Ah. Well, my daughter was under 1 when we got our humidifier so I purchased a basic one. But I'm a huge fan of the power of vicks so for an older kid I would go for one that can be used with the vapors. My mom used that for us when we were sick and I remember loving it.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so very much for your input Fiery! :) I really appreciate it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we got a warm mist for our little boy, but a lot of moms like the cool mist. i read information online for both and i just liked the idea of warm mist better. it seems to work fine for our little boy when he's congested. i also read the cold mist can trap more bacteria, so you have to be really diligent about cleaning it and drying it between uses. we got a vicks warm mist one for like $30 after coupon at BRU--you can use the vicks liquid with it as well.

also i would def put vicks on the body for an older child.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Mara! I ended up getting a Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier and will keep it maintained as per the instructions that came with it (the bacteria thing is something that worried me about both machines as I've heard/read that they can both cause more problems if not maintained and used properly), I also purchased a Neo Citran Flowing Vapours battery operated vaporizer that sits on his dresser plus used Vicks Vaporub.

The Warm Mist machine intrigued me but I ultimately decided to go with the Cool Mist + Vapour Fan + Vaporub combo. The vapours that come out of the fan are very soothing and I am quite impressed that it delivers that much into the air from such a little contraption. He coughed once in the night and then nothing again until morning when he started moving around again which is significantly improved from the continuous nights he's spent coughing away which I'm sure has been affecting his quality of sleep. I still might pick up the Vicks Warm Mist machine as I'm sure it would be much more affective for times when he is congested but for now he doesn't seem to be, he just is having a hard time kicking his cough. The air has been so dry here lately and only the Cool Mist mentioned anything about adding more moisture to the air whereas the Warm Mist mentioned using vapours to soothe congestion and it seemed to me that it was the only thing it does. Making these choices can be so overwhelming! I'm hoping that mixing the Cool Mist with the Vaporub and vapour fan will give him the best of both worlds but having so many options I easily find myself wondering if it was the best. The fact that it has reduced his coughing should be enough but without actually trying the other options I feel like I could be missing out on something better for him, because you don't know what you don't try. You can think something is amazing for a long time and then try the other option once and realize you should have been doing it that way from the start and when it comes to little ones you feel helpless enough as it is not being able to make it go away but then you question if what you do is what will help them the most! Guh! Okay, I've rambled enough!

Thank you so very much Mara and Fiery for responding to my thread, you both were very helpful and I appreciate both of your input. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results