shape
carat
color
clarity

excited and bummed

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
After I posted about my cheap sapphire ebay purchase and found out that the vendor was notorious for not shipping the item, I was really discouraged and felt the need to "fill the void" in case the gem didn't arrive. So, I made a really impulse buy and contacted Jeff White. I basically gave him an inexpensive budget and said I wanted a cushion shape gem around 6mm. I also informed him which color I preferred. Well.. 5 weeks later (which is totally not an issue as I was not in any hurry and he did let me know of his timeline). I got a beautiful rhodolite garnet with some orange undertones. May I say wow.. I thought my sapphire was nice but this is REALLY NICE. So that's the exciting part. Now the bummed part.. before I got the gem, I won a bid for the same setting on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-GOLD-DIAMOND-SEMI-MOUNT-RING-PRINCESS-6MM-SETTING_W0QQitemZ270664809824QQcategoryZ92909QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5215823495032075491

It's really pretty and very delicate. I got it a while back and eagerly awaited setting the stone in it. But IT DOESN'T FIT!! ;( I thought the dimensions provided would suit a 6mm stone, but it's just too big.

I know I know.. I'll post pics, but I just got it and had to put the kids to bed and I don't have any good lighting at night. Will post pics tomorrow.

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
hello admin.. I don't know what I did wrong but this post runs long and falls outside the screen shot. What do I need to do to fix it? thank you

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to seeing your photos - I've got a hankering to see a beautiful sapphire! Sorry your setting is too big, though. I find that the most important measurement is not side to side, but a diagonal, corner to corner measurement, especially if that's where the prongs are. If you think about it, a cushion with rounded sides will have a shorter diagonal measurement than a square/princess with straight sides, even if they both measure 6mm across. You also have to remember to factor in cut corners on square stones like asschers. But all is not lost - you just might need to get another stone for this setting! :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani is correct; you have to take into consideration that a cushion cut has rounded corners whereas a princess cut as that edge sticking out, which is why cushions generally do not fit well into a princess cut setting. I'm sorry it doesn't fit. ;(

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the delay in posting these. I left my camera at a friend's house. The smudge from my grubby fingers does not do this beautiful stone justice.

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
OOH, I like it! :cheeky:

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
thanks VBNet... it's REALLY hard to take a good picture of the stone! Do you think it's too small for the setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results